Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Wiring Colour Codes / Replacing Volvo Original Sockets

Views : 1073

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 15:01   #1
Danceswithvolvos

Default Volvo Wiring Colour Codes / Replacing Volvo Original Sockets

Hi, this has me stumped, so any advice would be a bonus!

Have recently set about repairing the towing electrics on the rear of my 960 estate. The originals having been badly beaten about and the pins being corroded on the volvo originals. Having cut off the 12N and 12S originals I want to replace the 12N with another socket so the electrics can be used (i dont tow a caravan, so the intention is to coil up the 12S wiring and tuck it out of the way).

However, I have an interesting and highly annoying problem.

1) The wiring cores available do not match the standard colour codes..
2) All 7 cores read as shorted to earth when I attach a multimeter (even with the ignition on!), yet do actually output voltage when you assume the white core to be earth.
3) I am assuming that the bulb faliure warning system is stopping me from working out the correct pinouts for all seven cores, as the readings on a multimeter make very little sense, even assuming white to be earth.

The coloured cores I have available are as follows:

White, Red, Green, Grey, Blue, Black, Brown/Yellow.

Assuming white is earth, I have been able to ascertain that Left Turn is Green, and Right Turn is Blue, the rest however are elusive (show as -12v) using the same methods.

Does anybody know how these should relate to a standard 12N on pins 1-7? Perhaps this is a wiring layout from a different market? I can't find any reference to this problem on any of the threads, or other sites.

Any advice would be wonderful!

Tony.
Danceswithvolvos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 15:11   #2
Glen Morangie
Economy motorist

Default This is for a 940

I don't know if it will help, I have no info on the 960!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 940 Towbar.jpg (157.9 KB, 60 views)
Glen Morangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 15:38   #3
Danceswithvolvos

Hi,
Thats brilliant, If I read this correctly, that is the pinout for the 10 pin connector that my socket(s) plug into (in the n/s cubby hole under the floor of the boot).

Assuming the colour codes are passed on through the connector (fingers crossed!) I should be able to cross-reference them with what I have worked out.....

Looks hopeful, will let you know if this works (and supply a pin out diagram).
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 15:53   #4
Glen Morangie
Economy motorist

I think there is some more information re the trailer sockets in the FAQ's or the towing section on the VOC site.

There is also info on the odd variation or incompatability - I don't think 960's were affected but I don't know, as I've never owned one.
Glen Morangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 17:23   #5
Danceswithvolvos

Well i'm pleased to say that the diagram does tell you what you need to know, and that the wiring layout does contuinue through the plug.

Therefore: if you are replacing a socket on a Volvo (Factory Fit) 12N setup and come across this odd wiring configuration (non standard colour code) this is the required pinout:

Pin 1 - Left Turn - Green
Pin 2 - Fog Lamp - Red
Pin 3 - Earth - Black
Pin 4 - Right Turn - Blue
Pin 5 - R/H Sidelight - Grey
Pin 6 - Brake Lamps - Yellow/Brown
Pin 7 - L/H Sidelight - White

Hopefully, should anyone else have to do this (lets face it, worn out and corroded sockets are not that common), this will be of help.

I did look in the trailer/towing section on the VOC site and on sites like Towsure, but this configuration of colours isn't mentioned, only the yellow/blue/white/green/brown/red/black standard setup.

Many thanks for the help, Tony.