Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My New 131

Views : 46603

Replies : 242

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2022, 08:26   #161
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
Very good question and one plenty of folk don’t appreciate before starting. Prices of everything is going up as well.

My first round spend will be around £5k probably. I didn’t have the weld repairs to do and have lots of spares. I’m not doing engine work at this stage and the car is going back as standard.

Quality paint and consumables are expensive, I will be in the region of £1.5k but considering a reasonable paint job is now £8k plus that’s a big saving. I also am setup already for painting so if you aren’t then you’ll need compressors, spraygun, air fed mask etc which add up quickly. I know of some quality industrial/yacht paints that are excellent quality and would save a good bit off the paint costs. I’m using Mipa OC 2k topcoat, Lechler epoxy and Jotun Jotamastic 80. I’m planning on using the Lechler as the high build as well which I think is a good idea for diy guys as it doesn’t absorb moisture. You want to limit the number of paint products and thickness if you want a long lasting quality finish. There’s a trend now to also add a layer of spray filler over the entire car, but it shouldn’t be needed and avoid using it if you can.

I haven’t done a engine build for a few years but if you have to then parts and machining probably will cost about £3k for a engine rebuild. If going to someone like Tinus Tuning and buying a stroked engine with dual Weber’s look at around £10 to £12k.

If doing all the work yourself and a full resto I think £5k would be a minimum budget if you are already setup but if you need to do lots of welding buying repair sections and new panels, engine and gearbox rebuilds, brakes etc then you’re in the £10 to £15k range I would think.

Time is the other big thing that most folk hugely underestimate especially if this is your first resto. Plan 1000hours plus for a full resto. This is where you really need to be honest with yourself and realistic before you start, have you got the time to commit to that and will you enjoy it. A resto will be challenging but it should be super enjoyable and very rewarding. Having a quality classic that you restored yourself is a joy and something to be proud of but walk away if you haven’t got the budget or time before you start. I really enjoy being at my workshop, it’s my hobby that makes me happy and I want the 131 back on the road next year because driving them is the best bit.

Feel free to ask questions and others will also have their experience to add.

Hi Mitch,

Thank you so much for that great breakdown, as you say rewarding, but with quite large time and will commitments.

Plenty to mull over, and I don't have any time pressures so will keep an eye out for anything suitable that comes up.

Pretty well set up equipment wise, apart from paint, but, yes I am aware I would need air fed mask, and a larger compressor ideally.

On the plus side, acquiring tools/gadgets has been a life long habit that may now pay dividends.

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2022, 08:48   #162
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Hi Mitch,

Thank you so much for that great breakdown, as you say rewarding, but with quite large time and will commitments.

Plenty to mull over, and I don't have any time pressures so will keep an eye out for anything suitable that comes up.

Pretty well set up equipment wise, apart from paint, but, yes I am aware I would need air fed mask, and a larger compressor ideally.

On the plus side, acquiring tools/gadgets has been a life long habit that may now pay dividends.

Cheers
Steve
No worries, glad to help. I agree on the tools. 😁 Regarding Amazon or 145, both are cool. The 140 spares are harder to find and the repair panels typically lower quality than the Amazon ones. A 145 will also have less resale value. But I also have a 142 and love it and will never get my money back so it's not going anywhere. A mate had a lovely 145 and was a very cool useable classic. Setup properly either will be a joy to own and use regularly.
Old Oct 24th, 2022, 12:06   #163
Othen
Premier Member

That was a really good answer by Mitch above Steve. The prices don't surprise me at all: a local body shop (Downies) told me they had charged £35,000 for a full body restoration on a P1800 (I don't think that included any engine work). It looked lovely, but probably puts the break-even point at about £50,000.

Mitch makes some really good points about facilities: do you have the wherewithal at your home to do extensive welding (so probably a rotisserie) and spray a whole car? If not you might have to outsource those bits for a complete restoration.

There are two important decision to make when considering a restoration project:
a. How good a motor car to start with.

b. How good a motor car you want to end up with.
These two will dictate how much it will cost and how long it will take. If you bought a wreck it like this:

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1514773

it might be only 2 grand, but will cost a great deal even just to make it drivable. This route might take two years of your life and cost tens of thousands.

You could buy a good rolling restoration like GAM (it cost ne £3,750) and spend a little (I spent £1,500) to make a nice driver (but far from a show car, that will never be my aim). A motor car like this one looks okay for less than £5,000:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144771210...Bk9SR8bV35mBYQ

... I haven't looked at it but if you spent a few thousand and did the work yourself you could probably make it very nice. The whole thing would cost maybe £6-7,000 and could be done at your own pace.

Alternatively you could buy a good car for something over £10,000 - there would still be tinkering jobs to do. There are plenty around, like this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134256418...Bk9SR8bV35mBYQ

You could certainly drive it just as it is, but there would always be tidying up jobs.

If you haven't restored a vehicle before I wouldn't try the first option (a poor car for 2 grand) - I suspect you would either never finish it or the costs would spiral. Buying a good car at over £10,000 is okay, but perhaps not really what you are after. I'd suggest looking for something like GAM (or perhaps that 1966 motor car in the link above) - if you don't need to make a show car it would be a good first project, give you something to do (you could start it now on your weekends) and would be a nice thing. You will probably never completely finish the project (like GAM), but that doesn't matter.

Good fortune.

Alan

PS. My apology Mitch - we have slightly highjacked your excellent project thread.

Last edited by Othen; Oct 24th, 2022 at 12:37.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2022, 14:48   #164
Steve 940
Premier Member

Mitch & Alan,

Much appreciate your comments, and think we pretty much on same page.

Yes apologies Mitch for hijacking your thread on your fantastic rebuild, I will perhaps start a separate thread this evening when I have a bit more time, regarding things to consider and be aware of when looking at starting a restoration project.

Look forward to more progress updates Mitch.

Cheers
Steve
Old Oct 24th, 2022, 15:25   #165
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Mitch & Alan,

Yes apologies Mitch for hijacking your thread on your fantastic rebuild, I will perhaps start a separate thread this evening when I have a bit more time, regarding things to consider and be aware of when looking at starting a restoration project.

Cheers
Steve
Good idea about starting a new thread Steve.

Thank you to Mitch for this fascinating project thread.

Alan
Old Oct 24th, 2022, 18:14   #166
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Just a few wee repairs to the wings.
That's some great metal work you've done there, if you get the chance check out Iron Resurrection, the owner Joe is like *how'd he shape that* uses an English wheel a lot, and when a panel isn't available they or he will make a piece out of thin air, he's got a good young lad in the latest series whose also pretty handy.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2022, 23:10   #167
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Mitch & Alan,

Cheers
Steve
Would be a good topic for a thread as there's many ways to skin that restoration cat. Most times it comes down to what car you buy qnd your expectations for it. ,

On holiday at the moment and looking forward to more playing when I get home.
Old Oct 24th, 2022, 23:30   #168
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
That's some great metal work you've done there, if you get the chance check out Iron Resurrection, the owner Joe is like *how'd he shape that* uses an English wheel a lot, and when a panel isn't available they or he will make a piece out of thin air, he's got a good young lad in the latest series whose also pretty handy.
Thanks. Will check Joe out. There's some talented folk on youtube and always enjoy finding a new channel. My favourite is Carter Autorestyling. I built a English wheel and did a week's course with Geoff Moss down in Cornwall, he mainly makes E type fronts ends. He was originally a Aston Martin apprentice when they made panels on the english by hand and got paid by the panel, hence he is very proficient. I learnt a lot about stretching and shrinking metal amd the metal work is by far the bit I enjoy the most. Geoff also welds with oxy even the Aluminium panels, I typically try and use tig where practical as it's very similar and can be plannished at the end. I try and convince folk to use tig as it's quicker and much better than mig once you're proficient.

I'm using my phone so excuse the spelling mistakes.
Old Oct 24th, 2022, 23:53   #169
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks. Will check Joe out. There's some talented folk on youtube and always enjoy finding a new channel. My favourite is Carter Autorestyling. I built a English wheel and did a week's course with Geoff Moss down in Cornwall, he mainly makes E type fronts ends. He was originally a Aston Martin apprentice when they made panels on the english by hand and got paid by the panel, hence he is very proficient. I learnt a lot about stretching and shrinking metal amd the metal work is by far the bit I enjoy the most. Geoff also welds with oxy even the Aluminium panels, I typically try and use tig where practical as it's very similar and can be plannished at the end. I try and convince folk to use tig as it's quicker and much better than mig once you're proficient.

I'm using my phone so excuse the spelling mistakes.
We doff our hats yet again, a man who's built his own English wheel!!! To be honest I did get drawn down this route on YT with a great clip of using an I beam RSJ and cutting out sections then re-welding to form a C shape for the main frame.

Enjoy your well deserved holiday

Cheers
Steve
Old Oct 25th, 2022, 00:24   #170
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
We doff our hats yet again, a man who's built his own English wheel!!! To be honest I did get drawn down this route on YT with a great clip of using an I beam RSJ and cutting out sections then re-welding to form a C shape for the main frame.

Enjoy your well deserved holiday

Cheers
Steve
If thinking of building one check out the Imperial English wheel design, made from rectangular box section. https://imperialwheelingmachines.com/ design info on the All Metal Shaping forum. Mine is in there as well https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=8349 think you have to join to see the threads.

Thanks, in Oz having a good time.