Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo genuine wishbones not available

Views : 2641

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2022, 16:58   #11
VroomVroomClonk

Thank you. So, you broke a 2 tonne press, do you think that could possibly have been just bad luck, or a faulty press?

I've found this link - where they seem to be saying that powerflex front bushes can be fitted using a vice. Now i've no idea what force a vice like that can provide, but I doubt it's as much as 2 tonnes.

That link also seems to suggest that using a poly bush for the front is a good idea, but that the poly material can't survive the amount of flexing required for the rear wishbone bush and that one needs to be kept as rubber. How well are people's rear poly wishbone bushes surviving please?
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 17:18   #12
VroomVroomClonk

Ah, no, I think I misinterpreted the photos in my earlier link.
I think the reason they had it so easy to press the new polybush in is that they only changed the poly bit of it, they kept the original outer steel shell in place and reused the original metal centre bar as well. Is that a possibility with the powerflex bushes that are currently available? If leaving the original steel outer shell in place is OK, then that must surely make the whole process doable in a large vice?
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 17:54   #13
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

no because the originals are encased in a straight tube, whereas the powerflex poly insert is held in with a lip at one end (other poly's may be different?)

admittedly once fitted, most of the force isn't being applied in that axis of movement so it shouldn't need a lot to hold it but I personally wouldnt want to risk it, I would definitely persevere with using the correct casing

I broke my press by using a piece of pipe to extend the leverage on the arm (it was just a geared type not hydraulic) so the blame was entirely mine

that said though as stated the press WAS sufficient to get the 1st bush in it was was the 2nd one (other wishbone) that I was struggling with. just variations in manufacturing tolerances I suppose

the ones they are talking about the vice is the other bush. the round one that is supplied without a metal casing, it's a doddle to get in

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 18:00   #14
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

the ones in the pictures on that link look to be a slightly different design to the ones I bought way more recently than that, they may have changed the range. for a start I didn't have to reuse the centre spindle the new came fully built, also the rear bush looks a little different in style

I've not heard anything about the rear ones being weaker? but if i had to change it it wouldn't be expensive or very time consuming, having had them on and off a few times now you get the knack of doing it quick lol

like I say, 1 year down the line mine are good, I'm hoping that stays the same for a good 3 or 4 more years by which time I'll probably be looking at other cars anyway

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 18:34   #15
100K+
Premier Member

Just watched a USA utube vid claiming a No8 (chinese ver. ) vice can generate approx 2 tonne force, so should be enough for what u need if things are correctly alined.
Also IIRC a guy on here years ago did this job with a home made press setup made from hardwood and threaded bar. Not seen him on here for ages, but I'm sure there were pictures, hence my dim memory.

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 19:25   #16
john493
Spannering since birth

Anyone here tried these relatively cheap poly bushes from Parts Monster ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284830175317
(GS Addict)
john493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 19:56   #17
myfirstv70

Default Maybe try this.....

If the bush fitting is a problem then:
1) Deburr the bush and hole in the aluminium arm. Carefully find the burrs with your finger.
2) Put the bushes in the freezer.
3) Gently heat the arms with a hot air gun/ oven etc
4) Cross fingers and toes, assemble quickly making sure the bush is square when going in.

The coefficient of linear expansion for the aluminium is circa 50% greater than the steel casing on the bush so your best bet is to heat the arm.

Hope this helps!
Nobby
myfirstv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to myfirstv70 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 22:03   #18
Kevin_L

Lemforder
Kevin_L is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin_L For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 03:34   #19
lynns hubby
Master Member

I recently got a pair of wishbones from fleabay. There is a lot of rubbish on there but I managed a pair of SKF ones for £85 a side which are a reputable make. As someone else on here said Lemforder are a good make also. Just avoid the Chinese sellers.
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lynns hubby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 08:53   #20
VroomVroomClonk

My Powerflex bushes and scaffolding joiner have arrived, now just waiting for a large ratchet strap to use in the SiRobb wishbone fitting method.