Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towing a Caterham with V40D

Views : 1127

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 19th, 2007, 17:01   #1
Fishy Dave

Default Towing a Caterham with V40D

Hi,

My first post here

I have just bought a 2000 V40 1.9D XS to act as a general runabout and tow car for my Caterham. It's my first Volvo, and whilst not exactly exciting compared to the Celica 190 I had before, it seems a sturdy beast.

Firstly, any thoughts or experiences of this model as a towcar? I really should have asked this before buying! I can see I will be within the safety margin for weight (Caterham is around 550kgs, braked trailer will be about 200kgs I'm guessing)

Secondly, it doesn't have a tow bar fitted, and searching online shows a multitude of options. So, which one to go for? Is it easy enough to self fit one, if so, where are the electrics attached in car?
I'm not looking for the cheapest, rather something that looks neat and isn't going to rust away.

Many thanks, David
Fishy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 17:25   #2
JIM C
Forum Support Team

I fitted a brink detachable bar on my S60 which I bought from Towequip who advertise on ebay. This is the make of towbar volvo use. If I was you I would use a stabiliser for towing. An Alko or Winterhoff to make it more stable and safer. This works on the towball with 2 friction pads.
Best of luck.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 18:46   #3
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Just a recommendation, but if you do fit your own towbar, could I suggest that you paint the thing FIRST. Most towbars come in makers black, which is not the worlds most rust resistant paint, so a poper coat of any decent paint greatly adds to the life of the towbar, and the life of the car's attachment points. Its also a good idea to get some sort of rustproof down the INSIDE of the towbar sections too, when I was in the Camping and Caravan club, several members reported towbars failing from the inside out, very unnerving!
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 17:36   #4
Fishy Dave

Thanks very much guys
Fishy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 22:52   #5
Paddler Ed
Volvo Driver Born 'n bred

Location: Armidale, NSW, Australia... home of rust free 240's!

I regularily used to drag a canoe trailer with a max weight of 1500kg with out too many problems. Even with the aerodynamics of an estate car being dragged behind it wasn't too bad

I'd load it up with about 8 canoes (each boat is 30ish KG) and the trailer was the best part of 400kg so it's not quite as weighty as your Caterham and trailer.

Just check the kerb weight of the V40, if the overall trailer is greater than 85% of the kerb weight it starts to get a bit more interesting. Avoid going over 100% is the best rule.
'05 BMW 320d E46 Touring.GF's car
Paddler Ed is offline   Reply With Quote