Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 or v70.....help:)

Views : 900

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2007, 16:35   #1
Lee79

Question 850 or v70.....help:)

to start with, this is my first post so a big hello from me.

right, i own a swift challenger 490 se (1991) i currently drive a landrover discovery which i will be getting rid of in the next few weeks due to i dont think its going to last another year. i have come to the decision to change it to a volvo estate, having looked at different options like bmw etc.

this is where i get into a mine field. i do like the 850 and would realy like the t5 model. however they are getting a bit old so thern comes the v70 range but have noticed the majority have high mileage. my budget is 4K.

the question is what are both vehicles like to drive with and without a caravan as i have never driven a car with a caravan before and im abit nervous in towing with one. are they up to the job?
whats the reliability facter in the 2 models, yes i know you take your chances but i didnt know if you all have experiances in them or knowledge in common faults and whats repair like on them can they be done myself or does the volve diagnostics computer have to show its face all the time.

what would be the best option an 850 or v70 from you ladys/gents who have experiance.

regards

lee
Lee79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 11:54   #2
gary1638

Hi Lee,

Up until recently I towed with an 850 T5. A very good towcar, albeit a bit thirsty. It would nudge 30mpg overall in normal use, but under 20 when towing. Before that I used an 850 2.5 20v and found that nearly as good and similar mpg returns (both auto's). If you are looking at petrol, the T5 is the way to go. Fun to drive when not towing, and similar running costs to other petrol models, other than, perhaps, insurance and tyres.

These are reliable cars which goes to explain why they are all high mileage, generally. This is not a problem, my first 850 went to 165000, and the T5 to 120000 with no expensive problems. Just ensure all services have been done, and the cambelt has been changed at the required mileage.

I maintained both these cars, easy to work on, parts not that dear. The most expensive bit that goes wrong is the air con evaporator. It sits behind the dash and is a bit of a weak spot. I had the T5 for three years and was lucky it didn't fail. The V70 'classic' is just a heavily facelifted 850, the mechanics are basically the same. Try to avoid the 1999 on V70 at there are issues with the electonic throttle module. Another expensive problem.

Good hunting

Gary
gary1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 11:57   #3
Madleee
'95 850 T5 GLE 7 Seater

Default 850 or ph1 v70?

I am guessing you are looking at the phase 1 V70 before the facelift?
If you are then the cars are mechanically identical more or less.
If you like the look of the 850 you could spen your money getting a really tidy one and a non dating number plate (if your worried about the age)
4K is 'R' territory, If you thought the T5 was good the the R is better again. R is 250 bhp, the T5 225bhp
Also you could opt for an AWD car.
A phase 2 850 (1996 on) will possibly have traction control too.
I tow with a '95 850 T5 auto. I have a 16' van with a weight of 1200kgs.
The car pulls strongly with lots of grunt.
I have not got an oil cooler fitted but have not experienced any probs. that said I don't take my 'van over the Alps or anything!!!
Tkae your time research the model you want and check out some threads on buying used swedish rockets

good luck
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 20:46   #4
Lee79

thankyou both for your replies to my post. your information is gratefully appreciated. i have re-posted for information in the 850/v70 topic area so its in the correct area.

thanks again

lee
Lee79 is offline   Reply With Quote