Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any Advice, Part 2!

Views : 46731

Replies : 671

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 24th, 2020, 15:14   #41
Chris152

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
B230Es are non-interference unless the head's been skimmed twice; one skim usually won't take off enough metal to make it an interference engine. Heron head (B230K) engines were all carburettored and have a lot of emissions plumbing lying around them.

The PAS should be nice and sharp - check the tyre pressures as a soft tyre can make it feel heavy and the belt tension too.

If you unbolt the fan from the housing, then unbolt the shroud and push it towards the engine you should be able to draw the fan out in the gap then remove the shroud.

Put plenty of Laird Scooby's magic potions (ATF and acetone) on the adjuster bolt threads as well.

I think the galvanised plate was factory-fitted; if there's one on the passenger side as well that would confirm my suspicions.
Aha, missed your post as I was busy writing mine, Loki! Thanks, reassured.
I'll do some magic potion searching... :-)
Chris152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2020, 15:41   #42
Bugjam1999
Master Member

A few comments- firstly, glad it’s arrived and on with the project!

The water pump is also driven by those two parallel fan belts- the belts go around the crank, the alternator and the water pump which has the fan on the front of it- don’t drive the car without the belts in place.

The galvanised plates are standard- one each side, under the driver and the passengers feet.

PAS should be nice and light, if it isn’t and the pump isn’t low on fluid my money is on the universal joints under the bonnet- they’re often neglected. Spray them both with your penetrating oil of choice over a few days and see if it gets better. If not you’ll need to remove that section of the steering column to be able to free them off once they’re off the car, which is pretty easy to do - but see if a few days of penetrating oil does the trick first.

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2020, 16:10   #43
Chris152

Thanks Bugjam. They call it the u-joint, right? If that's the one, I've just sprayed it and turned the wheel and sprayed some more, and will keep doing so a few days.

Loki - I checked the front tyres and ps belt tension, all seem fine.

I checked the fluid level, slightly over max after driving it around the block (to check I wasn't being unfair to it - definitely heavy). If the universal joint option doesn't work, should I try bleeding the fluid?
Old Aug 24th, 2020, 16:47   #44
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Default Rust under rear bumper

Hello.

When checking out that rust, please make sure whoever assists or advises you sees all the photos from both simplysimonroberts and from John H
in the thread linked to here

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...er+rust&page=2

Little rust on first look. But not an inexpensive repair.

It looks a nice car. Enjoy.

There is a post in another thread saying this can affect saloons ....

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Aug 24th, 2020 at 16:50.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2020, 21:07   #45
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post
A few comments- firstly, glad it’s arrived and on with the project!

The water pump is also driven by those two parallel fan belts- the belts go around the crank, the alternator and the water pump which has the fan on the front of it- don’t drive the car without the belts in place.

The galvanised plates are standard- one each side, under the driver and the passengers feet.

PAS should be nice and light, if it isn’t and the pump isn’t low on fluid my money is on the universal joints under the bonnet- they’re often neglected. Spray them both with your penetrating oil of choice over a few days and see if it gets better. If not you’ll need to remove that section of the steering column to be able to free them off once they’re off the car, which is pretty easy to do - but see if a few days of penetrating oil does the trick first.

Cheers
I’m really pleased I was completely wrong about the galvanised plates.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2020, 23:34   #46
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
Thanks Bugjam. They call it the u-joint, right? If that's the one, I've just sprayed it and turned the wheel and sprayed some more, and will keep doing so a few days.

Loki - I checked the front tyres and ps belt tension, all seem fine.

I checked the fluid level, slightly over max after driving it around the block (to check I wasn't being unfair to it - definitely heavy). If the universal joint option doesn't work, should I try bleeding the fluid?
Yes a u-joint. There are two- one down by the oil filter and one up against the bulkhead, so of course oil both. In my car stiff steering was caused by the one up by the bulkhead which was completely seized in one direction

Turning the steering wheel lock to lock is all that’s needed to get any air out of the system, so it’s unlikely that’s the problem.

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 25th, 2020, 06:48   #47
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
PS. Having just thought about it: you may have to remove the fan to get the cowling off - in that case unbolt it (4 10mm bolts I think) and leave it off for the time being (it won't make much difference until you run the motor for perhaps 10 minutes, which you won't be doing for a while) and also leave the cowl off until the new ancillary belts arrive. The cowl has to come off anyway, so that will save you a bit of time later. You could leave the ancillary belts off for the time being when you put the car back together. It will be fine to run the motor with no alternator or PAS to check out the new cam belt.That will give you better access to lock the crank and remove the cam cover.

... silly me Chris, I forgot the alternator belt also powers the water pump, so don't run the motor for too long without it being fitted (a minute to check the motor runs after you fit the cam belt would be fine, but no more than that).

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Aug 25th, 2020 at 06:49. Reason: Grammar.
Old Aug 25th, 2020, 15:19   #48
Chris152

We've only gone and done it, Rodney!
Timing belt and new drive belts fitted. My plan was to get the timing belt in today and put the cover back, and fit the drive belts tomorrow when Brookhouse said they should be here, but as we were working the postie dropped a parcel off with them in - brilliant service.
We left the radiator on as I felt the more we tried to do, the more that might go wrong - which I started to regret at one point as the intermediate cog slipped out of position but we found a way to line it up again (a palette knife across the correct slot in the cog which touched the housing mark once in the right place).
The hardest part was getting the power steering belt off - we couldn't get it to slacken enough so ended up prying it off with a screwdriver. Funnily, the new one went on fine.
Sounds and runs great!
We're both feeling relieved and more confident - thank you all so much for your advice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 25th, 2020, 17:31   #49
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Timing belt and new drive belts fitted. My plan was to get the timing belt in today and put the cover back, and fit the drive belts tomorrow when Brookhouse said they should be here, but as we were working the postie dropped a parcel off with them in - brilliant service.
We left the radiator on as I felt the more we tried to do, the more that might go wrong - which I started to regret at one point as the intermediate cog slipped out of position but we found a way to line it up again (a palette knife across the correct slot in the cog which touched the housing mark once in the right place).
The hardest part was getting the power steering belt off - we couldn't get it to slacken enough so ended up prying it off with a screwdriver. Funnily, the new one went on fine.
Sounds and runs great!
We're both feeling relieved and more confident - thank you all so much for your advice.
Satisfying - isn't it?
Well done you two.
Alan
Old Aug 25th, 2020, 18:16   #50
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Sounds and runs great!
Great news - you'lll have to let us know if the new PAS belt has improved the steering.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post: