Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Head End

Views : 1129

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 14th, 2021, 23:05   #11
ltec

I thought a head unit like that would look crap in an old style dash like the xc90 and it had to stay original.
You've now changed my mind. I think it looks really well.
ltec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 16:26   #12
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltec View Post
I thought a head unit like that would look crap in an old style dash like the xc90 and it had to stay original.
You've now changed my mind. I think it looks really well.
I have to say, the 10inch head end has totally transformed the cars look. It's no longer antiquated (charmingly or course). For me the secret has been the fact that the surround is utterly seamless.

In an ideal world, I'd have bought the pop up screen too simply for navigation. It really is a PIA, not to mention not very safe, to have it down there... I may even go back to my dash mounted Garmin for it cos it seems its always to be connected to tinterweb to get anywhere!

Gets 8/10 for rest though - radio is only thing that lets it down IMHO.

all cars everywhere are a perpetual work in progress...
YorkshireDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 22:03   #13
gumboots

I noticed on the facebook group he's now advertising a 4 core option rather than the 8 core. Do any of you users know, was this the earler standardversion before his latest upgrades or is it just a cheaper less powerful option?

I know I can ask these questions directly but rather than struggle with the translated interpretations though i'd ask here.

Anyone have the spec of their headunit to hand?
gumboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 22:06   #14
gumboots

Deleted. Question already answered in post#1

Last edited by gumboots; Sep 15th, 2021 at 22:40.
gumboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 23:38   #15
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumboots View Post
Deleted. Question already answered in post#1
None fitted hence my option to use a normal satnav.

Going again I'd prefer a make such as Kenwood. They may not do the android bit as well but they do radio & music much better & the Bluetooth works well. Hey ho 😁

Old Mar 4th, 2022, 13:35   #16
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

Eventually went back to a dedicated Garmin SadNav. Just too dangerous having it low down like that...

Also, now on my 3rd rear camera. Two supplied by the seller failed within months through water ingress I suspect. Screws and brackets made of sh1te steel and look awful too. Now imported three other models to see how they fare. Not too confident TBH. Despite a recent software upgrade to its RDS function, the radio element is still unusable on a journey as it's incapable of picking up alternative station frequencies. Unless you're in a city the radio is an utter waste of space - oh, I had to drill the roof and put in a dedicated aerial too.

Lastly, I've now left the Legend Group. The owner and moderators tolerate ZERO criticism (or perception of) of any form or description. It's gotten where you cannot describe problems as its deemed 'negative'. 1984 rooles...

Old Mar 4th, 2022, 14:20   #17
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Yeah, I heard the Legend radio is a simple single-tuner design with poor RDS implementation

Most cars these days have dual antennas and dual tuners creating a diversity radio system with excellent RDS implementation allowing the radio to search for alternative frequencies in the background on the 2nd tuner.

My 26 year old BMW had this capability, and my current Volvo also has dual FM antennas albeit a single tuner. The RDS implementation is thus not as good as my BMW from 26 years ago... but a heck of a lot better than the Legend system.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2022, 17:49   #18
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Yeah, I heard the Legend radio is a simple single-tuner design with poor RDS implementation
Hindsight is a wonderful thing - so I've heard!

The most annoying point for westerners is that most forums are pretty open. Good mingles with bad and minds are made up as one is made fully aware - ish. With the Legend face ache group, feeling the consequences of the political clampdown, dictatorial control being engaged & rigorously enforced on any and all perceived negativity (truth apparently is an irrelevance) idiot westerners like me simply do not think to check for authenticity. Consequently we pay a price and so feel ripped off.

Truth is, I have never ever come across someone so genuinely physically supportive of customers in every single other respect. I was messaging him at some ungodly hour and getting almost instant responses which, considering he was having to translate all communications, was simply superb and worth an awful lot.

Ultimately though I'm let down and feel bad enough about the whole thing that I feel it's important to help people go in eyes wide open rather than almost blind as I was.

Life's FAB

Last edited by YorkshireDave; Mar 4th, 2022 at 17:53.