Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Corrosion on Wheels (winter) Less than 1 Year Old

Views : 73533

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 21st, 2013, 18:11   #11
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Mollusk if you wish to add my views I have taken our styx off (all 4 today) and cleaned them thoroughly (again without any harsh cleaners) just shampoo and an additional layer of protection.

Upon cleaning the 3 original wheels I have found every inner back of the spoke to have corrosion spreading and have also found some of the front face lug nuts to be suffering with spreading corrosion.

I will now move onto the replacement wheel which in just over a year and a half has nearly as much corrosion on the inner side as the other three.

Borbet wheels for Volvo are just rubbish. If you wish to add my views to yours in aid of you then you are more than welcome.

We are doing the same again (the same route as you) been down today to the dealership with it, Tuesday they are having the four wheels off and sending Volvo UK. I hope the same result does not come again. Although for us the fuel to the fire as it were is the fact that the replacement wheel has nearly the same level of rear corrosion as the original three.

I am taking my own photos tomorrow and removing the wheels for a second time (I ran out of time today and was concerned what our dealership might say although they have agreed the fault is serious enough).

If you wish I will add my pictures to this thread I take tomorrow to help you out? (it will help on the treatment point of view showing the same manufacturer for Volvo is clearly rubbish and not the owner).

Your timing of this thread from my point of view could not be better there clearly is an underlying fault with Borbet's manufacture of wheels for Volvo.

I add to this our original wheel that got replaced after three shocking refurb attempts (something that will be offered instead of a new wheel). The corrosion of the remaining three is much worse than this and replacement of roughly the same age as this one in the picture is actually worse, about the only thing different is the replacement has yet to feature corrosion on the front face (I managed to get to near enough 30 points of corrosion on this wheel in the picture with the help of my local wheel refurber - a person with the opinion that these wheels are quote "sh*t and given a quick spray").

Last edited by Ninja59; Nov 21st, 2013 at 18:26.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2013, 19:18   #12
mollusk
VOC Member

Thanks, Ninja, for your comments - plainly there is a problem with Volvo/Borbet that VCUK is unwilling to acknowledge. Their favoured response seems to blame the customer and hope he goes away!
If my experience aids you feel free to use my story and posted pics as you wish.

It strikes me that VCUKs policy is more likely to work when each case is looked at in isolation and aggrieved customers have no knowledge of the magnitude of the problem.

Perhaps we should look at more of a "class action" type response. Use the power of this forum, collect as many case details as we can - names, wheel types, dealer, VCUK response, document it all. Submit a wheel to independent examination to ascertain the real cause. Submit a structured case to Volvo backed up with irrefutable evidence of a number of similar customer experiences. The more the merrier. If this forum does anything, it brings together a large number of owners.

To be realistic we should limit case studies to cars no more than four years old - any older increases the potential for a "ill treated in service" response.

I would like to hear other forum members views and suggestions, and meanwhile anyone with similar experiences feel free to contribute to this thread, preferably with pics.

I know it's only wheels, but damn'it, VCUKs arrogance has got me fired up!

Mollusk.

Oh! and a solicitors letter, using the Feedom of Information Act, requesting the number of reported cases of wheel corrosion on cars up to three years old might not go amiss.
(VCUK would deny, claiming commercial confidentiality no doubt - but it might just make then think). Shame you can't make FOI requests to commercial companies like VCUK!

Last edited by mollusk; Nov 21st, 2013 at 20:04.
mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2013, 19:25   #13
Ninja59

I agree the response is definitely one that I do not consider very good, although I have to also agree this appears a general Borbet quality issue.

I know my wheel refurber has done those pictures and in honesty it was all down to the quality of the paint job.

One thing I have never had chance to do and find someone with a PTG to one of these wheels just to see how much paint is physically there.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 12:24   #14
Ninja59

I will let the next series of pictures read lots do the talking...

O/S/F - the best wheel of all four.

O/S/R

Some better shots of that lug nut corrosion area.

N/S/R - the replacement wheel

N/S/F

more corrosion on the front face literally as I was putting the wheel back on I noticed it.

Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 12:34   #15
Beavis
Premier Member

File a section 75 claim against your card provider if you bought it on credit card?

Off track, then i had a problem with my radio ICM from my '06 XC90 which was 6 years old and been out the main dealer network for 3 years. I emailed the CEO/MD of VCUK. I received a reply within a few hours from Senior Customer Support, asking me to visit a Maindealer, get a Vida readout to confirm the diagnosis. This cost me £50, but as soon as i returned it, they issued me with £300 vouchers to get it repaired.

So i'd recommend firing off a snotty email to the MD/CEO, or harrass them on Twitter or their facebook page. You'll be amazed at how quickly they respond to save face on their public profile pages.

Best of luck.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beavis For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 21:21   #16
pettaw
Forum Support Team

Sounds like VCUK displaying their customary attitude to customer care to me. Considering they're winter wheels as well and therefore haven't even been on the car more than 4 months I guess?

Thread stickied and title changed to increase visibility.
pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 02:27   #17
volvorocks
Rodney

Just a quick comment

VCUK do send 'standard nonsense' in response to any complaint or any raising of any issue.

I am all for amicable discussion although sometimes such discussion falls on deaf ears, and a stern approach has to be adopted.

I reckon you Mollusk with your age and experience, coupled with Ninja with his knowledge of all things legal (and his obsession with detail...!!!!) will a 'good team make' to take them on.

Good luck with it, I am following this post with interest

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 17:05   #18
Ninja59

I would just like to add to this by saying a big big thank you to a few of the team especially Chris for getting me (and mollusk) in contact with the Head of Customer Relations at Volvo UK, who in itself does seem concerned with this issue and bringing about a swift resolution.

No doubt me and/or mollusk will keep people updated.
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 18:17   #19
mollusk
VOC Member

Seconded! Thanks Chris (Wickers) for poking a stick at VCUK and directing them to this thread rather than just printing my (as yet unwritten) article in Driver.

Both Ninja59 and I have been contacted by the Head of Customer Relations - and I have just held a lengthy phone conversation with him. The issues have been highlighted, Borbet wheels will be looked at, and the corroded wheels of both Ninja and myself will be sorted by replacement or referbishment as is our preference.

I intend to wait now until the spring and re-examine my wheels. If the corrosion has remained limited to small areas I will be happy with replacement wheels but if the coating has continued to fail (indicating an endemic problem) I shall go for powder coating rather than risk replacements that might again last a short while.
(I have rec'd confirmation of this agreement).

I have to state that my conversation showed the Head of CR to be pleasant, most sympathetic, understanding and with a perfectly realistic attitude. He gave every indication of a genuine desire to solve customers "genuine" problems.
(those who know me will also know I would not state such if I believed otherwise)

My thanks and regards go to him for his swift intervention and action to resolve our issues.

Mollusk.
mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mollusk For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 18:44   #20
deefadog

Just my two penneth but if this is corrosion on a road wheel is safety not an issue to be considered ?

Chris
deefadog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deefadog For This Useful Post: