Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 1.6D engine "knocking"

Views : 3362

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 13th, 2016, 08:43   #1
Mart111

Default C30 1.6D engine "knocking"

Right so there's a bit of history to this and I'd really appreciate some professional opinions regarding my situation!

So I bought my 08 plate C30 about 14 months ago with 32000 miles on the clock and full Volvo service history from a none Volvo dealership in Banbury for £8500.

Just over 6 months after purchasing it the car lost a load of power and started gushing out white smoke. It was due its annual service so took it in to Doves Volvo Croydon to be checked over. In short they reported that the Turbo had blown due to oil starvation along with various other faults such as an injector seal that needed replacing and other gaskets within the engine. Due to it's age (over 5 years) it was out of any manufacturer warranty and the dealerships 6 month warranty. I ended up dishing out £2700 for Volvo to do all the work.

A couple of months later, I noticed the engine was still leaking oil, took it back in and they admitted it was due to them not replacing a seal on one of the pipes. They did this free of charge.

Another couple of months later the car then went in to limp mode. Volvo Croydon took it in again, this time it was the DPF filter. Another £600 later it was back on the road.

Now this is where my current issue comes in. Driving from London back to visit my parents in the Midlands the engine started to make a knocking noise which got progressively louder, to the point where we had to pull over. Due to our location we had to pay the AA £150 to recover us to my parents house! As I was in the Midlands Volvo wouldn't recover my Volvo to the Croydon branch so the guys in Croydon agreed to liaise with whatever dealership I took it in to to make them aware of the work they had carried out.
Now because I would be taking it to a dealership that hasn't worked on the car they are telling me they would need to charge an initial inspection fee, then if they don't find the issue, another fee for looking in to it further and so on and so on until they find the fault. Though there is a chance of the issue being related to the work Volvo in Croydon originally performed, I am really reluctant to take it to a dealership who may well slap me with another £1000+ bill and claim that it's unrelated.

Below is a link to a video I took. Has anyone heard this before? if so what could it be and could it be related to the original work performed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEtV...ature=youtu.be

Luckily my parents were able to lend me their old run around for me to use so this is now sitting on their drive.
As you can see this car has been an absolute nightmare and completely put me off the Volvo brand for life. I just want to get rid of it. I either cut my losses and sell it as a none runner OR potentially get the work done with the chance of making a bit more money back. Any advise would be massively appreciated.
Nothing will replace the almost £13000 that we've lost on this though!
Mart111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2016, 09:15   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Sounds like an extreme version of injector knock.

Take a long screwdriver and touch the screwdriver tip on the top of each injector and put your ear to the screwdriver handle.
You should hear a light rhythmic tapping from all 4.
The sound of a knocking injector is very obvious.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 13th, 2016, 09:19   #3
Bloders2

i agree - a good place to start
is it smoking?
lacking power?
remove the oil filler with the engine runnint - is it chuffing normally or like a steam engine out of the filler?
the engine seems to be running failry smoothly, ie, on all four cylinders.
Bloders2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2016, 09:31   #4
Mart111

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Sounds like an extreme version of injector knock.

Take a long screwdriver and touch the screwdriver tip on the top of each injector and put your ear to the screwdriver handle.
You should hear a light rhythmic tapping from all 4.
The sound of a knocking injector is very obvious.
Excellent, will try!
Forgot to mention Volvo said it could be an injector and quoted me £480 per injector (parts only) and said they only come in pairs! Am I also correct in thinking that the engine needs to be calibrated after an injector replacement? Is this a job you think i could potentially get done by an independent mechanic at a cheaper price?
Old Sep 13th, 2016, 09:35   #5
Mart111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloders2 View Post
i agree - a good place to start
is it smoking?
lacking power?
remove the oil filler with the engine runnint - is it chuffing normally or like a steam engine out of the filler?
the engine seems to be running failry smoothly, ie, on all four cylinders.
Not that I can see and their hasn't been any noticeable power loss.
I was surprised there were no warning lights and it didn't go in to limp mode either.
I will take a look none the less. Worth a try.
Old Sep 13th, 2016, 10:19   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart111 View Post
Excellent, will try!
Forgot to mention Volvo said it could be an injector and quoted me £480 per injector (parts only) and said they only come in pairs! Am I also correct in thinking that the engine needs to be calibrated after an injector replacement? Is this a job you think i could potentially get done by an independent mechanic at a cheaper price?
On many models, you can monitor injector performance with Volvo diagnostics which can be bought for relatively little, under £100.
You have a non Volvo engine though so would need to check.
Coding, if required, can be done with the same diagnostics equipment and you can buy used injectors (which are very reliable) from a good breakers.
My appalling injector fault was solved diy for £50 so you don't have to spend big.
An injector leak back test is simple enough diy and can tell you a lot also but start with the simple (and free) listening test first.
Old Sep 13th, 2016, 10:56   #7
Bloders2

i do not believe coding is required.
new ones come individually, though personally, id replace in sets of four OR individually
ie - fix a knackered one, or replace them all. there is no logic to doing them in pairs.
second hand can work, or get yours refurbished
if it is an injector problem of course
Bloders2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 11:32   #8
SeeThisC30

Did you manage to get this fixed?

My 1.6D has had a similar knock but seems to go or at least quieten down once warm. Local indie noted second injector is leaking, so hoping it's just a case of replacing the seal and removing carbon.
SeeThisC30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 11:55   #9
Mart111

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeThisC30 View Post
Did you manage to get this fixed?

My 1.6D has had a similar knock but seems to go or at least quieten down once warm. Local indie noted second injector is leaking, so hoping it's just a case of replacing the seal and removing carbon.
Hi, unfortunately not. A mechanic friend had a look and came to the conclusion that, even though the injectors are heavily worn, it sounded more like it was coming from the big end bearing.
Couldn't justify spending any more on investigating further so sold the car for spares or repairs.
Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 12:13   #10
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart111 View Post
Hi, unfortunately not. A mechanic friend had a look and came to the conclusion that, even though the injectors are heavily worn, it sounded more like it was coming from the big end bearing.
Couldn't justify spending any more on investigating further so sold the car for spares or repairs.
Did the mechanic buy the car?