Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

sunroof / moonroof reseal

Views : 10541

Replies : 76

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 10th, 2020, 19:28   #51
Free940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Herewith the images of my 940 estate sunroof in the vented position, as you requested.

From left side:

From right side:

Are they satisfactory?
Thanks Ian! Very nice.

Is it wrong to lust over another man's sunroof?

Chuck
Free940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Free940 For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2020, 21:57   #52
Ian21401
Premier Member

Chuck:
I understand that you have other issues on your car which you are dealing with. You appear to have made a good job of sorting that damaged ignition amplifier plug and good luck with the other issues.

My sunroof was working when I acquired the car but it had deteriorated since then but I was fortunate in that I was able to obtain the required replacement parts to rejuvenate it.

I apologise for the quality of my images which were obtained using my ancient Nokia 'phone but hopefully, together with previous images and you recent ones they will be adequate.

I see from your images in post 48 that the "short rods" have broken away from the Selector Gate fitting. Having seen the Skandix image of the Selector Gate I'm surprised that the short rod is sold as part of the Selector Gate . I would have expected it to be listed as a separate item. But that could explain why it is not itemised in the volvopartswebstore (VPWS) exploded diagram. The Selector Gates are handed and listed as part numbers 3503788 (left) and 3503789 (right).

When I was replacing my sunroof seal and wind deflector I dia not examine the Selector Gate are closely, hence my thoughts about how your pieces should fit together were a little off the mark. I have since had a closer look at mine. I note that what I referred to as "bobbin" on the end of the short tube is in fact a spring cli, presumably meant to secure the short tube onto that projection from the Selector Gate assembly.

I was loathe to dismantle my mechanism or remove the sunroof again bit I suspect that it may be possible to see more clearly with the sunroof panel removed. I see that the light coloured "cranked" arm appears to consist of two parallel pieces and incorporates that projection which that short rod was located on but which has now broken. The lower ends are attached to the "Sliding Block" (item 5 on VPWS ) by a pin which I cannot see itemised on the VPWS exploded diagram. It may be supplied with the Selector Gate assembly. The upper ends of that "cranked arm" have two pins which locate through the slot on the Selector Gate and are secured by the "Washer" and a clip termed a "Lock Washer" ( items 9 & 10 ). If, as it appears, the Selector Gate is supplied with these parts alreadyh attached then it appears tha the only connection between the Selector Gate and the Sliding Block is that pin through the lower end of the "cranked arm". Quite how that is fitted and secured I do not know but it may be obvious when the sunroof panel is removed and the Sliding Block is more visible. Given that that arm assembly only appears to be secured to the Selector Gate by the pins in the slot and to the Sliding Block by a pin, if a damaged sunroof could be obtained it may be possible to salvage that separate arm and short rod from the Selector Gate assembly and fit it to yours, or even salvage the complete Selector Gate assembly.

The following images show how the rectangular steel frames are attached to the rear underside of the sunroof panel itself. The frames could be item 31 on the VPWS diagram but are listed as a "spring". The spring itself could be item 32 which is also listed as a spring.

Is there anyone reading this who may have such a damaged beyond repair sunroof assembly from which the required items could be harvested?

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2020, 22:17   #53
90Wine745

Quote:
Herewith the images of my 940 estate sunroof in the vented position, as you requested.

From left side:
From right side:

Are they satisfactory?
Hi Ian, Super pictures, just perfect. Thanks, I will get working on the montages I had in mind. (P.S. It looks lust like mine .... a 700 series)
Mike
90Wine745 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 90Wine745 For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2020, 22:44   #54
Free940

Thanks for the pictures and detailed info Ian. Between your info and a little common sense/trial and error I should be able to figure it out.

The engine is running pretty decent. My only complaint is it takes a minute or so to idle on start up. I am getting a 1-2-2 error on bank B, pin number two which is probably related. "Signal missing or faulty to/from air temperature sensor". I'm not sure which sensor it refers to.

I took it on a short road trip it. It runs/rides pretty smooth considering the bad tires. I couldn't go far as I have not registered it yet and have no tag/insurance.

I next need to tackle the non operational air conditioner and if I accomplish that I will purchase some new tires. After this I will move on to the sun roof, but who knows.. when the seal arrives, I might just pull it inside and work on it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Free940 For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2020, 22:58   #55
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free940 View Post
Thanks for the pictures and detailed info Ian. Between your info and a little common sense/trial and error I should be able to figure it out.

The engine is running pretty decent. My only complaint is it takes a minute or so to idle on start up. I am getting a 1-2-2 error on bank B, pin number two which is probably related. "Signal missing or faulty to/from air temperature sensor". I'm not sure which sensor it refers to.
Probably the one in the dome light for the A/C system. The engine doesn't have one!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2020, 00:58   #56
Free940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Probably the one in the dome light for the A/C system. The engine doesn't have one!
Well then, how do you get rid of this 1-2-2 error? Do all 940 throw out this error code, in other words, is this normal??

I tried two procedures for clearing it

1 disconnect battery, and reconnected, still there.

2 Hold button for 5 seconds etc..

and it still will not go away.

EDIT---------------

I realized that I should not have posted this here since this is talk about sunroofs.

Last edited by Free940; May 11th, 2020 at 01:50.
The Following User Says Thank You to Free940 For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2020, 01:08   #57
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free940 View Post
Well then, how do you get rid of this 1-2-2 error? Do all 940 throw out this error code, in other words, is this normal??

I tried two procedures for clearing it

1 disconnect battery, and reconnected, still there.

2 Hold button for 5 seconds etc..

and it still will not go away.
You need to find and either reconnect or renew the air temperature sensor on the heater blower/fan unit. Code1-2-2 does NOT exist for the LH2.4 injection system :

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Eng...InjectionFault

However it does for the A/C system :

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Hea...iagnosticCodes

It is possible you've misread the code and it's on the engine/LH2.4 system and is in fact 2-1-2 but you'd get the EML/MIL/"Lambda" warning light on the instrument cluster coming up if that was the case.

Have a read of the info in both those links and make sure you're accessing the LH2.4 system and double-check the code, if not check the A/C system and thatair temp sensor mounted in the fan housing area.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old May 11th, 2020, 12:12   #58
90Wine745

Quote:

From left side:
From right side:
Are they satisfactory?
Between Ian (Ian21401) and myself we have put together pictures of a 700 and 900 series steel sunroof. This is primarily to help with a photographic comparison between the two, help assess the similarity and the compatibility of parts that are available for each. After all, pictures speak so much louder than words sometimes. I get confused about the suitability of the parts for my 740 hence this little exercise. Thanks Ian.

Pictures are attached from the following aspects, the Front Left and Right of Sunroof, the tilt mechanism at the rear of the sunroof and the seal from the rear left side in the tilt position.
In each picture, the 700 is on the left (Red car) and the 900 is on the right (Silver car).

This is thread ‘sunroof / moonroof reseal’ started by aardvarkash10 on May 02, 2020, thanks to you for that. There is also another great thread called ‘Sunroof Wind Deflector’. which I attach a link to here.
Link to ‘Sunroof Wind Deflector’ thread:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=299721

Of course there is a wealth of great information on the Volvo owners Club, link attached here
https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/BodySunroof.html

I hope you find this useful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3885.jpg (145.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3887.jpg (46.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3889.jpg (52.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3882.jpg (160.4 KB, 7 views)
90Wine745 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 90Wine745 For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2020, 00:52   #59
Free940

I got my sunroof seal in. I am impressed with the company I bought it from, Scandcar. They automatically took care of my Paypal error without any communication They saw that I had paid three times and gave me a refund. Prompt shipping too. From the Netherlands to South Florida in one week... not bad. It was not available in the U.S.

Genuine Volvo:

Here is a blurry end view. It measured 111 5/8 Inches (295.275 MM) in length:

Next chance I get, I will try to install it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Free940 For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2020, 01:15   #60
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Excelent service!

When you come to fit it, try and "bunch it up" as tight as possible (a rubber mallet to dress it towards the bit you've already fitted helps) so that if/when it shrinks in service, it's still long enough to reach. You'll be surprised how much you can get on that way.