Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DISASTER!!!!!! Oh Woe Is Me!!!

Views : 1583

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 17:18   #1
Dave M

Just took the Ol' girl for an MOT today and the Diagnosis wasn't Good:-0
The car failed on two major areas....

Two holes on the inner sill the size of a Fifty Pence piece at the rear. (each!! Making it a pounds worth ... Yeah, I know, but now's not the time for Jokes!:-( )

And Worst of all the power steering rack has gave up the Ghost after 6 months, and is now p***ing fluid all over the shop!!! the previous was "Lazy" and went stiff under parking.

I didn't expect this at all, the car is usually well maintained but this.... Bummer!!!:-( So to say I'm in the Doldrums is a mild understatement, It still needs taxed, and all before that Fat B*****d in red drops down the chimney Bah! Humbug!!!!

Anyone got a new rack Lying about???

And to the Vultures on the Wire.....IT AIN'T BEING BROKE!!!

Just thought I Share My woes with all **SIGH***!!

Regards
Dave M
Old Oct 24th, 2002, 19:13   #2
DaveBurton

Default RE: DISASTER!!!!!! Oh Woe Is Me!!!

Hi Dave keep your chin up you are the only other bloke i know that likes 760 v6s, try euro car parts very helpfull, www.eurocarparts.com
or volvo breakers 01234 743 662,perhaps some 900 series bloke has got one from yesteryear gathering dust at the back of is garage he let you have for a fiver.

keep smilin :7
dave
Old Oct 24th, 2002, 21:10   #3
Ian HT
VOC Member

Hello Dave,

Sorry to hear the news - hope you can get it sorted without too many complications. I've just come in from changing the wife's car's distributor cap, rotor arm and plug leads. It chose today to eat the last of the cap's centre carbon contact. It's a 1.7 Renault 19 - same engine as some of the Volvos I believe. My 940 is (touch wood) still unstoppable by such mere mortal afflictions.

I think the Renault is playing up because it may have overheard us talking...It is about to be relegated to third/spare car by a 760 V6 estate! I share a liking for the V6 and should be able to trust this one - the car in question is well known to us (wife's uncle's) and has a good service history.

I once had a Renault 25 Turbo - V6 2.5 turbo - and had to spend a small fortune when it started mixing oil and water. The next time it started doing that I part exchanged it quick!

Anyway, do let us know how you go on, and I'll let you know how our 760 seems when we pick it up.

Ian.
Ian HT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2002, 21:15   #4
Paul_UK Dorset

I,m not a great lover of Eurocarparts I've been supplied with the wrong parts to often.:-( You could try German Swedish & French (G.S.F.)
Paul Jackson
940 Wentworth
Old Oct 25th, 2002, 18:01   #5
Dave M

Y'know this kinda opens up a new can of worms (Tin ones to be precise he..he!)

But there seems to be an area of debate here, about how the V6 is a pile of pants or not and I'm wondering whether this should be transfered to the main board or not?

The area of debate seems to hang round the V6 and it's ease of maintenance and it's performance. It's worth noting that in it's day, it's all Volvo had that could be called a "Performance" vehicle. I use the term "Performance" loosely. Up until then there wasn't an engine in the range that could offer 176bhp as standard so I guess that would have to do.......

That is until Audi decide to enter a partnership with Volvo and allow Volvo to use the now legendary 5 Cylinder in their car. But lets look back at this "Beast"...

It's an OAP that thinks it's a boy racer every time!:-) In stock form it can produce 136bhp as a standard fuel injected engine, But wait, it's over thirty years old and was readily available as a 2.2ltr in most of the Audi range, the reason for the five was that Audi wanted an engine that had all the power of a 6 but the economy of a 4, hence the 5 is born!! Now for the good part.. That "OAP" could be tuned to 1000bhp as was used in the Pikes Peak Hill Cilmb! This was all obtained from a thirty year old+ 2ltr engine. In the days of the Group B Rally cars AUDI entered it's "Quattro Turbo" as the S1, the Short wheel based Quattro, and this car could produce 500bhp in turbo'd form. So although You all say that the V6 is now pants look what you're comparing it to ....A Thirty+ Boy Racer that belonged to some one else, and is in actual fact hand me down from another manufacturer and has been "possibly" updated if it can be called that by Volvo. Going back to the V6 for me it's got a nice rumble to it, I can work on it (And will have to do this again soon!!) and It has 176bhp stock!

Lets look at the data available:

Audi 1 Volvo 0 Audi had the 5 pot first and not Volvo.

Audi 2 Volvo 0 Audi Were both World Rally Champions and Pikes Peak
hill Climb Champions using the 2ltr turbo'd 5 ....
and Volvo????

Audi 3 Volvo 0 Audi develops an autobox mated to then Flagship
200 and produces a combination that can only be
rivaled by a quarter mile Dragster on the Stall
test... 1750rpm to be precise before stall!!

So I'm afraid that you're arguement that Volvo has a better performance car now doesn't wash, admittedly the 5 pot is the best, but remember it's an OAP really with it's base ball cap on back to front and this was all done by another manufacturer!! So really the V6 does just fine and was the Volvo Flagship....IN IT'S DAY! And your T5'...well, Old hat!! I had a 200 Quattro turbo that had its engine Modified, taking it to 270 bhp (200bhp stock:-) ) and that was late 80's!! So there you have it...

Just My £2's worth!!

And I still Luv My Hearse... with it's 176bhp:-)

Regards
Dave M
Old Oct 25th, 2002, 18:16   #6
Ian HT
VOC Member

I seem to recall that my old Renault 25 was 182 BHP and 200 lb.ft.
It was faster than my wife's Peugeot 205 GTI. I liked the engine in that form and hope the 760 will be as good when we pick it up (tomorrow, all being well).
Ian.
Ian HT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2002, 22:41   #7
Dave M

He...He...He! Keep me posted, you know where I am if you need help!

P.S There IS more than just me that likes the 760 you know...Like a very small fanzine of....4?? :-)

Good Luck!!

Regards
Dave M
Old Oct 26th, 2002, 01:25   #8
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Dave are you forgetting that pre-war Gardner were producing a five-cylinder diesel engine? It propelled a lot of buses with great gusto and achieved 22mpg, in the hands of the "Lincolnshire Road Car Company" (an omnibus service provider), driving a single decker bus with around 30 passengers. This engine was the Gardner 5LW and a cracking engine it was too with very little vibration and excellent performance for an (I think) 8 Litre size.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2002, 08:25   #9
Dave M

He...He..He,

Are you likening my "Prized" :-) 760GLE to a bus?? Mind you, It has that potential......Hmmm I wonder if I could persuade 'er indoors to go out and do a shift:-0

Regards
Dave M
Old Oct 26th, 2002, 11:00   #10
George Holmer

I think Peter was rather arguing along the lines of a 5 pot not being something new, like you did...

George

Resident near Leuven in Belgium

'87 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler
'88 745 Turbo Intercooler