Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towing with snow tires

Views : 817

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 15th, 2007, 22:13   #1
Lunwig

Default Towing with snow tires

I'm going to be driving about 3,000 miles (4900 kilometers) towing a 1,000 pound (453 kg) trailer. I have a set of snow tires on steel rims that I will not need anymore and thought I'd use them instead of my 17" ones to save money. I realize that the wheel weight may make the car not handle as well, but I don't expect to be going more than 55MPH.

I have a Volvo 1 3/4" hitch. The car is an 1997 850R, stock except for upper strut braces. An additional ATF cooler is $450 (325 Euros) plus installation.

Any help is appreciated.
Lunwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 00:17   #2
Fivehundred

I don't entirely understand why you want to use the snow tyres? However snow tyres are perfectly capable of being used on snow free roads. As a rule of thumb winter tyres work best below 7 degrees centigrade ambient, above that temperature summer tyres are the better option.

I assume these aren't studded?

Assuming the rims are appropriate for the car, the tyres are appropriate for the rims and of a sensible speed rating it should be fine. It all depends on where this is taking place, how hot or cold is it?
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 14:49   #3
JIM C
Forum Support Team

Will be a lot noisier and will not handle as well.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 15:00   #4
Viper_7
Premier Member

So basically your wanting to use the snow tyres and put 3000KM on them instead of your normal tyres as you have no need for the snow tyres so may as just well use them up - is what about right?

The only thing I'd add to the road noise and reduced handling is braking efficiency will also be reduced (on normal roads) and so will the MPG to a degree.

You may save more just selling them - but admit it's difficult to sell on used tyres as people are wary about their history.

Vipes
Mods:
Volvo Tax disc holder - increases power output by 5%
Child Seat
Rear and side Volvo fitted blinds.
Tree Sap from May - July.
Removed at least 46 cup holders for weight reduction.
Viper_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 16:00   #5
Snow-Bear

I would have thought selling them as they are would have been better too.

Not too sure about snow tyres being used on summer roads, wouldn't they scrub out pretty quickly due to traction especially if you are driving under load with the trailer? Would braking be as efficient? Safety be compromised? which if you are towing would be a consideration especially over such distances.

Pretty sure in many countries in Europe they do not allow you to use snow tyres after a certain time in the year due to the safety, I might be wrong on this.

I would say sell them, get as much as you can, use the correct tyres and keep safe in the process.
Snow-Bear is offline   Reply With Quote