Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.4T5 - Intermittent stutter/misfire.

Views : 694

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 28th, 2021, 18:58   #1
MisterGee19

Red face 2.4T5 - Intermittent stutter/misfire.

My 2005 2.4 T5 has been well behaved until recently.

Last couple of weeks ago i was travelling on the mway at a steady 70ish and the car started to misfire and hesitate intermittently.. it did it 3 or 4 times and only for a second or two each occasion
since then its done it very occasionally, during light throttle/steady state but very very intermittently. 99.5% of the time its fine, giving it the boot and it still goes like a rocket (its got an MTE remap)
As I knew i had a weak battery, that has been replaced last weekend and codes cleared in case that was causing issues.. but it has not solved the issue.

I have been checking with vida, and there are no codes giving any indication of an issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions about where to start looking? - Dont really want to start firing the parts cannon at it just yet....
MisterGee19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2021, 22:03   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

how old are your spark plugs and leads?
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2021, 00:10   #3
jason11

Fuel filter.?
jason11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2021, 00:20   #4
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Bad fuel pressure sensor (on the end of the fuel rail) can cause the hesitency.

These are fairly cheap to buy and easy to replace. My last T5 I noticed one morning that throttle response had developed a very slight delay for the engine RPM to raise, and the need to push a bit harder to do so.

New pressure sensor fitted fixed the issue. They are about £30 these days, bosch ones, on ebay. These sensors are worth changing at higher mileage anyway so I'd say try that first.
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old May 29th, 2021, 06:57   #5
MisterGee19

So the plugs were replaced in 2018 - genuine Volvo. the car has done less than 5k miles since then.
Fuel filter was replaced last weekend as I had a spare.

Can’t comment on the age of the (genuine) coils. But given they are numbered they have been in for longer than the plugs.

Regarding the fuel pressure sensor - it that something I can log with Vida to check performance of?
Old May 29th, 2021, 12:30   #6
MisterGee19

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
Bad fuel pressure sensor (on the end of the fuel rail) can cause the hesitency.

These are fairly cheap to buy and easy to replace. My last T5 I noticed one morning that throttle response had developed a very slight delay for the engine RPM to raise, and the need to push a bit harder to do so.

New pressure sensor fitted fixed the issue. They are about £30 these days, bosch ones, on ebay. These sensors are worth changing at higher mileage anyway so I'd say try that first.
Good shout on the Fuel pressure sensor..
Just gone out to get some logs and can see this when it stutters... fuel pressure reading goes waaaay up, and the ecu drops the duty cycle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuelpressure.jpg (91.4 KB, 17 views)
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 07:09   #7
MisterGee19

Just to update this - fuel pressure sensor replaced with a Bosch sensor from ebay and the car has been behaving.

I do seem to still have a very slight fluttery stumble at very low throttle openings and a ecm120d maf flow too low code so think I have a vac leak somewhere or a dying maf.
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterGee19 For This Useful Post: