Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No heat in electric mode

Views : 2417

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2024, 17:53   #11
Lexman8
Premier Member

They're clearly trying to avoid paying out. Perhaps suggest to the warranty company that they get an independent engineer (that they appoint) to confirm the diagnosis?

Also, as it's a known problem I'd ask the dealer to ask Volvo for a contribution to the replacement cost.
Old Jan 16th, 2024, 18:29   #12
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
They're clearly trying to avoid paying out. Perhaps suggest to the warranty company that they get an independent engineer (that they appoint) to confirm the diagnosis?

Also, as it's a known problem I'd ask the dealer to ask Volvo for a contribution to the replacement cost.
The MY20 cars had fuel powered auxiliary (parking) heaters fitted and these units do not have a history of failing like the newer High Voltage coolant heaters used on the later cars and so are not a known problem at all. So much so that I've only really seen mention of one other fuel fired heater not operating (but that could be this thread when I originally read it).

Regardless of there being or not being a fault code, it should be very easy to check if the unit is operational or not i.e. select cabin pre-conditioning via the app or take the car out in elec mode with an engineer with the diagnostic unit plugged in to see if it operates or if the ICE fires up to warm the cabin.
Like Lexman says, getting an independent engineer to confirm shouldn't be an issue.

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2024, 07:57   #13
giftgrub100
giftgrub100

Also double check additional heater function is switched on in the settings, can be easily missed and stops the heater functioning.
giftgrub100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2024, 09:32   #14
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk546 View Post
The MY20 cars had fuel powered auxiliary (parking) heaters fitted and these units do not have a history of failing like the newer High Voltage coolant heaters used on the later cars and so are not a known problem at all.
You're correct; I'd assumed he had electric pre-heating.

I have the fuel-fired heater and it has never failed to work in 7+ years.
Old Apr 4th, 2024, 16:55   #15
mickeyg68

Default No heat when running on electric

I’ve just bought a 2021 V90 and the heater didn’t work when driving in electric mode from the word go. I’ve had it into Volvo on Tuesday and they told me they fitted a new HVCH unit. The car was warm on the way home and all seemed fine. I’ve turned the climate on through the app this morning and when I got in the car there was no heat. I drove for about 10 miles in pure electric mode and yet again there is no heat. Do you think I’ve got another faulty HVCH? Any thoughts are welcome because I don’t want keep going backwards and forwards to the dealership for repairs.

Regards

Michael
mickeyg68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2024, 18:15   #16
giftgrub100
giftgrub100

Is additional heater turned on in climate settings did not think that 2021 cars had a HVCH fitted, unless it was a very late 2021 model built in late Nov/ Early December.
giftgrub100 is offline   Reply With Quote