Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bonnet release unit

Views : 611

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 08:55   #1
DeeJay
VOC Member

Default Bonnet release unit

Had an hour or so to spare yesterday afternoon and, with good weather, decided to check the state of the bonnet release assembly as I got caught by it's failure on my previous V40 when the nipple broke off the end of the cable when I was cleaning the assembly. Turned out the cable was almost completely rusted through and would certainly have failed on the next couple of bonnet openings or so. Good news was the bonnet was open so I was able to rig up a temporary release mechanism with a piece of good old fashioned wire coat hanger and a length of stout cord. Lasted for ages!

It you have not done it yet, a good clean and re-lube is a simple job. Remove the three securing bolts, gently ease the whole unit away, rotate it and start spraying with WD 40, or similar, and give a good scrub with an old paint brush which will get rid of most of the crud and gunge. I placed a newspaper under it to stop the run-off getting onto the lower cross member. Dried with paper towel, oiled the moving latch/catch plates, and applied a small amount of grease to the cable end and around the nipple.

Operation of the bonnet alarm can also be checked. Hold the blade of the microswitch closed then set the alarm. Now release the blade, alarm should sound (it will certainly make you jump!), unset the alarm and all is well!

Not a big job, but may well save you grief in the future should your release catch fail.
DeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DeeJay For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 16:45   #2
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

IMHO

While we're at it, it's worth replacing the cable with a stainless one anyway, even if it's not at the point of rusting through! It's a lot harder to re-thread the cable once it's snapped..... although not impossible... unless the sheath is wasted too, and then you probably need to replace that properly as well. Again not a massively difficult job. On mine the sheath was ruined in the engine bay so it was just a gaffer tape repair. If it's gone behind the wheel arch you have no choice

Not sure if Volvo have re-specced the cable with stainless, or if you can get an aftermarket stainless the right size, but the tandem gear cable worked a treat for me, with a bit of filing down of the tag on the pull end so it fits snug into the pull handle.
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 23:31   #3
rickmethven
2010 V70 2.4 Manual

Local push bike shop worked for me. Gear cable which I managed to thread through all the existing housings (took a bit of patience). Secured at the bonnet end with a sawn off pin from a 13amp plug. Old school. 2 years later...still working fine.
rickmethven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rickmethven For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2015, 16:17   #4
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

That's quite a nifty idea... I went for the simpler option, and used a 3A terminal block aka "chop block" to secure mine!

baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote