Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

One axle or two??

Views : 1250

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 9th, 2007, 03:00   #1
minesa240x3
loyalty

Default One axle or two??

I have had two caravans over the years both being 15foot long.One was a heavy wieght and the latest a lot lighter. As the kids have now grown up we need a larger caravan! My question is why do some caravans have one axle and some have two? I noticed a few years ago that most 17foot and upward caravans had two axles but recently one axle seems to be in favour.even when the wieght is the same the axles can differ.
Is it due to modern lightwieght materials or some sort of legislation?
I would have thought that two axles made the whole thing more stable.
I have a 1991 240 SE estate 2.0l auto which isn't the best tow car! mainly due to the autobox,but as I intend keeping a 240 2.0l or 2.3l for many years to come I still would like to know if the axle difference would affect the wieght I can legally tow?
Any help about the axles would be very welcome.
Regards Brian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04082007(005).JPG (121.4 KB, 15 views)
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 03:18   #2
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Found this doing a Google search:
Linky....
Some good tips even though it is dated 2005.
The bit you're interested in is:
Quote:
TWIN-AXLE OR SINGLE-AXLE?
Once a caravan’s overall size brings it’s weight over 1600kg, it has to go onto two axles. So if you want a really spacious layout, you’ll probably have to choose a twin-axle. But there are still several factors to consider. First, don’t let anyone tell you that twin-axles are inherently more stable. It’s not true, even though most caravanners instinctively assume that four tyres on the road will give better stability better than two. The match between car and caravan, and the loading of the van itself will have a much more dramatic effect on stability than anything else. And remember that a twin-axle means that there will be twice as many tyres, axles and brake fittings to service and replace.
It is true, however, that most twin-axles are easier to reverse, but this is usually because they tend to be longer than single-axle models, and there is more tyre resistance at low speeds to keep things in line. But this advantage quickly disappears if you need to manhandle the van onto a pitch or at home, when the extra resistance works against you, and you will probably end up having to buy some kind of mechanical assistance product to help you do the job. You will also find that the insurance is slightly more expensive and that some sites discourage twin-axle vans.
So weight is the issue it seems.
And your 2.0 may struggle with that 1600Kg weight...

Google search:
Linky....

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 05:48   #3
JIM C
Forum Support Team

I would of thought most twin axle caravans would be over a safe towing limit for your 240. I have only ever owned single axle caravans due to the weight issue. Stability in recent years I have used an ALCO or Winterhoff stabiliser and found when I changed to this type it made a massive difference over the old leaf spring type. I have heard that twin axles are more prone to pitching while towing. Some caravan sites abroad will not allow twin axle caravans on unless by prior arrangment.
I would stick with a single axle because there are more available, less weight, and if your car and caravan are well set up towing should not be an issue.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 13:42   #4
DC850
VOC Member

Twin Axle or single, if you select twin you are already adding the extra weight to the caravan of the wheels and axle of the second set. Also the manual turn of the twin is harder as for tight turning you will scrap one set of wheels in the arc, unless you lift/pitch the nose high enough to lift one set of wheels. Unless you really what the size of a twin, Go for a single. Remember your max towing weights etc.
DC850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 19:03   #5
Sonic Blue

I have been repairing and selling caravans for the last 20 odd years.
The reason most manufacturers produce Twin Axle versions of their models has as much to do with trends as anything else,until the size reaches approx. 18 1/2 foot.Anything over this size will be a twin to minimise flex(to much overhang on single axle).
In the mid-eighties, when it was 'the in thing' to have a twin, Abbey produced a GT 213 T,this was a 13 1/2ft twin axle.Then in the early nineties some manufacturers dropped twins from their ranges altogether when popularity took a knock.
Some manufacturers have made single and twin versions of the same model.
The issue you have,as others have said,is weight.You must NOT exceed your kerb weight to stay legal
Sonic Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 13:27   #6
minesa240x3
loyalty

Thanks for all the answers! I did notice a trend for twin axle caravans which is why I asked the question,As usual new legislation to do with wieghts and so on would only come to light if you subscribe to caravan weekly or similare.
New caravans seem to be getting longer but still have one axle?
Just to highlight this point is that my boss has just told us that we can only tow 1ton with our transit vans unless we have a tachograph? But if we work for the utility companys thames water,gas etc then we don't need a tacho.
I think also that it depends wether or not the trailer is braked or not?
I always thought that a twin axle would be easier to keep the nose wieght correct!we spend quite some time rearranging the caravan with our single.
Microwave directly above the axle portable tv in front of that awning behind the axle sleeping bag and deck chairs in front etc,etc Then of course you have the gas bottle and battery in the box right up the front.
Some of you may have noticed that I am the only person in the country to still use a WINDSLAMMER on the roof! People keep telling me they don't work.
Well I know for sure that with my very old square fronted caravan and long square backed volvo that they do indeed work!
Take it off and I can feel it pulling as I reach about 35mph and then the more I accelerate the more it pulls.With it on I feel no resistance at all.
It's to do with getting the windslammer near enough to the caravan,It wouldn't work with a saloon as the air would cause more drag!It would lift the air and cause turbulence and actually hit the front of the caravan.
Ideally it would be best fitted to the front of the caravan on a pole.
A bit like the articulated lorries you see.
Regards Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 13:57   #7
scottishvolvo
Premier Member

I've always been led to believe that, legally, you neeed a 4 wheel drive to tow a twin axle. Is this right?
2014 V40 Cross Country
Please consider registering with the Anthony Nolan Trust, you could save a life.
scottishvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 14:00   #8
JIM C
Forum Support Team

No there is no legal requirement to have to have a four wheel drive for towing a twin axle caravan.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 16:43   #9
Paddler Ed
Volvo Driver Born 'n bred

Location: Armidale, NSW, Australia... home of rust free 240's!

Recommendations are that the Max Weight of the 'van is no more than 85% of the car's kerbweight.

Twin axles are a touch more stable, as there is less pendulum motion that can be induced, but are more awkward to maneuver when reversing or pushing (can be alliviated by lifting the drawbar using the jockey wheel, but this does bend the jockey wheel if not careful... oops!)

Parents 'van is a 1700kg single axle, running on an uprated chassis from the factory to cope with the weight. Current tow car is an XC90 but will change to a new XC70 in the winter. The trick is to make sure that you're happy with the outfit (parents have been towing for 20+yrs now)

My canoe trailers that I drag around are typically 750kg max, but that's only so that I can tow with a minibus without needing D1+E, have towed a 1500kg max with my old V40 1.9D and that didn't struggle.

The scary trailers are the Canoe trailers that are used on the Ardeche by all companys down there.... Take 20+ canoes on them and driven at breakneck speed by the drivers down there... see one of those coming (normally with a 7.5 tonner towing it) along the gorge and you get out the way! They're nearly all twin axles, but that's for the weight that they are lugging
'05 BMW 320d E46 Touring.GF's car
Paddler Ed is offline   Reply With Quote