Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wireless Android Auto (and Carplay)

Views : 12609

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 1st, 2021, 16:08   #31
Chrisaaaaa

Question Does any android phone work with Volvo

I have the early SPA XC60 MY2018, paid dealer to retrofit AA, it was barely usable at first, ie it could hardly connect and when it did it was an unusable letterbox.

Over time and updates the letterbox has got a bit taller and the connection is solid.

However it remains a frustrating experience, you can see it, you can touch it, the buttons even highlight to let you know you are touching them, but will they accept commands, no. Drop down a menu, recent destinations, you want item 5, well maybe if you press the 6th you will get that, maybe it will just scoot up the menu so you cannot see it again.

I thought, old phone, OnePlus 6 with android 10, but now it is on android 11, still awful.

OK, maybe it is some kind of safety feature to discourage you from using the screen (even when parked and engine off).

But then I tried my wife's Skoda (AA as standard), no trouble, wireless android auto, of course, buttons that work, why not.

I have added to the fun by adding a AA wireless adaptor to my car, what larks, it connects like a limpet to AA even if you are not using it, which renders your phone unusable with or without AA

So the question has to be, does the Volvo AA work for anyone, time for a new phone for me, do I buy a oneplus, samsung or pixel?
Old Nov 8th, 2021, 15:19   #32
ZenSpeedmaster

I have android auto in our V90CC and it's a disaster. It works just like yours - not at all!! It's so awful I actually laughed when I tried to use it a few times in the weeks after we bought the car. I haven't tried again since. I have a Samsung galaxy S20. Pretty unbelievable in a machine that cost so much. The car was updated to service 2.0 in its service last year.
The Mrs has an iPhone and the apple car play works reasonably well although not perfect.
Old Nov 9th, 2021, 12:47   #33
Chudy85
Volvo family member

Good to read your comments on that. I was thinking to pay £300 for Android auto but you have changed my needs Thanks guys
Old Nov 9th, 2021, 13:23   #34
Chrisaaaaa

Maybe try before you buy, I had used AA in other cars and didn't realise it could be so screwed up.

In this age of being fined for touching your phone even if you are not moving, decent phone integration is a necessity.

I have been making progress, I have one of the AA wireless devices now, just connecting it is as awful as ever, worse even with all kinds of automatic help to defeat.

But, it has an ability to meddle with the DPI reported from the car to the phone, by tweaking this value you can expand the display, so the fixed elements do not take up half the screen and trip over each other. Like this, touch wood, it is creeping up on usable.
Old Jul 21st, 2022, 14:15   #35
tonyblack1964

Default retrofit CarPlay and Android Auto kit

Just to revive this thread, I have fitted a Integrated Automotive IMI-1000 Android Auto / Apple Carplay box to my 2012 XC60. Getting used to it and it works quite well with the latest Android Auto upgrade.
tonyblack1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2022, 14:46   #36
S90
IT Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyblack1964 View Post
Just to revive this thread, I have fitted a Integrated Automotive IMI-1000 Android Auto / Apple Carplay box to my 2012 XC60. Getting used to it and it works quite well with the latest Android Auto upgrade.
I assume that’s either a typo of 2012 or this is in the wrong section and your referral to Android Auto is nothing to do with this thread?
Old Jul 21st, 2022, 16:33   #37
tonyblack1964

Default ???

????? the title of the thread is literally 'Wireless Android Auto'. How is my post, which concerns the retrofitting of a Wireless Android Auto box, not relevant? And no, it's not a typo, it's a 2012 XC60.
tonyblack1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2022, 17:43   #38
S90
IT Guru

This forum is for SPA vehicles! The fact that the thread title is about wireless ACP is irrelevant when your vehicle is not SPA