Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Trailer towing B and B+E licence rules explained

Views : 5790

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2012, 15:45   #31
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillberry View Post
The combined weight part is of interest as currently our licences say we can have a train weight of 8250kg and although that is highley unlikely there are times when we are towing a trailer with a car on that means the outfit will have a combined weight of between 4000kg and 6000kg and it was this area that was our main concern .
yes i understand your concern but that is my take on it. if i have missread i do appologise but it states that if your trailer weighs more than 3500 kg then you will need to do the additional test unless you have the class 1 .
mike
Old May 20th, 2012, 15:46   #32
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillberry View Post
We have looked at some older caravans that are rather heavy so we could actually show these but that would be pedantic and your point is taken on board for that .
yes i have left myself open on that one.
mike
Old May 20th, 2012, 15:49   #33
gillberry
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
yes i understand your concern but that is my take on it. if i have missread i do appologise but it states that if your trailer weighs more than 3500 kg then you will need to do the additional test unless you have the class 1 .
mike
Highly unlikely that the combined weight of car and trailer will be over 3500kg but in the past with spares thrown in said cars then we must have been pretty close .

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gillberry For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2012, 16:03   #34
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
you will not have to take another test unless you trailer weighs above 3500kg not the combined weight the rest stays the same.
mike
Not quite accurate Mike,

If a new driver wants to use a Landrover Discovery to pull a modest horse trailer for 1 or 2 horses then straight away this will be over a combined weight of 3,500kg thus needing a full B+E license.

If a new driver wished to use a heavy vehicle (4x4) to pull a vehicle trailer with another 4x4 on it then this would almost definitely put the rear trailer over the the 3,500kg (trailer alone) thus it would require a C1+E license.

There are a lot of caravans out there that weigh 1500 to 2000kg this would then cause any modest car big enought to even pull that caravan in the first place to be heavy too. This combined figure causes the need for a B+E license and in most cases will even push it above and into needing C1+E too.

In fact most heavy 4x4 vehicles with just the 'Light' 750kg trailer will border on the need for B+E and not just a simple B license.

Last edited by SonyVaio; May 20th, 2012 at 16:10.
SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 16:07   #35
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

yes you are quiet correct. my response was to Gillbery question if he had to take another test.

I think it is a great idea for new drivers to take a test on towing but for those of us who have towed for years retaking a test is never easy .

mike
Old May 20th, 2012, 16:22   #36
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

very interesting i have class 1, next year i can either have a medical or not and let it expire.
my car and van will weigh a combined weight of 3700 kg plated.
so what that is saying is i keep the B+e but will have to take this other test because the combined weight is over 3500 kg.
mike
Old May 20th, 2012, 16:43   #37
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
very interesting i have class 1, next year i can either have a medical or not and let it expire.
my car and van will weigh a combined weight of 3700 kg plated.
so what that is saying is i keep the B+e but will have to take this other test because the combined weight is over 3500 kg.
mike
Mmm. Think I'd go the medical route and keep the C+E if it were me. Never know when you're going to need it.

I've got full C+E and D+E but unfortunately my ADR has now lapsed (long ago). It does seem a strange position to find yourself in where, if you do let your C+E lapse then you may need another test just be be able to pull a heavy trailer with your car. One that is 10 steps down from a C+E.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2012, 16:50   #38
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

my sentiments exactly
Old May 20th, 2012, 17:39   #39
volvorocks
Rodney

I have a licence that covers me for everything apart from an HGV and the 3500kg combined rule has never been an issue as it doesn’t apply to me as I passed my test long long before 97..so I am in the 8250kg category and have generally driven anything that my licence permits.

Not things I do regularly but I have towed a Land Rover Freelander on a trailer with a Land Rover Discovery so that would be a combined weight of over 5000 kg. All ok on the licence front. Have also towed a caravan with a Discovery ,combined weight around 4000kg , so all ok again on the licence front.

So, as from January 2013 is it ok to say tow a boat weighing 1800kg with a car weighing 2000kg making a combined weight of 3800kg on my age old licence B+E? I assume it would.

Would I have to take a test if I ever happened to be towing a Discovery on a trailer with a Defender if the weight of what I was towing exceeded 3500kg? Not that this will probably ever be an issue for me, as its unlikely to happen, but what about you guys that tow ‘an over 3500kg weight’ as part of your business and have done so for 30 years without having had the need to take a test?

Cheers
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 17:43   #40
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

Have a look at your license, I have the older grandad rights, upto 7500 vehicle. My license clearly shows categories B, BE, C1, C1E, D1, and D1E so therefore I am already covered. It was the later licenses which didn't get C1, D1, C1E, and D1E entitlements.

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
cumbrianmale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cumbrianmale For This Useful Post: