Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Time for the Tow bar

Views : 910

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 18:07   #11
rmvm
New Member
 

Last Online: Today 08:08
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Lytham
Default

Hi Beavis, thanks for the offer, but I have now just had fitted a genuine Volvo electric tow-bar. Thanks Roy
__________________
Volvo V90 B5 MHEV Cross Country Birch Light MY21
rmvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 18:15   #12
Beavis
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Sep 15th, 2021 13:16
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Wiltshire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmvm View Post
Hi Beavis, thanks for the offer, but I have now just had fitted a genuine Volvo electric tow-bar. Thanks Roy
no worries. i'd have had the electric one if i could have justified cost, but as i only use it couple of times a year for bike carrier i couldn't bare the cost.

have just changed to a BMW X3, and BMW quoted me 2900 for a dealer fit electric towbar on a second hand car! makes the volvo cost appear a bargain. have therefore got a factory fit towbar which was only 850 extra.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beavis For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 05:48   #13
rmvm
New Member
 

Last Online: Today 08:08
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Lytham
Default

Wow 2900!!! I had a BMW 530 GT a few cars ago and most things seemed to cost much more than other premium cars. I sold it before the warranty expired and bought MB for a while which I did enjoy and were pretty reasonable in running costs and even better if you used a independant specialist. I have just sold both my ML and SLK and bought (for the first time) MY21 Volvo V90 Cross Country, only time will tell if I did the right thing. I also tow quite a heavy Swift caravan and the MB ML didn't know it was on the back....lets hope the V90 is the same. Cheers Roy
__________________
Volvo V90 B5 MHEV Cross Country Birch Light MY21
rmvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 08:06   #14
Whyman
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Today 07:53
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Newark
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
no worries. i'd have had the electric one if i could have justified cost, but as i only use it couple of times a year for bike carrier i couldn't bare the cost.

have just changed to a BMW X3, and BMW quoted me 2900 for a dealer fit electric towbar on a second hand car! makes the volvo cost appear a bargain. have therefore got a factory fit towbar which was only 850 extra.
I had a similar experience on a Merc. It transpired that the manufacture specified that you not only had to fit the towbar but also to upgrade the radiator and the cooling system for the gearbox. It was much cheaper if you had it fitted on a newly built car.

I fitted a Witter in the end with no adverse effects towing a large caravan.
__________________
XC60 2013 D5 215 SE Lux Nav geartronic
Whyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 08:31   #15
Beavis
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Sep 15th, 2021 13:16
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Wiltshire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmvm View Post
Wow 2900!!! I had a BMW 530 GT a few cars ago and most things seemed to cost much more than other premium cars. I sold it before the warranty expired and bought MB for a while which I did enjoy and were pretty reasonable in running costs and even better if you used a independant specialist. I have just sold both my ML and SLK and bought (for the first time) MY21 Volvo V90 Cross Country, only time will tell if I did the right thing. I also tow quite a heavy Swift caravan and the MB ML didn't know it was on the back....lets hope the V90 is the same. Cheers Roy
yeah, think the sales manager almost choked when he told me. he said he would investigate an aftermarket one - which i declined as i read the G01 X3 can be sensitive to wiring changes - needless to say i ditched the 2nd hand car i was going to purchase and managed to find a stock car with factory fitted towbar.
I've previously fitted a few towbars in A6, Golfs, Superbs, V70, XC90 and V90 - the volvos were usually a doddle as they were usually just plug and play even with aftermarket electrics and didn't need coding. The VAG cars usually required pins to be removed from plugs to loop in the wiring kits - took a while if you're new to it but it was possible, and then VCDS to code it in. The BMW talked about extra cables being ran from battery along with a whole host of other things plus coding so didn't want to try that on a 3 month old car.
Finding that a few things on the BMW are optional extras - speed limit showing in dash, speed camera warnings - all of which i was used to as standard in the volvo. Please to confirm that there are indicators on mine
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 08:15   #16
Automatic Only
Member
 

Last Online: Yesterday 16:31
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Sittingbourne
Default

Be interesting to see if scrapping the B+E test for towing has much effect on demand for towbars... I will be a beneficiary of this change and was thinking of getting one on my next car anyway, this will now make it a near certainty.
__________________
Current: 20 XC60 T8 Inscription, Blond Nappa, Intellisafe Pro, Onyx Black, Winter Pack, Dark Tints, Active 4 C
Previous: 16 S60 D4 Business Edition
Automatic Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 09:04   #17
Beavis
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Sep 15th, 2021 13:16
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Wiltshire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatic Only View Post
Be interesting to see if scrapping the B+E test for towing has much effect on demand for towbars... I will be a beneficiary of this change and was thinking of getting one on my next car anyway, this will now make it a near certainty.
I passed my car test 6 months after the changes in 1997, which was just 4 months after 17th birthday, so always felt cheesed off i couldn't drive a 7.5 tonne truck or with a trailer over 750kg, whereas a few mates born a few months earlier could. Always fancied getting the B+E and thought it would be handy, but couldn't justify training and test for something i didn't need. I regularly tow a 750kg rated trailer, can reverse well, so will welcome the changes. Lets face it many of those who passed their test pre 1997 do fine - you do see some struggle, but those should get a bit of optional training anyway!
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 10:36   #18
Automatic Only
Member
 

Last Online: Yesterday 16:31
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Sittingbourne
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
I passed my car test 6 months after the changes in 1997, which was just 4 months after 17th birthday, so always felt cheesed off i couldn't drive a 7.5 tonne truck or with a trailer over 750kg, whereas a few mates born a few months earlier could. Always fancied getting the B+E and thought it would be handy, but couldn't justify training and test for something i didn't need. I regularly tow a 750kg rated trailer, can reverse well, so will welcome the changes. Lets face it many of those who passed their test pre 1997 do fine - you do see some struggle, but those should get a bit of optional training anyway!
That would be very annoying!
At the end of the day by far the majority of drivers on the road would have the automatic entitlement that existed prior to the 1997 changes and they aren't necessarily better drivers so I can't see this being much of a safety issue.
__________________
Current: 20 XC60 T8 Inscription, Blond Nappa, Intellisafe Pro, Onyx Black, Winter Pack, Dark Tints, Active 4 C
Previous: 16 S60 D4 Business Edition
Automatic Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:21.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.