Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Some questions about the S60

Views : 670

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 31st, 2022, 09:42   #1
AndrasL

Question Some questions about the S60

Dear Community,

I am new in this forum category. Currently I own a 2011 S40, but I am looking into leasing an used S60 from the latest generation (2018+). I would like to ask some questions about it, which were probably asked before, but I had no luck finding them.
- I saw in review videos that some early versions of the car have slow infotainment system. Which is the earliest production date that does not have this issue?
- I am looking into T4 and T5 engines, is there any argument against these?
- Does the T4 provide enough power for this vehicle? My current car is a D3 diesel, which has 150HP and 350NM torque. I would like to have similar or better feel of performance.
- I find heated windshields annoying (I can see the lines). How can I be sure that the selected car does not have it?
- Most cars for sale are with R-Design trim (why is this?). The roads in my country are not really good, so I am worried if these are not comfortable.
- Is it possible to fit the 16" rims to any of these cars, or did they come with different size brake disks that would interfere? (this too is for comfort).

Thank you in advance!

EDIT: bonus question: if the car does not have adaptive cruise control, can this be fitted afterwards by Volvo? If yes, any idea on the cost?
AndrasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2022, 20:27   #2
Harni

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrasL View Post
Dear Community,

I am new in this forum category. Currently I own a 2011 S40, but I am looking into leasing an used S60 from the latest generation (2018+). I would like to ask some questions about it, which were probably asked before, but I had no luck finding them.
- I saw in review videos that some early versions of the car have slow infotainment system. Which is the earliest production date that does not have this issue?
- Does the T4 provide enough power for this vehicle? My current car is a D3 diesel, which has 150HP and 350NM torque. I would like to have similar or better feel of performance.
- I find heated windshields annoying (I can see the lines). How can I be sure that the selected car does not have it?
- Most cars for sale are with R-Design trim (why is this?). The roads in my country are not really good, so I am worried if these are not comfortable.
- Is it possible to fit the 16" rims to any of these cars, or did they come with different size brake disks that would interfere? (this too is for comfort).

Thank you in advance!

EDIT: bonus question: if the car does not have adaptive cruise control, can this be fitted afterwards by Volvo? If yes, any idea on the cost?
1. All SPA S60s use Sensus. My 2021 is not slow at all nor have I heard anyone have this complaint so I think you’ll be fine
2. Can’t answer for the engine in a S60 as mines a T8PE however I have driven a T5 S60 as a loaner for a day and also had a T5 XC60 for 2 years. Very smooth and capable engine and not short of power. The S60 isn’t much lighter than the XC60 so I’d say a T4 may be slightly underpowered albeit I live in the countryside so overtaking is a common thing for me where obviously power is needed.
3. Get one with Head up display (very common on the S60 r designs) then you won’t have heated. If you don’t like HUD (the Volvo one is done really well in all fairness) then you can just turn it off.
4. Again, I don’t have a r design but the PE has much firmer suspension than a r design and I have no trouble with comfort and that’s with living in the British countryside. That said, a large pothole can be fairly nasty but like most, you can see them so just avoid or slow down.
5. Highly doubt you’d get 16s on. I had 19s on my old XC60 which I believe used the same size discs as the S60 T5 and there wasn’t masses of clearance at the front. I reckon 18s would be a minimum. I do think you will be fine with the standard R design comfort though.
6. With the ACC, yes it can be added alongside pilot assist but it’s pricy! About £1400 at a dealer as the brake pump needs replacing.
Harni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harni For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 1st, 2022, 07:48   #3
Tony Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrasL View Post
Dear Community,

Thank you in advance!

If you go to the Owners Manual via volvocars.com/uk/support and select S60/year you will find approved wheel and tyre sizes within the section on Wheels and Tyres on page 619.

It appears 7x17s are the smallest approved wheel for a T5 unless you have 18 inch brakes (unlikely, as only fitted to emergency vehicles etc as far as I can tell).

As always, don't take my word for it; check with a knowledgeable dealer.

Let us know how you get on; I'm interested in fitting 17s on my S90 when the current tyres are changed.

MY2020 Volvo S90 Inscription Plus D4, Osmium Grey, Winter Pack and other bits and pieces
Tony Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Harrison For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 1st, 2022, 09:03   #4
AndrasL

I made a mistake and wrote 16" instead of 17". 16 is the size of my current car, while 17 is the smallest offering for new S60.

Thank you both for the replies.
AndrasL is offline   Reply With Quote