Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Question on MY09 V70 with Active Bending Lights

Views : 1210

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 8th, 2013, 11:10   #1
Niw756

Talking Question on MY09 V70 with Active Bending Lights

Hi all,

I have a 2009 volvo v70 2.4 D5 SE Lux which has the active bending lights, im driving to france with the family soon and have a few questions as i cant find any info on here.

1. Are all active bending headlights xenon? im trying to work out if mine are, they look like xenons in that they have a half dome optic in the unit, does that make it a xenon?
2. What bulbs would i need to replace mine as i have to carry spares in the boot, are these H7's that "car parts for less" are telling me when i input my reg no?
3. What other bulbs would you recommend i carry as spares i.e. sidelights etc and what are they?
4. I assume my headlights have the adjusting lever for using in europe built inside the housing unit i just need to figure out how to access it?

I was hoping to go onto a website like www.carpartsforless.co.uk and just buy a kit to take with me but im a little stumped. and need some help.

If someone could post up some bulbs codes and links with pictures that would really help me as i dont fancy going to volvo ive already spent a lot on my car this year.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Nathan
Niw756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 13:25   #2
berrymanuk

Hey there and welcome

There are a couple of pages in the back of the owners book that tells you what bulbs you need.

It sounds like you have bi-xenon headlights. By that, I mean the "domed" ones are the xenons, and the main "inner" bulbs should be H9s. Mine are. Quick way to tell, it'll have an L-shape connector..

I've had the same problem with parts for my S80. These part places think Xenons are standard on my 07MY but I've got the plain H7/H9 setup.

We bought a standard spare bulb kit from Halfords before we set off for France last year, also taking two hi-vis jackets and two breathalizer kits.

Hope this helps!
berrymanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to berrymanuk For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2013, 14:26   #3
tt82
Forum Support Team

Yes, all ABL headlights have a Xenon dipped beam. Here is my guide for changing the bulbs which should answer most of your questions.

I plan on updating this guide with how to convert the lights to LHD soon.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2013, 15:27   #4
Niw756

thanks, just found these at £58 each

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/osram-d1s-4100k-bulb.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
Yes, all ABL headlights have a Xenon dipped beam. Here is my guide for changing the bulbs which should answer most of your questions.

I plan on updating this guide with how to convert the lights to LHD soon.
Old May 8th, 2013, 15:29   #5
Niw756

Thanks guys much appreciated
Old May 8th, 2013, 21:05   #6
GrantA
Master Member

Here's a guide on how to alter your headlights to dip to the right for continental driving. http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=73468 Actually the beam flattens and only has a small kick up to the right, well it does on my car!!

A couple more tips on driving in France if you haven't been there recently:

Carry your vehicle documents with you in the car at all times, driving licence, insurance certificate (green card if you have one), MoT Cert and your V5 or at least a very good copy showing your address in UK.

Hi-vis gilets must be accessible from inside the car not stuffed in the boot.

The French authorities backed down on the breathalyser kits after it was contested in the French courts but if you have them take them with you.

If you have a GPS ensure that all the info referring to speed cameras in France has been removed, it is illegal to have that info on your GPS although that is a difficult one for the Gendarme to enforce. Most GPSs now download the info as "danger areas" and that is acceptable.

Lastly if you approach a "STOP" sign and there is no traffic about do stop as the Gendarme hide and will jump out and get you. The fine for failing to stop is 1,500€ and it can be an on the spot fine!!! They also hide with their radar guns and they don't always wear hi-vis jackets so you don't see them easily so try and stick to the speed limits!!!

We lived in France for 7 years and only came back last year so all this info is current.

Enjoy your holiday, the roads are generally quiet and the scenery can be fantastic.

PS. Forgot to mention you need to carry a warning triangle as well. For French residents the French Gov even stipulate the size and shape to "Conforme a la Norme Francaise" but for visitors from any other country whatever you have in your car is fine.

Last edited by GrantA; May 8th, 2013 at 23:09.
GrantA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrantA For This Useful Post:

Tags
active bending lights, xenon