Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pilot assist struggling after replacement windscreen

Views : 5251

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2019, 18:47   #11
anotherv60
Master Member

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/fle...es-adas-safety

See the comments from VW, calibration on an uneven road can affect the distance reading by 30m!! Looks like Mazda won’t certify auto windscreen either.

Has Pilot assist improved now? Would be interesting to check the timing between you and the vehicle infront think it should be 3s at max distance setting.
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 06:40   #12
apetri92

Default Same issue here - V60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torshen View Post
Hmmm... Think I spoke too soon. Did 100+ miles today on familiar roads and it was only finding about 10% of the lane markings it normally follows. The silly thing, though, is that the “Lane Keeping Aid” function works fine and it’s basically the same thing, so it clearly is recognising the white lines for the lane keeping aid, but just not applying them to Pilot Assist.

I’m assuming I couldn’t do a recalibration myself? Guess I need a laptop or something that plugs in to enable diagnostics etc. But if I do end up taking it to Autoglass (because it looks like I’ll have to allow them at least one go before insurance will let me go via dealer) will they let me do the driving part of the calibration myself? I’d much prefer my car was learning from my driving.
Hi Torshen

Could you please update me on this situation? I’ve got my front windshield replaced and the autopilot system pulls me to the left. Totally different than before. I also recognised some learning by driving 100s of kilometres, but before it was much better. How is it for you now?

Do you think it can be a guarantee issue as well? I mean pilot assist should work well nevertheless a front windscreen replacement. Many thanks
apetri92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 09:12   #13
Torshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by apetri92 View Post
Hi Torshen

Could you please update me on this situation? I’ve got my front windshield replaced and the autopilot system pulls me to the left. Totally different than before. I also recognised some learning by driving 100s of kilometres, but before it was much better. How is it for you now?

Do you think it can be a guarantee issue as well? I mean pilot assist should work well nevertheless a front windscreen replacement. Many thanks
Hi there. In the end I solved the problem by getting someone to let me do the driving while the system was recalibrated. I'm not sure if the initial calibration was done poorly (lots of lane changing and poor positioning) or whether there was a technical issue but the problem went away when I drove myself with it in calibration mode.

Annoyingly I think when they do software updates (which they do each service) it might reset again because it's currently a bit off (too far left again) so I'm going to have to make a mental note to ask them every year when I get it serviced if I can drive myself during calibration. Bit of a nuisance.

It doesn't take long though, it only needs about 10-15 mins of driving on roads with lanes for it to finish the calibration. It does the lane markings and distance sensor at the same time so for those 10-15 mins you need to make sure you're well positioned and keep a decent 2-second gap to the car in front. Simple enough for me, I can't say the same for 90% of other people on the roads I see
XC90 D5 Momentum (MY18), Osmium Grey, 22" wheels, Blond nappa, Winter + HUD, Xenium, Illumination, Family, Seat Pack, 12.3" display, 230v 3-pin, Heated rear seats, Tinted, CarPlay, Side running boards, Thinkware F770 F+R
Torshen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torshen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 11:04   #14
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Nice result.
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 18:59   #15
CarZee

Default Same experience, most unimpressed with Autoglass.

This all sounds very familiar. Autoglass did my windscreen today and now Pilot Assist is ruined. On a known-good dual carriageway, in lane 1 it drives in the gutter. In lane 2 it drives with the left wheels on the white line between lanes 1 & 2, literally driving over the cats-eyes.

I've come to the conclusion that the guy who did the calibration didn't even know about Pilot Assist and assumed that because lane-keep assist was (sort of) okay and adaptive cruise was okay that it was all good, when it was very far from all good.

Really frustrating thing is that I now get to spend time in call-centre hell trying to get them to put it right. I have to wait up-to 2 days for their 'warranty' people to even get in touch, even though this isn't a warranty issue in the sense any normal person would understand it. And then I'll have to take another half day off work to take it in and - if I'm really lucky - get it sorted.

It's all so tediously predictable, really. Without even researching the topic, the minute I got the stone chip that cracked the windscreen I knew this headache was in my future. I've always had decent experiences with Autoglass in the past too, but I guess that's because nothing ever went wrong before, and only then do we find out what these companies are really made of.

FWIW, my local Volvo dealer said it'd be £108 for them to sort it, so at least there's that as a backstop, and honestly I think I'd rather do that than spend one more minute dealing with these goons, but I have to give them a chance to fix it or I'll never be able to recover the cost of Volvo putting it right.
CarZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 20:12   #16
volvocamper
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarZee View Post
This all sounds very familiar. Autoglass did my windscreen today and now Pilot Assist is ruined. On a known-good dual carriageway, in lane 1 it drives in the gutter. In lane 2 it drives with the left wheels on the white line between lanes 1 & 2, literally driving over the cats-eyes.

I've come to the conclusion that the guy who did the calibration didn't even know about Pilot Assist and assumed that because lane-keep assist was (sort of) okay and adaptive cruise was okay that it was all good, when it was very far from all good.

Really frustrating thing is that I now get to spend time in call-centre hell trying to get them to put it right. I have to wait up-to 2 days for their 'warranty' people to even get in touch, even though this isn't a warranty issue in the sense any normal person would understand it. And then I'll have to take another half day off work to take it in and - if I'm really lucky - get it sorted.

It's all so tediously predictable, really. Without even researching the topic, the minute I got the stone chip that cracked the windscreen I knew this headache was in my future. I've always had decent experiences with Autoglass in the past too, but I guess that's because nothing ever went wrong before, and only then do we find out what these companies are really made of.

FWIW, my local Volvo dealer said it'd be £108 for them to sort it, so at least there's that as a backstop, and honestly I think I'd rather do that than spend one more minute dealing with these goons, but I have to give them a chance to fix it or I'll never be able to recover the cost of Volvo putting it right.
Hi, was the windscreen fitted ‘on your drive’ or did they request you take it to one of their fitting centres (there is 1 near Sainsbury’s, Longwater)? It will be a calibration issue and I understood this task (and therefore the screen fitted) had to be undertaken in one of these centres.
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 10:55   #17
Basill

Ive had two Autoglass windscreen replacements now. First time the lane guidance was definitely worse than before but still useable. Second time time the lane guidance is excellent.
I was told it had to be done at a centre with the right equipment but to calibrate they reset and then just drive the car until it says calibration is complete.
Id say it's worth re running the calibration.
Basill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 21:00   #18
Chudy85
Volvo family member

is there any insurance apart Volvo one that will send car to volvo for windscreen replacement? My insurance wants National Windscreen only
Old Mar 31st, 2023, 11:29   #19
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chudy85 View Post
is there any insurance apart Volvo one that will send car to volvo for windscreen replacement? My insurance wants National Windscreen only
I was sent to National Windscreen for my replacement. They fitted an original Volvo screen (at least it had all the OEM labels on it). Absolutely no subsequent problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wizzpop For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2023, 13:30   #20
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver Dave View Post
Interesting, when I needed a replacement windscreen in August 2017, a month after buying my XC90, I asked my local dealer about doing the job because of the newness of the car and the windscreen electronics. They said the didn't do windscreens but I could take it to them and they would get National Windscreens in to do the job.

I decided to go the Autoglass route and had the screen replaced at home. The guy did a great job and though he mentioned having the electronics recalibrated, that would have had to be done by the Dealer at that time. I didn't bother and the systems work just as they had before.

Obviously things have changed in the intervening period - Autoglass doing recallibrations and Volvo dealers maybe doing their own windscreen replacement.
well that is a lie,
All volvo dealers have to have a technician trained in fitting volvo windscreens for this very reason since before 2017.

Another point, maybe the non volvo screens are optically different for what ever reason...

The calibration is done with a special spirit level gauge in the car after the new screen is fitted.