Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

AWD Haldex and diff issues

Views : 33860

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 7th, 2021, 21:40   #31
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian B View Post
Hi. Iam a newbie ish so please understand .Iam hoping I am in the right area.
I have a XC60 2012 manual box with AWD. 100k on clock. New to me!
It has a gen 5 unit.Just changed the oil and cleaned it out.
My simple question. If I park on a muddy surface, set off the front wheels slip for split second then the back wheels turn and I get a grip and travel on the slippy mud ok.
So I guess at this moment all 4 wheels are powered.
Am I correct to say my AWD system is ok?
Regards
IMHO Short answer :- yes

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 21:54   #32
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

My two penneth of experience regarding DEM failure.

My issues started with occasional anti skid service warnings. I then noticed fuel consumption had risen & I had no idea why.
My next sympton was a 'rumble' similar to an early wheel bearing failure but I had trouble locating it and it wasn't prevalent when turning left or right.
Eventually, over some months, more spurious messages appeared and eventually I got the brake failure message along with no tacho, speedo or water temp.

I was convinced it was the CEM (based on various tinterweb posts) so I stripped it out only to find it had already been replaced! Whilst it was great news on one level, it also chucked a huge spanner into my thought process 🤔

Having used Lukas' skills at Volvo Diagnostics a couple of years previous, he was the only person I felt I could trust to give me a definitive answer. I know from experience he does not rely entirely on the output from a computer!

His advice was simple & incisive. Disconnect the DEM & clear the codes. If the issues disappear, aside from the antiskid warning, them the DEM is the prob.

Getting to it & disconnecting it was a challenge. However, the following drive was clear of the break failure warning, the instruments worked again, the gearbox worked & the rumble noise disappeared.

I left Wetherby at 04:30 next morning for Tilbury as Lukas said he'd refurb my DEM while I waited. As someone who started working life in electronics and almost ever since been in engineering, the quality of the refurbishment was truly sublime. Even the case was cleaned to a literal 'just out of the mould' standard - truly spotless. It turned out it had the wrong firmware for my vehicle but they sorted that with batting an eyelid!

Volvo's price for a replacement & programming was £1200. Lukas' price was £140, which included his freely given priceless advice.

Before refitting I was advised to test the pump which I did. Unfortunately I don't think my Haldex has ever been serviced so that'll be done next week with a new filter & oil. I refitted today and, honestly, the difference is night & day. Gear changes are smoother than a babies bum, rumble has disappeared, fuel consumption has improved & no more messages!

My journey here was ultimately successful. However it would have been far less painful if we Volvo owners had access to some decent flow charts where simple(ish) tests, such as Lukas suggests, where we could narrow down possible causes. Anyone up for working on some?

all cars everywhere are a perpetual work in progress...
YorkshireDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YorkshireDave For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2021, 20:26   #33
adamantan

Default XC60 Rear Wheels Scraping

Hi guys, 2012 XC60 D5 AWD (Gen 5 Haldex) 40k miles rear wheels scraping while turning on slow corners. There is no sound or any other physical sign e.g. oil leak but while turning slowly e.g. roundabouts it feels like the handbrake is on and rear wheels dragging until the car is on a straight one again. When prop shaft removed it drives fine as a front wheel drive car. There seems to be no physical damage on the prop shaft and no warning lights on the dash suggesting this might be a Haldex issue. Angle gear and sleeves have been checked, no damage found (changed them, just in case). Any idea what this could be and/or how to fix it please? Thanks

P.s. DEM with pump been changed but the result is same

Last edited by adamantan; Dec 31st, 2021 at 20:42.
adamantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2022, 13:59   #34
Parknest

I have a similar problem myself and I've posted elsewhere on this forum
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=324497&page=2

It sounds like Lukas is "the man" as I'm suspecting that the DEM on my XC90 could be faulty. I get 2 error codes ABS0064 and CEM1A64 which point to no communication with the DEM.
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB)
1972 Triumph Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L)
Parknest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2022, 16:07   #35
BillDD5

Default Haldex fluid leak from AOC housing

Hi,
We have a 2005 XC70 with a Generation 2 Haldex that has suddenly started losing fluid. On inspection it appears that a core plug in the cast casing has rusted through. We’ve attempted to seal this using ‘chemical metal’ epoxy but to no avail; fluid continues to seep. Please see photo attached.
My next idea is to try and measure the diameter of the core plug and obtain a replacement and see if on removing the DEM it is possible to dig out the old plug and drive in a replacement?
The alternative is to obtain another AOC and do a strip-down and swap?

Any thoughts on how much work it is to carry out such a task? Has anyone ever attempted a DIY strip-down of this unit?

Out local garage/service station has no experience of these..

Thanks,
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8BAB359F-D93A-4097-91AC-03A909610804.jpg (130.8 KB, 29 views)
Old May 31st, 2022, 19:25   #36
passenger
Master Member

Hi guys. I asked Volvo for service history. One of thing was rear diff repair. Is it oft for those diffs to fail? Should I be worried? I have plan driven this car like 150kkm more
passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2022, 09:14   #37
Korchoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
What you need to do in order is get the car read with a DICE/VIDA. This will give you a great insight into what you need to do next. If you don't/cant you are feeling you way in the dark.
The DEM unit has a pressure gauge (small) and a control module (large) inside. The pressure gauge sometimes go faulty. If so VIDA/DICE will tell you.
VIDA DICE will also give you live pressure value data - might prove* the sensor works/don't work. see caviat.
Disconnect the pump lead and check the pump works with a 12volt battery- you will hear it running - If you need to change the pump you need to remove the prop shaft ( and 90% the exhaust too). The DEM controller suffers from water ingress damage, and sometimes gives " false" reading to the DEM
* due to DEM damage no pressure is shown on VIDA DICE which claims a pressure valve issue, when the PV is actually ok.- that caught me.
You can get your DEM unit checked out. I tried on company in Kent, who said the unit was fine, and then spent months trying to fix the AWD, when the DEM was infact faulty. Lukas, sorted me a referbed unit which is working great - no DTC'S and lots of AWD.

If you want to ask any questions just ask
Cheers

Bob.

I have my XC70 with similar codes showing booked into auto fix in North Shields, only recently bought the car so am looking forward to having it all fettled. Does limp mode when it fancies and the awd fault. Apart from that the car is lovely
Korchoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2022, 11:55   #38
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDD5 View Post
Hi,
We have a 2005 XC70 with a Generation 2 Haldex that has suddenly started losing fluid. On inspection it appears that a core plug in the cast casing has rusted through. We’ve attempted to seal this using ‘chemical metal’ epoxy but to no avail; fluid continues to seep. Please see photo attached.
My next idea is to try and measure the diameter of the core plug and obtain a replacement and see if on removing the DEM it is possible to dig out the old plug and drive in a replacement?
The alternative is to obtain another AOC and do a strip-down and swap?

Any thoughts on how much work it is to carry out such a task? Has anyone ever attempted a DIY strip-down of this unit?

Out local garage/service station has no experience of these..

Thanks,
Bill
Hmm, That sounds like a much bigger issue than I had to be fair. If it were mine, I'd be looking to fit a new (second hand) AOC (Active On Coupling) assembly complete so you know you're starting with everything sorted. Try Mike at Huddersfield Volvo breakers. Good luck.

all cars everywhere are a perpetual work in progress...
YorkshireDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 16:09   #39
Jonesy767

Hi

Did you embark on taking on XC90s , Mine is scrabbling and making awful noises on all lock at walking pace etc 2010 D5
Jonesy767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2022, 20:56   #40
passenger
Master Member

Change your diff oil. It's 15-20min job, 8€ cost 1L oil.

passenger is offline   Reply With Quote