Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2011 speakers system

Views : 2142

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 00:18   #11
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

The other phase 2 cars (S60, V70, etc) didn't use Dynaudio for their "Premium" systems, and they still worked very nicely. I fully agree with the comments about Dynaudio (just look up the list price for the aftermarket version of the 3-way components in the original (1997) C70 system if in doubt...!), but Harman/Kardon are no slouches either. Remember, some manufacturer partner with Bose...! I'd take a listen before getting too upset.

On the other hand, Harman Group's business practices in the pro audio sector? Don't get me started...

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 13:51   #12
Rawas
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
The other phase 2 cars (S60, V70, etc) didn't use Dynaudio for their "Premium" systems, and they still worked very nicely. I fully agree with the comments about Dynaudio (just look up the list price for the aftermarket version of the 3-way components in the original (1997) C70 system if in doubt...!), but Harman/Kardon are no slouches either. Remember, some manufacturer partner with Bose...! I'd take a listen before getting too upset.

On the other hand, Harman Group's business practices in the pro audio sector? Don't get me started...

cheers

James
Hi James,
I am sorry to tell you that neither Harman/Kardon nor Bose are considered
High-end audio in the Audiophile society. Dynaudio, Bowers & Wilkins are.
Don't get me started either...
Rawas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 14:42   #13
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear. I'm fully aware that Harman/Kardon are not exactly "high end", but my point was that it's not junk either. I'd take a listen before passing judgement. They might have pulled something special out of the bag. Bose on the other hand I have almost no time for. My point there was that some "premium" car manufacturers partner with them...so we should feel relative fortunate to have 'only' sunk as far as H/K.

You don't need to lecture me on audiophile kit. I have a pair of these in my lounge...

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 08:32   #14
JimG
Premier Member

No highs, no lows, it must be a Bose.

www.alignmycar.co.uk
www.rearfacing.co.uk
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 10:02   #15
CSS-Enterprise

I agree...the premium sound system in MY11 XC90 is very average.

I had a V70 hire car a few years back with premium sound which was glorious....and on that basis I chose the premium sound for my XC90. I like all aspects of the car but the "premium sound" is disappointing.

The dynaudio system was substituted for the current PS system around the time I ordered. What a pity!
CSS-Enterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 10:18   #16
Rawas
Master Member

Hi James,
I see you have a nice pair of Monitor Audio. I beleive those are full range Studio 20 if I am not mistaken? what are they connected at? I mean electronics? How is the sound quality?
I am sorry I did not mean to lecture you or anything close, but the problem with audio is that if you listen to the best you can not settle for less. It seems that if we keep on posting like this we will eventually turn this forum to an audio forum, nothing wrong with that.
Thanks
Rawas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 03:57   #17
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Sorry about the slow reply - I was away, and must confess I forgot a little about this thread.

Exactly right - they're Studio 20s. Most were badged "SE", but those (and mine) are SEC models (C for Celebration - right at the end of production). The C versions have the round HF unit housings. I also have a matching centre speaker tucked away for a rainy day. I didn't know they ever made them, and the factory seemed to think only a couple of dozen were made.

Electronics wise...not too exciting, I'm afraid. I have a Manticore Mantra turntable (the poor man's LP12, or so it was named when new), a Marantz CD-63SE mk2 KI-Sig CD player, and a Pioneer A400 integrated amp. My budget was very, very limited for most of it, with the speakers being my one indulgence. All were bought second-hand at very keen prices. I'm aware it's not great stuff. I would have nicer kit if I had the money to spare, but I don't listen to it all that much, so it's hard to justify dropping hundreds (or thousands) of pounds on better electronics.

Having said that, there is a degree of logic in the allocation of budget. I firmly believe that loudspeakers have the greatest impact on audio quality (just look at the THD figures!), so I spent the most money there. I'm by no means denying that better electronics would be an improvement, of course...but I had to prioritise.

Leaving off-the-shelf products aside for a moment, I think that acoustic treatment of the listening room would have the greatest impact of all. I once listened to a pair of £150 bookshelf speakers in a treated room, and the (subjectively) results were stunning compared with prior experiences of even quite expensive speakers in the average living room. I think that's an aspect that the industry press barely touch upon, and it's arguably the greatest variable of them all.

...which leads us neatly back to cars. The acoustics of the average car interior lend themselves to better quality of reproduction than the average living room...until you start the engine and start moving, of course!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164