Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Handbrake disaster

Views : 62441

Replies : 210

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 12:23   #181
docmel

Default Handbrake Disaster

I am one of the 'unlucky' ones!

Driving over speed bumps heard an almighty clunk followed by terrible grinding noise - immediately stopped car and not seeing anything obvious called AA.

The guy that turned up knew straightaway what it was - he attends several similar calls a year - always a big Volvo (mine is a 2003 V70 118k)

He took apart the wheel assembly and all the bits fell out - obviously now illegal with no handbrake but ok to get home as it is an auto so holds in 'park'

Took it to my local mechanic who said he had one in two weeks ago - same problem and using genuine Volvo parts the repair would be over £1000. Already described here but the main culprit is the rear hub carrier - nearly £500 new from Volvo + other bits and labour - he advised looking on the 'net for a second hand one

This car is my second V70 (sadly wrote off the first which was a superb car and prompted me to buy exactly the same again) - however the current car is not a patch on the first and looking at another hefty bill to try and get the transmission 'lurching' problem solved (hopefully a transmission oil change will sort that)

HOWEVER - the point of this story is that I went onto t'internet and located a hub carrier + some bits for £80 - from PRESTON VOLVO CENTRE - he came back within miniseries following my search inquiry saying he had a part - I called and before I said anything he guessed it was because the rear handbrake shoes had shattered and ruined the rear hub assembly!! We both had a laugh about it - done the deal and the bits will be here in 48 hrs. He has had differing reports on this Forum but I would just like to add that he and his staff were more than helpful

my mechanic is still insisting on some genuine new Volvo parts like shoes and cable as he said the non Volvo stuff can be a bugger to fit and the labour charges could get silly....but still a £250 - £300 bill is better than £1k.

Now just need to get the tranny oil fixed and x fingers for a few miles more
docmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 11:23   #182
VICV70AWD
VICXC70

Had a similar catastrophic experience on my 2003 V70XC AWD at 56k. The OSR brake linings detached from the shoes and destroyed the hub back plate and broke off the cast alloy anchor pillar for the shoe mechanism. This seems to happen so often to other forum members that I have asked Volvo HQ if this is a design fault and if there are any liability issues. The car has always been serviced at Volvo Main dealer and everything on the car is OEM. All the more disappointing as the car was only serviced 1000 miles ago and MOT in Oct 2012. The rear discs and pads were replaced at 54000 but the handbrake linings look originals from 2003. My shopping list is now: Ouch!
• OSR stub axel / control arm / hub carrier.
• OSR back plate
• OSR Disc (as it is badly scored internally)
• Handbrake shoes OSR and NSR (unlikely I’ll fit Volvo handbrake linings so might go for Mintex – anybody advise me which is best shoe out there?)
• Handbrake cable
• 2 x fit kits
Anybody had any luck with Volvo on this problem?
Other than that I think the V70XC AWD is the most versatile vehicle I have ever owned.
Regards Vic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-01-25 15.15.38.jpg (97.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-01-25 14.59.55.jpg (96.4 KB, 31 views)
VICV70AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 13:22   #183
Brendan W
Premier Member

What are the chances of a close up pic of the decapitated backplate retaining screw and or the head of same. A number of wrecked hubs feature this missing head but more interestingly a number of owners have opened up for routine inspection and found a loose screw head. Chicken and egg.
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=166322
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2013, 08:59   #184
fgx318

Hi there,
One more broken alloy support here in brittany. Occured yesterday, I heard a "klonk" sound a few miles before. I parked the car to visit a friend (luckily for me he runs a bodyshop). A couple of hour later, I went off then heard a light grinding sound from the right rear wheel then apply handbrake very lightly to see if the sound was related to the brake and that's precisely when the **** hit the fan ! Here are the consequences for moving the car 30 yards.
Aside from the brake shoes, springs and cable, I'll go with second hand hub carrier.
I've spotted a "problem solver" part on skandix.de, it's a metal part that is screwed in lieu of the weak alloy support, may worth having one done by a friend, or a friend of a friend....
Drawback is, as mentionned by Clan, that the alloy support is acting as a fuse and avoid the wheel to lock as everything in there would turn and grind like in a tumbler destroying everything.

fgx318 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fgx318 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 23:43   #185
cralst

I came across this thread by accident this morning. My handbreak has been next to useless for months and the shoes are a job I've been meaning to do for a while. After reading this thread though, I went straight to my local parts shop and have this afternoon got the job done. It's £20 better spent now than hundreds later when they fall apart. Thank you for this thread and potentially saving me money.
cralst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 09:23   #186
RM955I
Premier Member

So where do we current stands on this? Has the quality of the Volvo brake shoes been improved or the design altered to prevent this or is it still a game of chance?

Is it a question of regular inspection and if so at what time/mileage intervals?
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 09:46   #187
Brendan W
Premier Member

I don't think the quality of the shoes is the issue - I have replaced mine with QH in any case but don't expect them to fare much better in the long run. For me the shoes do not bed in properly because it's not a service brake and owners tend to haul on the handbrake lever to compensate for that slipping feeling which may partly be rollback. Excessive pressure on the shoe bends it across the high point of drum contact and after time the liner starts to let go.
I think inspection is warranted every two years and replacement every four or at pad time and a good regime of bedding in/ cleaning by applying it for a hundred metres or so every so often.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 10:41   #188
Phil in england
Phil in england

Default Handbrake mechanism failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Yes i would say to prevent the rear wheel locking in such an event , Thats what happens in practice , the hub breaks to take the shock then the shoes etc rotate and keep the wheel rolling with friction until the car stops .
Had this happen to me 6 weeks ago. I have a V70 D5 Auto and have got into the habit in the last few years not to use my handbrake but to put in Park unless I'm on an incline. Idea was to save handbrake cable and mechanism wear. Periodically, I applied the handbrake when moving slightly, just to clean up the inside of the drum and friction lining. There was always a slight clunk when the shoes re-seated. I must have left the handbrake unused for a couple of months recently so I pulled on it while moving forward and there was a loud clunk, then lots of horrible crunching and grinding and then everything went quiet. The only difference was the handbrake didn't work. It played on my mind for about a week and decided because MOT was coming up shortly to pop it in the garage and have the handbrake checked out. When the drum was taken off, similar result, the alloy anchor had sheared off and then the handbrake shoes and mechanism and been wound round the hub. Messy. New rear plate is a complete assembly but luckily, the garage got one from a breaker for £70. All done, it came to around £280 but it's taught me to use the handbrake from time to time, have the shoes replaced way before they are worn right back (hence no clunk and shock to the anchor point) and basically not use the handbrake when moving (not that I do handbrake turns with my V70, well apart from a few times in the snow!). Same question - as to why the **ck they make the anchor out of alloy is a mystery. Weight saving is insignificant, therefore the only other saving can be on manufacturing cost. An expensive experience.
Phil in england is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 10:53   #189
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil in england View Post
I must have left the handbrake unused for a couple of months recently so I pulled on it while moving forward and there was a loud clunk, then lots of horrible crunching and grinding and then everything went quiet. The only difference was the handbrake didn't work. It played on my mind for about a week and decided because MOT was coming up shortly to pop it in the garage and have the handbrake checked out.
Personally, if I'd heard a loud noise from the handbrake and then it failed, I wouldn't have waited a week to get it looked at...
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 17:17   #190
RM955I
Premier Member

So the previous thoughts on gently pulling on the handbrake occasionally when pulling up at traffic lights/junctions (to 'clean' the shoes and drums) would appear to be a potential recipe for disaster?

Only asking as it is something I had taken to doing occasionally but it looks like I should stop immediately....I had wondered TBH.