Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

haggling on used Volvo XC90

Views : 1684

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2017, 10:56   #1
supermags

Default haggling on used Volvo XC90

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a used XC90 T8 from a volvo dealer... Any experience in what type of discounts you can negotiate on used cars from dealers? I'm thinking i need at least 5% off the advertised price for it to be interesting - is this achievable in anyones experience?
supermags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2017, 11:15   #2
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

there's always a margin. You have to be prepared to walk away. Do your research on values first. Remember, they are more expert in negotiation (and may not be that bothered anyway).
Old Oct 5th, 2017, 11:41   #3
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Always start at twice as much as you want to achieve

That way you can both move towards a middle point which is your (secret) goal

So if you want to get 10% discount, offer to buy for cash if he gives you 20% off
Then you play counter offer vs counter offer until you reach a mutually agreeable price.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2017, 12:54   #4
Whippy
Premier Member

But be realistic.
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2017, 13:20   #5
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

Think this depends on how the vehicle is priced in the first place. i.e. if it is already the cheapest one in the country with similar spec then don't be expecting another 5% off.

Dealers will monitor their prices daily to ensure they are competitive... but also a lot don't, so may not have a clue if their vehicle is priced competitively in the first place.

Basically... we need a bit more context...

Main Dealer Based in Northampton
mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2017, 13:42   #6
supermags

Autotrader valuation of the car (using the reg number) is 48,000 for a private guide price and 51,500-56,500 for a dealer guide price.

The car has 3-4000 of options on it above the standard trim. It’s a 2016 t8 with 20-30k miles on the clock.

What do you think an appropriate price would be?
Old Oct 5th, 2017, 14:05   #7
Bernard F

You have already told us an appropriate price, i.e. 5% less than the advertised price. Have you offered this.
Bernard F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2017, 16:03   #8
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

Why so coy?.... can you not just put the link for the vehicle on here so we can see exactly what you're looking at... we can then compare it against other similar vehicles and give an opinion on if the vehicle is priced well/overpriced (Feel free to PM me this if you want...?)

As I said above, if the dealer has the vehicle well priced I don't understand the need to offer 5% less than its up for, and if the dealer has any sense they wouldn't entertain it either, unless you are suggesting this as a starting point to "low ball" them?

Need more information to be able to offer any advice of any value.

I'm happy to check out full specifications/service history/recalls out for you too if required?

Main Dealer Based in Northampton
mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk

Last edited by MtillingVolvo; Oct 5th, 2017 at 16:07.
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2017, 16:43   #9
supermags

Happy to! Appreciate any views!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...01709199448085

Also I can see how this looks like a great price comparing to RRP, but I’ve got a firm offer also for a brand new MY2018 T8 down 8-9% from RRP (inscription, price around 61k) so compared to that proposition, paying 55k for a MY2016 with 26k miles seems rich to me!

Last edited by supermags; Oct 5th, 2017 at 16:57.
Old Oct 5th, 2017, 20:48   #10
Fimac

Hi
I only managed a 4 % discount from a franchised dealer yesterday, as the car had only just come into them. Xc60.
I have had more success with discounts at the end of the month, when the sales teams are trying to finish the month off well.

I even tried the throw in a roof rack angle , less cost to them. They would not have it.

I did get some extras like new tyres, and new pads......

Just try!
Fimac is offline   Reply With Quote