Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stolen Cat

Views : 951

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 13th, 2022, 12:24   #1
GingerMagic

Default Stolen Cat

Aaaargh!!

I've just popped out to start the Volvo as I'm using it later today as it's a 7 seater, only to find that some turd has nicked the Cat.
Upon inspection I can see the exhaust has been properly hacked, I couldn't quite see how much of it I need to replace.
I'm assuming this has happened before to other members here, so I was asking for some advice as to where to go from here..?
Thanks in advance,
Kelv
2019 Citroen C3 ( wife's )
GingerMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerMagic For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 15:41   #2
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi Kelv,

Sorry to hear you've been visited by some Oic, who's unceremoniously purloined your cat, hope the damage isn't too bad.

I can recall a post I stumbled across a few months ago about cat options, so I sure some of our learned posters will soon be along to point you in the right direction.

Depending on damage, perhaps you might be able to get away with new cat, and some sections of exhaust tuning that you might have to fabricate repairs to the ends of either side, just had a quick look and eBay looks a possible source

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/myriadexhaust

Let us know how you get on, and best of luck.

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 17:11   #3
GingerMagic

Thanks Steve - I'll have a chat with my mechanic guy down the road and see if he is set up with the gear to make it good until I can get it properly sorted.

New Cars are available online, not sure about the quality compared to stock cats, as the OEM Volvo ones are getting a good price on eBay.

I'll add to the thread when I find a resolve.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerMagic For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 21:33   #4
Forrest
VOC Member

Thankfully, I have not had this happen. A sloping, gravel driveway with CCTV seems to be a reasonable deterrent.

Personally, I would not shell out for a new OEM cat. I bought one some years back and it didn’t last like the original. For a car first registered before 1st March 2001 you don’t need a type approved cat. The last one I had fitted was a cheap a2a part and it’s been fine. It should also be much less attractive to thieves although you cannot guarantee that a thick oik will be that discerning.

I’ve heard good things about BM Catalysts and might look at their offerings next time I need one.

It’s unfortunate that late 940s have to have the cat replaced at all. I think on my 1994 B200FT I could get away with a straight pipe on a technicality, but I haven’t tried. The technicality being that for cars registered after 1/8/92 and before 1/8/95 the full cat emissions test only applies if they are listed in the annex of this document.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...th-edition.pdf

Under Volvo 940 in the annex it only mentions B230 engines. Not B200.

Good luck getting yours sorted.
Forrest is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 06:14   #5
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

What a stroke of bad luck being targeted this way. Could you claim on insurance? Then again your excess and a hit on your premium at renewal may make it unworthwhile....
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 08:22   #6
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerMagic View Post
Aaaargh!!

I've just popped out to start the Volvo as I'm using it later today as it's a 7 seater, only to find that some turd has nicked the Cat.
Upon inspection I can see the exhaust has been properly hacked, I couldn't quite see how much of it I need to replace.
I'm assuming this has happened before to other members here, so I was asking for some advice as to where to go from here..?
Thanks in advance,
Kelv
I'm sorry to hear that Kelv.

It is beyond my comprehension that someone would steal from another risk and being caught for something that would appear to retail for £40-£70. I rather suspect the catalytic converter was crudely hacked off and though, and it may cost you rather more than that to make a repair.

Good fortune,

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Aug 14th, 2022 at 08:23. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 11:36   #7
GingerMagic

Thank you everyone for your kind words.

I'll inform the local constabulary later to get a crime number, then see what the insurance say

It is bad luck, I'm generally pretty fortunate however I guess it was only a matter of time given the fair is in town...

It's interesting that I don't need a type approved Cat, that should be cheaper to replace.

I think there is enough of the exhaust left to use a joining piece each end and fit an intermediate pipe ( whether it's a cheap cat, or a small silencer or a straight pipe remains to be seen) using some sort of joining clamp affair.

The MOT isn't due for a while yet so this should give me time to get it properly sorted, I just need to use the Volvo from time to time as it's the 7 seater convenience I use it for.

Thanks again,
Kelv
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GingerMagic For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 11:58   #8
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerMagic View Post
Thank you everyone for your kind words.

I'll inform the local constabulary later to get a crime number, then see what the insurance say

It is bad luck, I'm generally pretty fortunate however I guess it was only a matter of time given the fair is in town...

It's interesting that I don't need a type approved Cat, that should be cheaper to replace.

I think there is enough of the exhaust left to use a joining piece each end and fit an intermediate pipe ( whether it's a cheap cat, or a small silencer or a straight pipe remains to be seen) using some sort of joining clamp affair.

The MOT isn't due for a while yet so this should give me time to get it properly sorted, I just need to use the Volvo from time to time as it's the 7 seater convenience I use it for.

Thanks again,
Kelv
A joiner to extend the downpipe or a new aftermarket downpipe, New BM cat and a new Mid box. All depends where they have cut it off.

Cat theft is a big issue on hybrids, especially my Toyota Auris. Have a cat cover and try not to leave it unattended too long. Dealer around £2,000 Aftermarket around £800. I would go aftermarket as the dealer ones still have the same level of precious metals, so a real prise to the scum.

Volvo not bothered as cat is around £55 on ebay, just the sheer hassle of downpipe and mid box being cut.

Hope you get it sorted for the least cost.

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 12:33   #9
GingerMagic

I have a stainless Cat back system fitted - I'll have to double check but I think they've cut just in front of the new middle box - I hope....

I've seen the cheaper Cats on eBay, I'm not sure of the quality or longevity but either way I'll need to tackle it at some point.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GingerMagic For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 13:20   #10
lnparry

Hi,
Really sorry to hear as same thing happened to me last November so know how gutted you feel.

I bought non OE cat and front downpipe from I think "Cats for you" or something like that. All fitted perfectly and not mega expensive.

On holiday in France this week and receipts all at home. Have a look at posts started by me and you might find the info. Otherwise I'll check later but limited Internet.

Cheers,
LeeP
lnparry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lnparry For This Useful Post: