Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Running Costs

Views : 452

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 9th, 2024, 22:48   #11
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
pcp is dead money unless you are putting it through as a business perk they are no good for the general motorist.= massive expenditure with nothing to show at the end.
Or..... fixed cost motoring for those who have no interest in cars and just want something new, reliable with no hidden surprises.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 10:54   #12
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Looking at the list, he's owned the car for 11 years, so £17k / 11 = £ 1,550 per year in maintenance. Remove the unfortunate gearbox rebuild from the equation and its £1,200 per year.

Land Rover Discovery/Range Rover owners would be delighted with that.....
To be honest, that's just a stereotype.

The majority of people that own these cars generally don't look after them. They want to drive around in a big fancy jeep, but don't want to pay the servicing costs. Then you have those that use them for the school trips around the corner and then complain when they get EGR and DPF issues.

If these cars are maintained properly, they're generally reliable. Yes, servicing is expensive, but its a luxury vehicle... its not going to be cheap. Like an XC90, Range Rover's can't be run on a shoe string.

My Dad and Brother have owned Range Rover's for years. They've been serviced every year and never broken down. Being heavy, they're hard on brakes and suspension parts though, but most big 4x4's are.

The ride is very comfortable. In fact, Volvo doesn't even come close comfort wise going down potholed roads. Nor is the Mercedes GLS.

Range Rover is still the king of the 4x4's, regardless of what blurb you see on the internet. Maintain it properly and it'll look after you. Never had a problem with Dad's, only a wheel bearing. My Brother had an airbag compressor fault, which wasn't cheap to fix. Now its back floating down the road like it should for many more years.

Last edited by Kev0607; Apr 10th, 2024 at 11:01.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 11:04   #13
giw12

I bought the car for £9k in 2012, so 12 years ago now. Maybe it's worth a couple of grand now, but certainly depreciation must be more or less nil.

In all that time it has not once let me down i.e. it has never failed to run. I've thought many times about upgrading to the new one but I always land on the fact that it's a family workhorse and the new one would do exactly the same job.

I guess I've become quite attached to it. Strange, I know...
giw12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 11:11   #14
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giw12 View Post
I bought the car for £9k in 2012, so 12 years ago now. Maybe it's worth a couple of grand now, but certainly depreciation must be more or less nil.

In all that time it has not once let me down i.e. it has never failed to run. I've thought many times about upgrading to the new one but I always land on the fact that it's a family workhorse and the new one would do exactly the same job.

I guess I've become quite attached to it. Strange, I know...
That's understandable. You've invested into it and it has treated you well.

There's literally no depreciation on it now. Just any money that goes into it will be purely to keep it going, as opposed to seeing a return on it at sale time.

The newer one will do the exact same, but you may not have the expense initially on the maintenance side of things. The day will come where money will need spending on it though too, plus there's the cost to buy it.

I see why you stick with what you know. Its easy to buy someone else's problems, which happens frequently.