Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My lovely 940 heading for Ulez scrappage

Views : 2930

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 6th, 2023, 09:57   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingmar View Post

Put this is 'parts' below, but probably best here.

Anyone want my Volvo 940 Celebration, which is now within the London SW Ulez zone?

A chap called Sadiq is offering £2,000. So offers above that considered.

One not particularly careful owner - although very fond of this excellent car - over the past 12 years, but regularly serviced. Goes well and taking to West Wales for a wedding next week.

190,000 miles. MOT 11/11/23. Rear seats in boot: ie 7 seater. Shame to scrap if of any use.

(I am not persuaded by the science of Ulez, and I don't think prudently running this car is more damaging to the world than building loads more heavy SUV vehicles, which litter my street. An unholy alliance of car manufacturers and green lobby have another view, however.)
HISTORIC taxed vehicles are allowed into these areas, might be worth keeping until it is 40 years old ! ( by which time the rules will have changed again)
Old Sep 6th, 2023, 12:33   #12
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
HISTORIC taxed vehicles are allowed into these areas, might be worth keeping until it is 40 years old ! ( by which time the rules will have changed again)
A celebration will be 1998 so it is another 15 years until it is tax and MOT exempt so that would be 15 years of daily charges to use it which would be a ridiculous amount of money.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2023, 20:20   #13
ingmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post
They aren't 'lumping them in with diesel', the emissions limits for Euro 4 petrol cars (for NOx) are the same as Euro 6 diesels. Indeed, a Euro 4 petrol can produce twice the CO of a Euro 6 diesel.

Compared to a Euro 6 diesel, or a Euro 4 petrol, an old 940 won't have great tailpipe emissions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...sion_standards

This is (I think) why Euro 4 petrol is OK but you need Euro 6 for diesel.

ULEZ are all about local air quality, and discouraging people from frequently using cars with minimal pollution control in built up areas doesn't seem too silly to me.

My parents car is a 90s diesel. I've got a diesel 740. My parents go in the Bristol ULEZ zone infrequently, so will just pay on the odd occasion it's needed. But the ULEZ will discourage people from driving the most polluting vehicles in cities on a daily basis.
This is interesting, because I am pretty anti-car in London (and everywhere else actually): I had not appreciated that a petrol 940 is, in fact, quite polluting.

I have not driven my car into central London for years. We absolutely do not use it during the week: I do the heavy supermarket shopping on a bicycle. I only use this car on Sundays to go cycling in Hampshire. And at Christmas to go to Wales; the odd outing outside London.

If Ulez really is sensible, then chapeau to Sadiq - and raspberries to Kier Starmer and Ed Davey for not backing the move. But my street is full of new SUVs: I just can't believe these huge cars costing loads are so much better for the world than my old one.

We could just pay Ulez, but I think it is time that this brilliant car slipped its mortal coil.
Old Sep 7th, 2023, 09:06   #14
Jimarilo

Reading the other day, that the majority of people are not paying the fines and in Birmingham at least the none payment of fines have been wiped ........after all those that are awake know that the so called CC is 100% BS

It is time people got off their knees and stood up for their rights

My 309 Peugeot diesel passed another MOT yesterday and has 5 more to go and will be ulez compliant .........how does that make sense ??

I will never sell my 309 nor my magnificent 940 TDCI. If I were in London I would either not pay the fines or remove my number plates. Another trend is to register the keeper to a fictional character with fictional address .......fight fire with fire !
Jimarilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2023, 09:16   #15
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
This is interesting, because I am pretty anti-car in London (and everywhere else actually): I had not appreciated that a petrol 940 is, in fact, quite polluting.
Only at the tailpipe.

If you use it infrequently, then it's infinitely better for the planet overall than a new car.

Quote:
But my street is full of new SUVs: I just can't believe these huge cars costing loads are so much better for the world than my old one.
The point isn't about being 'better for the world', or climate change.

ULEZ is about local air quality only.

Breathing the tailpipe emissions from a new SUV will be less harmful to you than breathing the tailpipe emissions from your 940.

If you live in the countryside, then tailpipe emissions get washed away and concentrations of pollutants (NOx, CO, particulates) are spread out and barely harmful. Living in an urban area there are much higher concentrations of these pollutants, and these have been shown to be harmful to human health.

For what it's worth, I hate new SUVs too, and would far rather drive a 940.
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2023, 15:37   #16
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Finally the air quality is good.

>goes for walk to breath in fresh air
>gets stabbed to death
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 00:18   #17
940volvoman
Master Member

There HAS to be a way to be to make these cars run cleaner.With the knowledge and scientific developments available surely there has to be a way,without using dodgy software to mask the problem.I can't believe we are being forced to scrap these beautiful old cars to replace them with modern junk.....
940volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 05:57   #18
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940volvoman View Post
There HAS to be a way to be to make these cars run cleaner.With the knowledge and scientific developments available surely there has to be a way,without using dodgy software to mask the problem.I can't believe we are being forced to scrap these beautiful old cars to replace them with modern junk.....
https://youtube.com/watch?v=MNrGZC8h...6-zN6txSysGFM5

This way the byproduct means more petrol.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 06:36   #19
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
https://youtube.com/watch?v=MNrGZC8h...6-zN6txSysGFM5

This way the byproduct means more petrol.
Ironically, this isn't the solution for the ULEZ problem - which is about clean air rather than CO2.

Synthetic fuels and hydrogen combustion are good for reducing CO2 output compared to fossil fuels.

However, internal combustion will always release chemicals (such as NOx, CO etc) which is still not great for people's health in built up areas.

Even hydrogen internal combustion can release lots of NOx - which is why most manufacturers are looking at hydrogen fuel cells rather than hydrogen combustion engines.
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 07:45   #20
Suterman
240 Turbo

If you lease a brand new v60 it cost around 585 a month (just over 7k a year)

with the scrappage scheme giving you 2k to crush your beautiful, solid and already paid for and served 25 years 940, thats 5k a year,

12.50 per day is £4562 per year.

discuss
1985 Bedford CF2 B230E
Suterman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suterman For This Useful Post: