Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2012 xc70, death lurch?/transmission problem

Views : 646

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 16th, 2021, 23:38   #1
ibbi

Default 2012 xc70, death lurch?/transmission problem

hi all!

i am thinking about "changing up" a bit.. and swap my 08 xc70 d5 for a 2012 xc70 wich i would assume is a d3, with a 2.4l 163hp.

i've searched the forum back and forth about this. and not found a thread that matches this.

i found a really nice 2012 xc70 few days ago with a little over 100k on the clock, but when i was checking it out the owner told me that it just came from an expensive transmission repair. and he was said that he wasn't sure about if the car was fixed. and offered me a hansom discount on the car.

according to the owners description, when he is stop at a stop light with the trans in D, when he pushes the gas pedal there is a hesitation before the trans hooks up.
i've read about the death lurch problem and that seems to be a delay on the engine/throttle.
he says that this is more like the trans went out of gear and goes back in to it when the revs go up a little bit.

he told me that the car had been like that for some time, he tok it to the local volvo service and they changed instaled a new complete valve body, he says that the car was much better afterwards, but still it happens from time to time.

it never happened while i drove the car and the trans acted fine.

but still.. as the valve body was changed out, i fear that this might be deeper in the trans, clutches or bands.

anyone heard of this?

best regards!
ivar- iceland
ibbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2021, 07:29   #2
yostumpy

Maybe the box needs an update via a download, probably only at main dealers tho.
Old Jul 18th, 2021, 12:43   #3
Kev0607
Premier Member

I’d find another car, even if the seller is giving a generous discount.

If it starts acting up again, it could cost you a lot of money to sort out. ‘If’ being the key word, but why would you buy a car knowing there’s a transmission problem? Yes, its not bad now, but once it starts (which is has), then its only a matter of time before it gets worse.

Fair play to the seller for being honest, but I’d walk away.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jul 18th, 2021 at 12:45.
Kev0607 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2021, 14:37   #4
ibbi

thanks for the answer.

the main reson i am looking at that exact car is there isn't another one for sale, a.t.m there are only 4 p3 xc70 for sale in the country, an 08 that is identical to mine, two 2016 cars and this one.

i have an 08 that is getting to old and the milage is getting higher than i prefer. this car is the only option to upgrade it. both of the 2016 cars have higher milage than the 2012 and are twice the price.

i can repair the trans my self, so in my case its not as scary as it could be for some people, as i am a mechanic by trade and maintain my cars my self, but despite of that i would clearly prefer not having to

but thats what i am trying to find out, if this is a common thing with these cars. and what the cause is.

best regards!
Old Jul 18th, 2021, 14:46   #5
Kev0607
Premier Member

A transmission fluid change might help, but I’m assuming they would have done that when the valve body was replaced?

It could also be a worn gearbox torque mount. I don’t think this will cause the underlying problem, but the lurch could seem worse if the mount is worn.

Take a sample of the transmission fluid to see if its burnt/brown & look for any metal participles.

If the fluid is brown, then a fluid change might help. If the transmission still behaves odd after that, then I’d suspect the valve body / other internal parts.

I think the valve body would be the most common part to fail. The fluid should be cherry red.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jul 18th, 2021 at 14:53.
Old Jul 18th, 2021, 17:15   #6
ibbi

there is a new brand new valve body
Old Jul 18th, 2021, 17:24   #7
Kev0607
Premier Member

If its still behaving odd after the valve body & its had a fluid change, the other culprit could be the solenoids.

I’d still look for another car. Something will come along & you could save yourself the hassle.

It sounds like you’re capable of a transmission repair, so that’s the gamble you take buying this car (if you really want it).

Last edited by Kev0607; Jul 18th, 2021 at 17:31.
Old Jul 19th, 2021, 10:29   #8
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Just for clarification, surely if the valve body was replaced they would have fitted new solenoids? It would seem short sighted to go to the bother of changing the valve body and then putting back the old valves. I know that when I had a car with a ZF auto box, the valves were the first things that were changed using a set of more modern improved design units. This may not apply to this more recent AW box.