Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo B5 engine details

Views : 5739

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 15th, 2020, 21:25   #21
Scotia64

My understanding of the 2nd battery is that it only kicks in up to 12 mph , it’s only there to help the car pull away.
Old Jun 16th, 2020, 02:07   #22
Cull06
Master Member

I’ve asked the question to Polestar to see what they say about the B5.

My dealer are talking about replacing my T5 polestar with a B5.

But the t5 with polestar added an extra 50nm approx of torque in the mid range, which is a significant boost that I know I would miss. This new b5 has slightly more torque than t5 vanilla but lower than the polestar and has the heavy battery to carry too.
Cull06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2020, 09:38   #23
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotia64 View Post
My understanding of the 2nd battery is that it only kicks in up to 12 mph , it’s only there to help the car pull away.
That's similar to PowerPulse which only operates in first or second gear and up to a maximum speed of ~15mph. The hybrid motor of the B5 would appear to perform the same function (more or less) as PowerPulse therefore.

I think it's very unlikely that both systems would be fitted, not least because of the additional costs and complexity.

For anyone interested, PowerPulse is initiated when the following conditions are met:
 Gas pedal position > 36%.
 Gas pedal movement speed > 100%/s.
 Gear 1 or 2 regardless of automatic or manual switch mode.
 The engine speed < 2000 rpm.
 Air valve calculated temperature is > +5C.
 Temperature is calculated from the gearbox oil temperature to exceed about +25C.
 Ambient temperature > -15C
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 01:34   #24
2022B5

Default Auto Stop/Start

Just picked up a 2022 B5. How in God's name do you shut off the auto stop/start? The directions say go to the main screen and shut it off where the bending headlights, active safety stuff, ect. is. I've looked there, in settings, and in the car for it. Does anyone know where this secretive button is? I'm also wondering if Volvo did away with it with the 2022's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
2022B5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 08:12   #25
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Have you scrolled the screen up, there are more icons further down the screen, you can also use dynamic mode which does not use stop start or set up individual mode not to use it, (if you have mode settings)
Stop start is on by default every time you start your engine and can't be turned off permanently you have to make a deliberate action to turn it off each time.

P.S, you can alter the position of the screen icons the same way you do on your phone or tablet, hold finger on icon and slide it to the position you want it to make it easier to access.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Sep 18th, 2021 at 08:14.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 13:10   #26
xsaab
Master Member

I have had a B5 XC60 for almost 2 years and driven just over 6K miles. So not very far (3 trips outside of the UK all cancelled).

I have been observing the gauge that indicates when the auxillary battery is charged which is only during active braking and not when the engine is slowing the car down. So if the car is driven very carefully ie not using the footbrake the auxillary battery would loose charge and not assist the acceleration on start up.
How long would it be before the auxillary was not assisting the take off?
How long would it take to charge up the auxillliary battery?

Just some questions.
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xsaab For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 21:51   #27
MindlessJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2022B5 View Post
Just picked up a 2022 B5. How in God's name do you shut off the auto stop/start? The directions say go to the main screen and shut it off where the bending headlights, active safety stuff, ect. is. I've looked there, in settings, and in the car for it. Does anyone know where this secretive button is? I'm also wondering if Volvo did away with it with the 2022's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You can't disable it on the MY22.
Old Sep 21st, 2021, 08:32   #28
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindlessJD View Post
You can't disable it on the MY22.
Interesting, my MY21 has gone in for its first year service today, I'm wondering if a software update might remove the ability to disable start stop? Not at all bothered if it does to be honest, never felt the need to disable it on my MY17 D5, and the new B5 I have now is even more seamless with the mild-hybrid system. When we have the cycle rack on, I find it mildly frustrating that the start/stop is disabled automatically (trailer lights plugged in).

:wq