Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What exhaust to buy?

Views : 1610

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 28th, 2019, 09:29   #11
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Part of the reason the exhausts seem so prone to fracture is I believe that the rear silencer rubber hangers allow too much upward bounce. The exhaust doesn't just "hang" - it has to be robust in resisting rebound.
I stick wine corks in the space in the rubber between the two mounting holes.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2019, 10:46   #12
craicedup

Brookhouse is listing £116 delivered for cat back kit to mainland uk
craicedup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to craicedup For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2019, 23:54   #13
dan 244
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
I had to replace my 3 year old Volvo FRF exhaust as the back box and over axle pipe rotted away. Went over a speed bump and the tailpipe dropped off and on looking welds very rusty and over axle pipe holed!

The rear hanger rubber split within days and ended up fitting one for a ford. It seemed at the time the Volvo exhaust kit wasn't available so bought a euroflow make which worked fine but needed a few tweaks to fit to replace the Volvo kit.

James.
So are you saying the FRF one was genuine Volvo that fell to bits? Or that they supplied something different as they couldn’t get the Volvo one? If it was the Volvo one I find that very strange, as I said the one I bought in 2005 was on the car for over 100k and lasted just over 10 years. The new one is just the same quality to look at, it’s heavy and well finish. And it’s no more money than a cheep aftermarket kit!
dan 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dan 244 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2019, 01:34   #14
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan 244 View Post
So are you saying the FRF one was genuine Volvo that fell to bits? Or that they supplied something different as they couldn’t get the Volvo one? If it was the Volvo one I find that very strange, as I said the one I bought in 2005 was on the car for over 100k and lasted just over 10 years. The new one is just the same quality to look at, it’s heavy and well finish. And it’s no more money than a cheep aftermarket kit!
Unfortunately yes, a genuine Volvo.

The old exhaust that came with the car the back box fell to bits and phoned FRF and the back box and tailpipe was £70 on its own or whole kit around £144 delivered. Went with whole kit and fitted it. Lasted no more than 5 years for some reason and ended up buying aftermarket as was told the Volvo kit NLA on the forum.

It may of rusted out more as I generally parked on grass and in the last 3 years of ownership didn't do many miles as bought a 940

It did seem weighty and well made but in my case didn't last.

On my 940 I have a BM make exhaust inc downpipe, on for 2 years and its ok but fit isn't the best as blowing on over axle to back box join as one pipe bigger than other. Needs re sealing with the exhaust paste.

James.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2019, 11:54   #15
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
Part of the reason the exhausts seem so prone to fracture is I believe that the rear silencer rubber hangers allow too much upward bounce. The exhaust doesn't just "hang" - it has to be robust in resisting rebound.
I stick wine corks in the space in the rubber between the two mounting holes.

Thank you Clifford. And you have previously advised about fitting bolts (M10 if I remember correctly) to be longer support pins for the rear rubber hangers, so the rubber hangers do not fall off the support pins.

I do wonder if the support arrangement causes or contributes to problems such as Volvo Always has experienced.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2019, 21:25   #16
volvo always
Premier Member

I think the other reason the back box and over axle pipe rots out is it's in direct fire of road water spray from the rear wheel arch well.

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 16:08   #17
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
I think the other reason the back box and over axle pipe rots out is it's in direct fire of road water spray from the rear wheel arch well.

James
But was that short runs and parked on long wet grass?

Stephen
Old Oct 4th, 2019, 12:22   #18
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

The Volvo exhaust pipe is fitted and seems OK. Some years of time will tell how good the exhaust is or is not.

The garage had a little difficulty with one of those rear rubber hangers. The exhaust was hitting the body when I started the engine. But they had elaborated the simple bolt and washer, that I had fitted to provide a longer "screw with pin" support. Once they restored my simple arrangement all seems to be good to go. Thanks again for the long bolt instead of short pin idea Clifford.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2021, 10:16   #19
Lucien
VOC Member

Stephen, how is your exhaust holding up?

I have a blow from my backbox. It's the original exhaust from new, so can't complain!

I'm thinking of ordering Volvo again from FRF. Cheaper to buy the whole system (downpipe back, no cat) and seems very good value.

With a pair of wheel ramps, is this a simple DIY job, or best done by a garage?

Thanks
Lucien
Lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2021, 10:44   #20
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien View Post
Stephen, how is your exhaust holding up?

With a pair of wheel ramps, is this a simple DIY job, or best done by a garage?

Thanks
Lucien
It is a simple DIY job.

Alan