Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Problems won't go away. What else could there be?

Views : 15867

Replies : 144

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2020, 22:26   #11
Simmy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
I bought a £75 VIDA and a £50 ThinkPad fitted with an SSD and also a car charger for the laptop for £6. So my complete working VIDA cost me £131 and if I had had a working laptop upon which to run it, the cost would have been £81. You really don't need a great laptop. The thing runs on Win7 so a 10 year old laptop would work for it just fine! The ThinkPad is built like a brick outhouse and serves the purpose of a dedicated piece of car test equipment. It runs quite fast because of the SSD but even an unmodified old laptop would be perfectly adequate. This is old technology and only needs obsolete gear to run it.
where did u get your dice from to use vida on your car as there are many units sold that simply do not work
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2020, 01:45   #12
venomtail

The one you linked seems pretty good, I'll probably get it. £80 is not too bad.

Also on the site it says comes in a bundle with a £50 VIDA DICE software. Is that needed or is there a free version on the web and the store is just offering you one for money?
venomtail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to venomtail For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2020, 15:08   #13
Tatsfield
Premier Member

No way of knowing exactly what the supplier has in mind but without the software the cable is useless and all the DiCE cables I've seen advertised come with a VIDA software disk. Let's be honest, the software is Volvo proprietary and selling it to you is a grey area at best but with the age of the cars which the 2014D version covers, Volvo may be turning a blind eye to the free promulgation of their software. They might take a different view to someone selling what isn't theirs to sell! I'm sure that the link I gave includes the 2014D version FOC. Mention of selling additional software seems to refer to cars later than 2015 now being covered by the free disc. My assumption was that the 2014D would cover most people but that's probably because I have come to Volvo via the Peugeot 406 Coupe which went out of production in 2004 and all those cars are covered by the equivalent Peugeot software which comes free with the equivalent Peugeot diagnostics cable. Sorry if anyone with a car later than 2015 has been mislead by my posting.
Old Apr 16th, 2020, 20:35   #14
venomtail

Default Update after another attempt at fixing

So after another clean of the DPF filter, changing new temperature sensors and a new pressure sensor, the car still stuggles to run, especially when going uphill.

Going for a ride around there was normal white smoke the first few minutes and after that black smoke again. Goes much better than before but still not at an acceptable condition for the roads. I tried to redline it and it went to a maximum of 3.5k rpm, as if it still doens't want to give enough power. Last time I went to my mechanic it only read 3 errors, DFP filter being full, temperature sensor mal****ion and pressure sensor malfunction. All 3 have been adressed but still doesn't run.

What else could be there? Anyone have any other ideas?
I guess I'll have to wait till the volvo dealership opens up again so I can get a diagnostic there.
Old Apr 16th, 2020, 21:09   #15
seanc

What variant of diesel engine is it? 2.0D, D3 or D5?
Have you tried unplugging the MAF sensor and driving it?
Have you checked for any split turbo boost hoses? Mine split and it threw a MAF error.
There's also a TMAP sensor down in the turbo pipe... but I've not read of it causing your issues.

It's a shame I can't help more, because I have vida/dice sitting here and also an S80 I can't drive right now.
Old Apr 16th, 2020, 21:19   #16
venomtail

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Have you checked for any split turbo boost hoses? Mine split and it threw a MAF error.
There's also a TMAP sensor down in the turbo pipe... but I've not read of it causing your issues.

It's a shame I can't help more, because I have vida/dice sitting here and also an S80 I can't drive right now.
The MAF sensor was changed when this whole thing started. I haven't unplugged to see if it does anything now.
As far as I remembe all the hoses looked fine and I think the mechanic would have also spotted if there would had been anything wrong when he was fixing the engine. I will double check though.
No idead about the TMAP sensor. Haven't checked it nor heard that it could cause issues. Will check however.

BTW, which vida/dice do you have? I was thinking I might get one. Also, is it possible that a diagnostics at my mechanics might have missed some fault codes because the car was sitting still and not on a machine to drive it like in volvo dealership services?
Old Apr 16th, 2020, 21:33   #17
seanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomtail View Post
The MAF sensor was changed when this whole thing started. I haven't unplugged to see if it does anything now.
As far as I remembe all the hoses looked fine and I think the mechanic would have also spotted if there would had been anything wrong when he was fixing the engine. I will double check though.
No idead about the TMAP sensor. Haven't checked it nor heard that it could cause issues. Will check however.

BTW, which vida/dice do you have? I was thinking I might get one. Also, is it possible that a diagnostics at my mechanics might have missed some fault codes because the car was sitting still and not on a machine to drive it like in volvo dealership services?
I saw you'd replaced it, it's worth a try - it's free! Mine drives pretty much the same with it unplugged, although it does rev higher on startup until it settles down.

I have a Dice (clone I believe) unit purchased from cheshired5 and he sent a copy of Vida 2014D. That's the latest version usable without a subscription. It's usable and lots of interesting diagnostics in there.

You didn't mention what version of the diesel engine you have?

Out of curiosity, how much did your transmission re-build cost?
Old Apr 16th, 2020, 22:26   #18
ferg55

Was your MAF sensor replaced with a new OEM Bosch one? Because new non-OEM (cheap) ones are known to be unreliable. If you can swap out the MAF with a known good one, that would rule it out. Your symptoms do sound like a MAF fault, although could be a number of other things.
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2020, 22:33   #19
venomtail

Quote:

Quote:
I saw you'd replaced it, it's worth a try - it's free! Mine drives pretty much the same with it unplugged, although it does rev higher on startup until it settles down.

I have a Dice (clone I believe) unit purchased from cheshired5 and he sent a copy of Vida 2014D. That's the latest version usable without a subscription. It's usable and lots of interesting diagnostics in there.

You didn't mention what version of the diesel engine you have?

Out of curiosity, how much did your transmission re-build cost?
I'm seeing the error I made. I'll correct it but it was actually just a full transmission oil change. My god if it was a full rebuild I don't think I'd ever be prepeared so see such a bill.

2006 D5, on paper the 185HP one but as far as I remember one time at a different expensive mechanic he said it was the 205HP variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg55 View Post
Was your MAF sensor replaced with a new OEM Bosch one? Because new non-OEM (cheap) ones are known to be unreliable. If you can swap out the MAF with a known good one, that would rule it out. Your symptoms do sound like a MAF fault, although could be a number of other things.
Yes it was a genuine MAF sensor for about £95 not one of those chinese parts. I never buy Chinese parts. Not worth it
Old Apr 18th, 2020, 19:07   #20
Maurice Mynah
New Member and total Prat

A small job you haven't mentioned is changing the fuel filter. I usewd to make my own diesel fuel which caused fuel filters to clag up when the car first ran on it. The symptoms sound very similar to those you have described. Lack of power, white exhaust smoke and I'm pretty sure it would trigger a "service me" warning.
Maurice Mynah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maurice Mynah For This Useful Post:

Tags
limp mode