Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help - C70 misfire and poor running

Views : 851

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2013, 14:08   #1
well-dweller

Default Help - C70 misfire and poor running

Car was working fine until last week. Then she developed a misfire. Took each plug out to find that plug 5 seemed duff. New set of plugs and she seemed to go Ok. On the weekend I took out the airbox and replaced the rotor arm and distributor cap (which I found to be in poor condition). Put it all back and now the thing has gone bonkers. I have absolutely MASSES of boost. You can hear me coming from miles away. I only have to touch the throttle and she's off like a bat out of hell (I have a reprogrammed ECU which wiorks fine). Trouble is it cuts out at junctions and has huge hesitancy at taking off. At the moment it runs better with the electrical connection to the AFM (or AMM) disconnected. I suppose I could have knocked the AFM when I removed the airbox lid (it stayed attached). Any ideas?
well-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 16:54   #2
MikeS100
Premier Member

The air flow meter is very sensitive so it may have been damaged with the work you were doing. If it runs better with it disconnected then it could well be the fault. If you replace it pay the extra for a genuine one, the copy ones on ebay have a history or not working from the start or failing very quickly. When I needed a new one for my V70 in November I took a chance on a second hand one as funds were tight and it's been ok since, but that's always a risk and you never know how long it will last so go for new if funds allow.
MikeS100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 13:37   #3
well-dweller

Default Cheers

Thanks for that Mike. I too have my suspicions tyhat its the AFM. And you're right, its only Bosch stuff for me. Had a Calibra turbo once and bought an aftermarket AFM. It was terrible. It used to stall the car just as you pulled out of a junction. Talk about scary, especially when you had a articulated lorry bearing down on you at speed.
Old May 13th, 2013, 13:45   #4
well-dweller

Default Afm

Right, ordered an AFM from e-bay, for £18. It arrived today, I put it in and its still the same. I have a dilemma... What if the replacement has been damaged in the post and its also duff?!
The car will run pretty much OK without the connector to the AFM, but has just failed the MOT on emissions.
I have an LPG conversion but its the same whether running on petrol or LPG, so I don't think its an ECU problem.
This all started a couple of weeks ago when the car started running on 4 rather than 5 cylinders. A change of spark plugs appears to have it running on 5 but the car cuts out at junctions and there's huge throttle hesitation. When the AFM is diconnected it runs fine, although its down on power.
Any more ideas folks?
Old May 13th, 2013, 14:18   #5
RiPsTa33
Trader

Sounds like you may have knocked one of your turbo pipes off if your getting masses of boost which could also be causing an air leak after the maf. ECU reads the amount of air flowing past the maf and adds the correct amount of fuel to the engine, if the air is leaking after the maf then it wont be adding the correct amount of fuel. If the pipe that comes off the bottom of the turbo to the turbo control valve/boost control solenoid has come off or split it will be leaking there and overboosting as it uses the pressure from the turbo to open the wastegate and control the boost.
With the MAF disconnected the ecu will revert to a base fueling map as it can no longer measure the air passing the maf

Last edited by RiPsTa33; May 13th, 2013 at 14:25.
RiPsTa33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 13:27   #6
KONRAD96

I would definitely check the hoses. I had hesitation and cutting out as well as weird noises, which turned out to be the main air intake pipe to the turbo which had broken up at the turbo end. The plastic gets very brittle. This was past the MAF sensor, but still provided hesitation and cutting out.
KONRAD96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 13:20   #7
well-dweller

Default Afm

Thanks guys, will check my hoses now.
Have now put another second hand AFM on and its exactly the same. I doubt that all three AFMs are duff. I had a quick look at the hoses on the weekend and there's a very small guage clear plastic pipe (with larger rubber pipes either end) just before the AFM which appears to "connect" to a heater pipe. Didn't want to pull it off is it looked a pig to get back on.
Yep, thinking about it, it must be this pipe that needs to go back on the turbo? If so, where does it attach?
Old May 16th, 2013, 13:42   #8
well-dweller

Default Vacuum pipe

Right, had another look. The pipe that attaches to the wastegate vacuum is properly arttached. The only one I'm concerned about is the white plastic one attached after the AFM, to the right as you look down on the pipework. Have attached a photo. The other end of this pipe goes into a larger bore rubber pipe which now appers to have welded itself to a water pipe coming up form the back of the engine. What I need to know is where this pipe should connect at the far end.
Anyone have any pics?
Old May 16th, 2013, 13:46   #9
well-dweller

Default Pic

Pic of white pipe...Volvo white pipe (after AFM).JPG