Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cooling fan

Views : 1878

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2009, 10:24   #1
Dylan144GT

Question Cooling fan

Hey Everybody!

I've heard that changing from a mechanical cooling fan driven by the fan belt to an electric cooling fan (mounted to the radiator) controlled by the thermostat can give you up to a 4bhp gain. My questions are:

1. Is this true? I suspect so, because its one less thing actually being driven off the engine and hence eliminating a power sapping element.

2. How does one go about modifying the thermostat housing to take a switch for the cooling fan? Is there a houseing from another model that is compatible with the B18/B20?

3. What is the minimum rating for the fan one should go for with a B18/B20? One could go for a modern volvo's fan I'm guessing. There is after all no chance of over cooling as it is controlled by the thermostat. As long as its not under rated, right?

4. Can one get a belt for the alternator made up? I can't see why not when taking into consideration the amount of custom work that is needed in racing applications. ie Supercharger belts and etc.

If anyone has attempted this, please can you post your experiences and possibly pictures.

Dylan
Dylan144GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 12:49   #2
222s
Amazoniste

I'd be interested to know more about this too - am I right in thinking that an electric fan will also allow the engine to warm up quicker, especially in cold weather?

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 12:55   #3
Dylan144GT

Hi Paul

It makes sense doesn't it; the fan won't kick in until the thermostat switch feels too much tempreture. Good when cold starting for you folks on the Soggy Island!

I've attatched a pic of a heavily modded B20. I've answered one of my own questions; the complete fan belt is needed due to it opperating the water pump! That was actually a bit of a stupid question! I just can't make out how the fans are controlled.

Dylan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0368Small.jpg (76.6 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Dylan144GT; Jan 13th, 2009 at 13:04.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 13:09   #4
Mike1967
Premier Member

IH on here did that modification , maybe have a word with him .
Mike1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 13:54   #5
Citizen.Agfa
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan144GT View Post
Hi Paul

It makes sense doesn't it; the fan won't kick in until the thermostat switch feels too much tempreture. Good when cold starting for you folks on the Soggy Island!

I've attatched a pic of a heavily modded B20. I've answered one of my own questions; the complete fan belt is needed due to it opperating the water pump! That was actually a bit of a stupid question! I just can't make out how the fans are controlled.

Dylan
Here am a couple of shots o de underbonnet area on my 144; don't know what make the fan is, but I think the controller (manually adjustable) is a Kenlowe. Note where it is mounted - in the middle of the top hose, no less!

This is not a performance motor, just my daily driver, and so far I've had no overheating probs.

Good luck, C.A.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 14:08   #6
Dylan144GT

Hi Citizen.Agfa

Ok, now we are getting somewhere! I like the idea of incorperating it into the hose. problem solved there. Thank you!

The question still remains though, its it that much of a gainful mod? Can anybody confirm this? I also guess once you add all the little gains of 4bhp's here and 3 bhp's there, it could result in like a collective 20bhp's! Which is nothing to be scorned at!

Dylan
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 09:08   #7
B20F
Master Member

I have an electric kenlowe fan in stead of the viscose fan on my ES. The thermostatic sensor is fitted in the top rad hose with a special silicone gasket. Very neat solution, and easy to fit. No need for cutting up the hose itself. You put the gasket around the top hose fitting from the rad, in the gasket there is a fitting for the sensor, and you put the hose over the gasket, seals perfectly.This silicone gasket costs only €2,50. I think i noticed some power gain, but this can be wishful thinking though. The greatest benefit is the noise reduction under the bonnet! On this site there's a drawing of the said gasket:
http://www.kenlowe.com/fans/consumers/fans05.html#

Last edited by B20F; Jan 16th, 2009 at 09:18.
B20F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to B20F For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 10:05   #8
Dylan144GT

Hi B20F

This is very neat! Its certainly worth considering. Wonder if its available in South Africa?

Dylan
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 08:45   #9
B20F
Master Member

Found a pic of the gasket on this site:
http://www.mgocaccessories.co.uk/aca...nlowe_139.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kenlowe gasket.jpg (2.8 KB, 9 views)
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 13:37   #10
nigel335
Director/ Register Keeper

Default electric fan on 140

Dylan My 1971 145 has had electric fan since 1976 cost £27.49. I have rung the original suppliers assuming using 13" fan they have in stock total cost of the whole kit every thing you need is £130 order by 1200 post same day can order over phone.
Kenlowe Accessories Co Ltd Burchetts Green Maidenhead Berkshire England tel 01628823303
I hope this helps you and anyone else who may be interested. I certainly find it works even after 32 years. one benifit is obviously the fan does not cut in until the engine reaches the set temperature. Obviously removing the conventional fan lessens the work load of the engine
Good luck let me know how you get on
Nigel 335
140 register keeper
nigel335 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nigel335 For This Useful Post: