Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Active Chassis 4C Delete

Views : 1795

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 13th, 2023, 10:17   #1
rob00158

Default Active Chassis 4C Delete

A post for anyone left removing 4C and reverting to standard shock absorbers.

For late 2004 P2 platform cars onwards I can offer support in removing the 4C active chassis from your CEM. This removes the need to either simply ignore the DIM warning message or try fitting the electronics from the old shocks to trick the car into thinking it still has 4C fitted.

Monroe no longer manufacture the dampers for my car and Volvo are charging around £1400 for 4C rear shocks.
Given the rear of my car skipped and bounced across the road every time it hit a section of bad/failing road surface, I had to admit I wasn't prepared to pay that money for shocks and the car wasn't safe to drive as it was.
I am someone who loves to keep a car standard and original. I love everything to work as it did from the factory but in this case, I couldn't justify the expense on my daily driver.

If anyone is interested in how to go about this, please drop me a message.
rob00158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2023, 21:53   #2
ectoplasmosis

I’m very interested! Have the ‘4C Service Required’ message appearing…

Is this a service you’re charging for?
ectoplasmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ectoplasmosis For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 15th, 2023, 07:42   #3
VroomVroomClonk

Yes please, I'd like to know how to do this.
Old Mar 16th, 2023, 17:22   #4
rob00158

The process is fairly involved and does have some costs associated with it. Usual disclaimer - you do this at your own risk. I'm happy to share my experience and knowledge but I accept no liability.

I'm assuming you wish to avoid the dealer and their costs completely and your don't have access to a genuine Volvo Dice and Vida application with subscription?

If you want to have a go at doing this yourself, you will first need to "crack" the programming code for your CEM. This will allow a program called VDASH to make configuration changes to the CCM.
This code can only be cracked with a Modunlock tool (which you can buy or rent).
Alternatively, you can make your own tool (more on this later)
Or, if you live near Bedford I can also do it for you for a beer (it'll take about half an hour)

Once you have your CEM PIN, you can use a program called VDASH to reprogram the CEM to "remove" the 4C. The cost for that is circa 130 Euro. It is purchased through the VDASH program. VDASH can be found online and is free to download but the pro version has a cost associated to it as does any configuration changes to the car.

You will also need either a genuine Volvo Dice, a good Chinese clone DICE or a VCX Nano USB tool to allow VDASH to communicate with the car.

If you aren't local to me and you want to look at making your own decoding tool, you can find all the information on github. Just google search "Volvo CEM pin cracker via OBD"
You will find two designs of decoding tool on github, I have made them both and both work equally well. One design calls for Bosch VF160 transceivers which don't seem to be readily available. I managed to get some from the US on eBay. The other uses SN65HVD230DR transceivers and requires two 10k ohm resistors as well.
You will also require a Teensy 4.0 development board (£20 to £30) and is the brains of the tool. I'd suggest one with pins to save soldering.
You will need to download Arduino 1.8.19 version and Teensyduino to compile and load the code onto the Teensy board. The code is on github (volvo-cem-cracker.ino)
You will also need to make your own custom OBD2 cable to connect the tool to your car.

I guess in the first instance take a look through some of the above online and see what you're happy with doing, how far you want to go and what you're looking to spend. Initially it's a lot of effort to go through to turn off a warning light, but once it's done you can make further configuration changes if you wish with VDASH. VDASH is also a useful tool for reading and clearing trouble codes...

I can't private message anyone as I'm too new and haven't posted enough. I'll try and help with any queries.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rob00158 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2023, 20:38   #5
ectoplasmosis

Wow, thank you for the detailed response!

Can VDASH also be used to ‘code’ parts to a car? For example, a Volvo head unit or other modules…
Old Mar 17th, 2023, 10:03   #6
rob00158

Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasmosis View Post
Wow, thank you for the detailed response!

Can VDASH also be used to ‘code’ parts to a car? For example, a Volvo head unit or other modules…
Yes. Although you could also disable MOST security with VDASH. This will allow you to use a second hand DAB module (for example) in your car without it being "coded".
Please note I'm not affiliated with VDASH nor should I be considered a professional user. I'm still new to it myself.

You can see their prices here...

https://d5t5.com/wiki/wiki/article-pricelist
The Following User Says Thank You to rob00158 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2023, 10:25   #7
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Oh I see so it's possible my nano unit WILL work with vdash then I just need to do this 'unlock' procedure on the CEM.

Might have been useful to know when I was trying to program in the new throttle body although in fairness I ended up paying someone to do it for £60 so not majorly out of pocket on that

But does it also do other stuff like DRL on/off and such.. might still be worth it for that alone or whatever other little tweaks it might allow

Also is a minor thing but I'm wondering if I can permanently remove the audio module fault which is caused by me throwing it in the bin and putting a new touch screen in (only noticed when you connect vida)

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Mar 17th, 2023 at 10:28.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 11:04   #8
ectoplasmosis

May I ask which exact model of car you own, and which model of Monroe shocks it needs?

I have a 2006 XC70, which needs Cx503 shocks, which seem to be readily available.

Many thanks!
Old Aug 20th, 2023, 11:08   #9
mackay85

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob00158 View Post
The process is fairly involved and does have some costs associated with it. Usual disclaimer - you do this at your own risk. I'm happy to share my experience and knowledge but I accept no liability.

I'm assuming you wish to avoid the dealer and their costs completely and your don't have access to a genuine Volvo Dice and Vida application with subscription?

If you want to have a go at doing this yourself, you will first need to "crack" the programming code for your CEM. This will allow a program called VDASH to make configuration changes to the CCM.
This code can only be cracked with a Modunlock tool (which you can buy or rent).
Alternatively, you can make your own tool (more on this later)
Or, if you live near Bedford I can also do it for you for a beer (it'll take about half an hour)

Once you have your CEM PIN, you can use a program called VDASH to reprogram the CEM to "remove" the 4C. The cost for that is circa 130 Euro. It is purchased through the VDASH program. VDASH can be found online and is free to download but the pro version has a cost associated to it as does any configuration changes to the car.

You will also need either a genuine Volvo Dice, a good Chinese clone DICE or a VCX Nano USB tool to allow VDASH to communicate with the car.

If you aren't local to me and you want to look at making your own decoding tool, you can find all the information on github. Just google search "Volvo CEM pin cracker via OBD"
You will find two designs of decoding tool on github, I have made them both and both work equally well. One design calls for Bosch VF160 transceivers which don't seem to be readily available. I managed to get some from the US on eBay. The other uses SN65HVD230DR transceivers and requires two 10k ohm resistors as well.
You will also require a Teensy 4.0 development board (£20 to £30) and is the brains of the tool. I'd suggest one with pins to save soldering.
You will need to download Arduino 1.8.19 version and Teensyduino to compile and load the code onto the Teensy board. The code is on github (volvo-cem-cracker.ino)
You will also need to make your own custom OBD2 cable to connect the tool to your car.

I guess in the first instance take a look through some of the above online and see what you're happy with doing, how far you want to go and what you're looking to spend. Initially it's a lot of effort to go through to turn off a warning light, but once it's done you can make further configuration changes if you wish with VDASH. VDASH is also a useful tool for reading and clearing trouble codes...

I can't private message anyone as I'm too new and haven't posted enough. I'll try and help with any queries.
Will this work if I simply want to turn the light off and have it stay off? I'm not planning on physically removing the 4C system. I have a 2005 XC70.
mackay85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 10:18   #10
Lou1983

Default 4c delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob00158 View Post
A post for anyone left removing 4C and reverting to standard shock absorbers.

For late 2004 P2 platform cars onwards I can offer support in removing the 4C active chassis from your CEM. This removes the need to either simply ignore the DIM warning message or try fitting the electronics from the old shocks to trick the car into thinking it still has 4C fitted.

Monroe no longer manufacture the dampers for my car and Volvo are charging around £1400 for 4C rear shocks.
Given the rear of my car skipped and bounced across the road every time it hit a section of bad/failing road surface, I had to admit I wasn't prepared to pay that money for shocks and the car wasn't safe to drive as it was.
I am someone who loves to keep a car standard and original. I love everything to work as it did from the factory but in this case, I couldn't justify the expense on my daily driver.

If anyone is interested in how to go about this, please drop me a message.

Hi Rob,

I am new to this forum so can't contact you directly until I have 30 posts. I have a 2005 S80 D5 with 4C on. I've already changed the shocks as this would have been my third set of Monroe's, so I need the 4C deleting on the CEM. Could I bring the car to you sometime? I'm based in Coventry so not too far.

Please contact me if this would be convenient.

Cheers,

Lou
Lou1983 is offline   Reply With Quote