Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What are the best tyres to put on an XC90?

Views : 807715

Replies : 1192

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 13th, 2010, 17:14   #11
diy

Any suggestions for the R-Design?

Pirelli P Zero Rosso 255/50R19 is standard, which seems daft on a car like this.
diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 17:35   #12
yeoman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaboy View Post
Hi, I've had my XC90 (bought second hand from a Volvo dealer) for over a year now. The front two tyres need replacing and I wondered what people's experience was with which tyres to put on the car?
The best tyre to an entent will depend on your wheel size, I have used nokians before and can say that they are the equal or better of any of the so called premium one. FACT.
Currently , after extensive research, I have ATTURO AZ800. they are slightly noisier that the pirrellis I had but the grip is WAY better
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 21:37   #13
drpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSHEEPRIDD View Post
Roy,

These were different companies offers on Wintracs - Camskill for supply only +£2.49/tyre post + fitting at say £15 = £150.

Are they worth the extra £50 over the Grabbers for a set????????
I've never had them but Wintracs always highly rated by the Discovery drivers I've known to have them, think there's more running the Grabbers though overall.
drpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 22:01   #14
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

anything but pirelli P6000's
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 15:03   #15
rkv

Another factor you might want to consider is under which conditions you want your tyres to offer the best performance. The General Tire Grabber UHP, Kumho Ecsta, and Vredstien Wintrac 4 are all very good choices. However, they are not necessarily equivalent in different weather/temperature conditions.

I believe the Grabber is considered by most as a summer tire. The Kumho while technically claiming to be an all season tyre is probably biased toward summer. The Vredstien Wintrac 4 is a winter tyre. Note winter does not necessarily mean snow. There can be major differences in traction and wear relating to the compounds of the tyre and how they perform at different temperatures.

If you were going with two sets of tyres, then the Grabber and Vredstien would probably be excellent choices. If you are looking at only one set then an all season tyre would probably be the best. But there too you still may want to take into account weather.

I run Pirelli P Zeros on one vehicle of mine. However, that vehicle I only drive in the summer and on sunny(dry) days. (It's a convertible.) I really like the P Zeros for that vehicle, but I wouldn't use them if I was doing a lot of driving in cold weather or when it was wet.

On my XC90 I use Nokian WR G2 SUVs which is an all season tyre which is biased toward better performance in winter. I chose those because for me light snow, ice, and wet are where I want the tyres to provide their greatest safety margin. However, if I was doing a lot of motorway driving in southern europe during the summers, I suspect these would wear very quickly. I would either go for separate summer and winter tyres or select a different all season tyre which was biased a bit more toward warm weather. (I once took a vehicle from the UK to the tropics and managed to literally melt the tyres due to high speeds and 40+ temperatures.)

If you are driving principally in the UK and northern europe, I highly recommend the Nokian.
rkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 15:12   #16
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

I use the Wintrac 4 Extreme's all year round. The wear rate is 1mm per 12,000 miles.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 00:44   #17
Britsud
Anycolouraslongasitsblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by diy View Post
Any suggestions for the R-Design?

Pirelli P Zero Rosso 255/50R19 is standard, which seems daft on a car like this.
I have recently for the first time changed to the Yokohama Advan 255/50/19 cant believe the ride and noise level, much improved on the p zeros seem as good in the wet probably not as good in snow though but for £485 for four bargain. If they are good enough as an OE for Bentley, Aston and porsche's 4x4 they wil do for me.

ps i only do 7000 a year so high milage not an issue as i' DONT LIKE OLD TYRES' but will keep update on wear rate.

Bri
2008my xc90 sport,Polestar 205bhp, Flip down DVD, Full intergrated phone volvo on call, RTI Satnav full post code, privacy glass, Winter pack, Family pack, calcite soft leather, .Bi-xenon active headlights, Brembo discs Redstuff Pads.
Britsud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 16:51   #18
JimG
Premier Member

Has anyone tried Goodyear Wrangler HP AllWeather?

I'm not allowed to say which Force I work for but I'm a Traffic Officer in the Police. Prior to our current 4x4 vehicles, we used to use the Range Rover P38. These Goodyears were fitted all year round and coped well with high speed motorway use for the majority of the time. But when the snow fell we could still tow laden artics without any problems. This is testament to the Range Rover but as you all may know, you can have the right vehicle but with the wrong tyres - you're stuffed.

A colleague has these fitted on his Freelander and they have currently covered 46K miles.

I'm looking to change my V70 T5 for an XC90 soon and I will definitely want to fit the Wranglers.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 21:02   #19
Ron_XC90
Master Member

I have the Goodyear's and can recommend them to anyone.
Used them in all kinds of weather, sand, snow, etc and have been absolutely brilliant.
Have done approx 15k mls with them so far and looking at wear, the fronts will last for at least another 25k...
Rear tyres have more thread left, so might swap front/rear in the next few Months
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 02:45   #20
Jim314
Premier Member

The Goodyear Wrangler HP All Weather is a lotta tyre! From the Tire Rack site it only comes in 255/60-18 and 255/55-19. (See http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....HP+All+Weather which are nominally 30 inch diameter at the tread, weigh 37 lb and cost over $US 340!

Isn't the recommended size for the XC90 235/65-17 or 235/60-18? Both of these sizes are nominally 29 inch diameter at the tread.

A Goodyear Eagle GT in 235/60-18 is 29 inch dia at the tread, 30 lb, and costs $US 146. See http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....lar=&tab=Specs
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote