Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40, Rear brake lines

Views : 661

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 8th, 2021, 14:46   #1
martin 56

Default V40, Rear brake lines

Hi, next week end, I'm going to finally change my rear brake lines,
I have all the kit to make up the new lines,
What i was wondering is, does the tank have to be removed to get at the passenger side line, or can it just be allowed to drop down with hoses still attached just enough to free the brake pipe from the clips ?
martin 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2021, 14:55   #2
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin 56 View Post
Hi, next week end, I'm going to finally change my rear brake lines,
I have all the kit to make up the new lines,
What i was wondering is, does the tank have to be removed to get at the passenger side line, or can it just be allowed to drop down with hoses still attached just enough to free the brake pipe from the clips ?
Depending where the damaged part on the lines is, you should be able to just lower the lines, without removing the fuel tank.

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2021, 15:01   #3
martin 56

The pipe was an advisory on the last MOT, its ok, apart from on the drivers side near the flexible where the pipe has corroded. On both sides, i can drop down that pipe without dropping the tank, but as I'm going to replace the whole pipe, and replace with new, it makes sence to do both, the passenger side is going to be the problem, as the line runs under the fuel tank, or very close to it
Old Aug 8th, 2021, 15:12   #4
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin 56 View Post
The pipe was an advisory on the last MOT, its ok, apart from on the drivers side near the flexible where the pipe has corroded. On both sides, i can drop down that pipe without dropping the tank, but as I'm going to replace the whole pipe, and replace with new, it makes sence to do both, the passenger side is going to be the problem, as the line runs under the fuel tank, or very close to it
If you are going to replace the entire line, then you can easily take a slightly different route for the new lines, as long as you make sure they are secured extremely well.

At the same time, if you are replacing the entire lines, then you might as well don't properly and remove the tank too, so you can then route the new brake lines the proper original way

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2021, 19:17   #5
ITSv40
VOC Member

To do the job properly the tank needs dropping. It is also an opportunity to check the floorpan above the tank for corrosion - there is no rust protection applied apart from the phosphate primer. The rear pipes are joined at the bottom of the bulkhead just above the front suspension. Attachment shows work in progress on my V40.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20151030_001.jpg (194.8 KB, 34 views)
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2021, 14:59   #6
martin 56

Its really being a PITA got the car up on stands so i can get underneath safely, thought i would start with passenger side, the bolts came out easily, that hold the brake pipes to the floor, the rear brake union is mullered, ive got the proper union spanner, but its to far chewed, by a previous owner, so I'm going to have to cut that,there a bolt right to the tank, that i just can't quite get to, with the tank in situ,so tomorrow im going to see if i can get the tank out and do the whole lot, Next question,how do i get at the front unions, do i undo the top unions, unbolt the joiner, somehow work it down and out because due to the lack of access, i'm scared i might round off the bottom unions if i try to undo them in situ.
Old Aug 12th, 2021, 15:43   #7
ITSv40
VOC Member

It is a few years since I did mine so memory fades a bit. I only undid the lower unions from the joiner to remove the rear pipes. I think? I found it easier to reach down from above to undo and then fed the pipe out from underneath. Same with refitting- feed pipe into position from underneath and then locate and tighten union from above. I also made up some blanking plugs by filling a couple of union nuts with solder to seal the front part of the system so that air did not get in the abs module. I managed to get the old pipes out in one piece and bent the new Kunifer pipes to suit before fitting to the car. They just then needed a little tweeking to get them to look neat and tidy.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2021, 15:54   #8
martin 56

Well, its been fighting me every inch of the way, ended up having to cut some sections of pipe, the drivers side literally fell apart where it runs past the tank,, the front unions refused to undo, so I'm going to have to join in the where the first clamp is, and run the new pipe from there, with male/ female connectors except that bloke sod, screwed me again, i have not got any female unions.
The Following User Says Thank You to martin 56 For This Useful Post: