Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Deleting the Secondary Air Pump

Views : 383

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 9th, 2021, 17:13   #1
stevepcar
Steve

Default Deleting the Secondary Air Pump

i have just come into possession of a 1996 2.0l 850 with an air pump. I was intending to use it as a donor car, for my 2.5 850 & my 850 T5. But being soft of head & heart, I think I may try and get it back on the road. It has 2-rotten front wings & a gouge that covers both nearside doors & the rear near side wing. However, it has a long and extensive service record and runs sweetly. It is showing an EML which when the code is read points to a faulty Air Pump. It has been replaced before, but they do not seem to last long. I have seen a Robert DIY mod whereby you can delete the pump by soldering a diode from points 32 to 37 in the ECU, or between 2-wires in the harness under the ECU.. Has anybody carried this out successfully and if so can you advise which diode I should get from RS please.
stevepcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 18:29   #2
stevepcar
Steve

Default Deleting Secondary Air System (Air Pump)

I have followed a tutorial on Mathews Volvo forum and soldered a diode between the 32 & 37 positions in the ECU. However, after a few seconds from starting the engine the EML light still comes on. I ran the codes and it is showing up as 4-4-2, which means that the air pump is still faulty. So I cleared the codes and got 1-1-1, which was fine. After starting the engine again after a few seconds the EML light came back on & the code 4-4-2 reappeared. Do I need to disconnect the air pump as well to stop the ECU thinking it is still malfunctioning. If so is that the only disconnection I need to make pleasse. Any advice welcomed.
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 22:26   #3
rudi dudi
DPF free.FCUK Greta he he

Out of interest what does the secondary air pump do?.Is it on all petrols or only certain flavours?
rudi dudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 12:27   #4
stevepcar
Steve

Default Deleting SAS (Air Pump)

I dont know if it has been supplied on all cars, but the one I have is on a 2.0 litre 1996 850 10 Valve NA. They are not common on cars for the UK market, as they were designed for easier starting in colder countries & the US where they are mandatory in some states for emission controls.. I guess they are useful on the less than 1% of winter days in the south, that are below zero. I dont know why this car has it, but they are a very poor design, being mounted at the bottom of the car under the battery tray, susceptible to water & road dirt. They corrode badly & get filled with water then short out. A lot of people just delete them from the ECU by soldering in a diode between 2-of the terminals, which bypasses the control & makes the ECU think its still there, so no EML. I have done this but the EML still comes on & when reading the codes 4-4-2 shows up, which cites the Air Pump as being the fault. I have cleared the codes, but it comes back again. I am going to try unplugging the SAS to see if that cures it. Nobody else seems to have carried out this mod, so I am in the dark.
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 14:58   #5
stevepcar
Steve

Default Deleting Secondary Air Pump System

Re my recent post about this, I am really surprised that nobody has done this. I know that the Air Pump is probably not a common fitting on UK cars, but I have read that they ofetn go wrong & they cost a fortune to replace. Deleting the pump from the system is the favoured method to overcome the problem. I have done this by soldering a diode into the ECU that make it thing the AP is still operational. However, I cannot get the EML to go out & the code still reads 4-4-2. Has anybody any experience or advice to give please?