Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 Auto - 2.0 10V - Towing Recommendations

Views : 962

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 21st, 2010, 22:59   #1
CWA

Default 850 Auto - 2.0 10V - Towing Recommendations

Hi all, I'm looking to acquire a Volvo 850 estate as described above with a towbar fitted.

I am firstly planning to use it to practise and pass my B+E trailer license. Will the fact that it is automatic stop me from using it in a B+E test?

Secondly, once I have gained my license, I plan to use the car to tow a car trailer laden with small hatchbacks which I will be using for autotest and other novice motorsport events.
Can anyone tell me my vehicles unladen, and 'MAM' as I don't yet have access to a handbook.
Also, what would the recommended maximum MAM of a laden car trailer be for this engine, and the car in general?

I'm very new to towing, so I hope you will excuse any incorrect presumptions I've made in my questions, or if they generally make no sense!

Thanks in advance!
CWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 00:35   #2
CWA

Hmm well I've taken ownership of the car now and it's actually a 2.5 20V.

As I understand it, the cars unladen weight is just under 1500kg. Fully laden is around 1900kg.. ?

And the maximum (braked) towing mass permitted is 1600kg.

My question on whether this being an automatic will prevent me from using it to complete my B+E license does still stand though, I haven't found anything to suggest it would?

I'm also having trouble finding information on towing cars using car transportation trailers. I have been looking into trailers for sale and hardly any of the sellers list the weight of the trailer itself, only the maximum weight of the vehicle it can hold.

The weight of the trailer seems pretty important to me as it will surely govern the maximum weight of the car you can put on it depending on what your towing car's maximum towing mass is? Is there a reason for this? (ie my max towing mass is 1600, if I have a trailer weighing 750kg, the car I put on can't exceed 850kg etc).

What is the lightest twin axle braked trailer I would be likely to find second hand? Doesn't need to hold loads of more than a ton.. am really struggling to find things for sale!

Would be grateful if anyone can help..
CWA is offline   Reply With Quote