Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 2.3 Turbo Fault Finding Start Point??

Views : 605

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 22nd, 2023, 17:01   #1
Steve 940
Premier Member

Default 940 2.3 Turbo Fault Finding Start Point??

Bought a 1995 940 2.3 Turbo with a known rough idle/running issue as a parts donor for my 940 of better door cards, various clips etc.

Has ticket to June'24 and body issues just pieces of flaking lacquer on bonnet.
Too good to scrap once I've got the bits I need, so was going to do a quick fault find to see if I can get it running better and keep another on the road for someone who wants a cheap motor.

Below is link to thread to previous owner had started, and highlights actions taken so far:-
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=323447

Just want a steer on best way to start, I have spare known good spark plugs/Bougicord leads. Lamda light is on dashboard, car came with code reader that plugs into base of armrest, I believe this may be one from another user on here??

Should I clear codes now, then do a fault code code check, or should I replace plugs/leads first, then clear codes and recheck??

Cheers
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OBD Reader.jpg (27.1 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Steve 940; Aug 22nd, 2023 at 17:06.
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2023, 18:25   #2
Forrest
VOC Member

I should check and record the current fault codes and then clear them and see which ones come back in use.

I have found in the past that new spark plugs, leads, distributor cap and rotor arm work wonders when it comes to smooth running.

From the previous owner's description of the stalling on deceleration I would also suspect a vacuum leak and possibly the one I had on one of my cars - a small hole in the recirculation valve bypass membrane on the turbo. This is easy to check for. Just undo the three bolts holding the triangular cover on the turbo and lift carefully away. Dismantle and hold the membrane up to the light. I'm pretty certain that when I fixed that it improved idle; particularly when holding the car (automatic) on the footbrake.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2023, 19:14   #3
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi Forrest,

That makes good sense, some good pointers thank you.

The chap had been firing the parts cannon on it as its had various MAF's, a new Fuel Pressure Valve plus some of the small diameter vacuum hoses have been replaced.

Cheers,
Steve
Old Aug 22nd, 2023, 21:42   #4
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Just want a steer on best way to start, I have spare known good spark plugs/Bougicord leads. Lamda light is on dashboard, car came with code reader that plugs into base of armrest, I believe this may be one from another user on here??

Cheers
Steve
Code reader is one that I built; I recognise the box, Dymo labelling and instructions sheet! The downside is that I can't offer to build you one!

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 11:02   #5
Steve 940
Premier Member

Right, day off today, so time to look at this 940 rough running.

Having some issues to read the codes using Loki's reader, when I turn the selector to 'F' and 'A' I get the weak led and on pressing the button in either of these positions, I get 1.1.1. codes, so good there.

However in position 'I' ignition and 'C' cruise, I get no led light and pressing the button does nothing????

Have managed to reset lamda/engine management light using the remove fuse 1 method.

Would be good to see if I can get codes for Ignition as could be source of rough running, any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong??

Cheers
Steve
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 17:13   #6
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Right, day off today, so time to look at this 940 rough running.

Having some issues to read the codes using Loki's reader, when I turn the selector to 'F' and 'A' I get the weak led and on pressing the button in either of these positions, I get 1.1.1. codes, so good there.

However in position 'I' ignition and 'C' cruise, I get no led light and pressing the button does nothing????

Have managed to reset lamda/engine management light using the remove fuse 1 method.

Would be good to see if I can get codes for Ignition as could be source of rough running, any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong??

Cheers
Steve
If your car doesn't have cruise control the "C" position won't give you any codes; it's probably a dry joint or disconnected wire that's causing a lack of signal on the "I" (ignition) side, which is Pin 1 on the OBD plug.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 17:53   #7
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
If your car doesn't have cruise control the "C" position won't give you any codes; it's probably a dry joint or disconnected wire that's causing a lack of signal on the "I" (ignition) side, which is Pin 1 on the OBD plug.
Hi Loki,

Many thanks for that, most helpful. Car doesn't have cruise, so that position I'm not worried about.

I'll try to pop open the box to just see if any obvious solder joint issues.

Quite surprised the check engine light hasn't come back on, but suppose that's good news in one way.👍

Cheers
Steve
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 21:28   #8
Forrest
VOC Member

Did you try again after you’d reset the ECU? This might have woken it up. I think from your reply to Loki you’re planning to check the tester for continuity first, which would be my suggestion. But the same applies to the socket in the armrest.

The logic the tester uses is to take +12V from pin 16 and route it to the positive side of the LED. The negative side of the LED completes the circuit to ground via one of the signal pins and/or the momentary switch which, when pressed, grounds both the selected signal pin and the LED via pins 4/5.

I made my own reader which comprises the momentary switch and LED in a small project box but which relies on an OBD II breakout box to select the pins thus keeping me more aware of what it’s actually doing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7637.jpg (129.1 KB, 8 views)
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 18:30   #9
TonyS9
Premier Member

Exhaust manifold issues and lambda could be an exhaust leak, cracked manifold or gaskets. It will suck air in and confuse the O2. Manifold can be welded fairly easily usually.

Otherwise I'd be looking for an air leak, inlet gasket or split hose.

Stalling on deceleration can be turbo dump valve or actuator pipe.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post: