Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fitting Generic Parts?

Views : 712

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 10th, 2022, 18:23   #1
SvenAgain
Old Member

Default Fitting Generic Parts?

I've booked my 2017 Volvo XC60 in for new discs and pads. The garage has a good reputation and was also the lowest priced quote for the work. I am now worried that the parts (which must be generic at the price) may not be up to the job.

Am I putting myself and my family in any danger by not specifying what parts to fit?

And if so, what make of discs and pads at a reasonable price would you recommend?

Cheers,

Sven
SvenAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 19:51   #2
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenAgain View Post
I've booked my 2017 Volvo XC60 in for new discs and pads. The garage has a good reputation and was also the lowest priced quote for the work. I am now worried that the parts (which must be generic at the price) may not be up to the job.

Am I putting myself and my family in any danger by not specifying what parts to fit?

And if so, what make of discs and pads at a reasonable price would you recommend?

Cheers,

Sven
As someone who only ever uses genuine Volvo myself (120,000 miles later no break downs and £140.00 of repairs) I would always go genuine.

That said. I am not sure that you are putting your family at any risk at all using pattern parts.

What you do need to remember however is that Volvo are often, very often as cheap as independents, you also get European brakedown as standard with the Volvo service (£180.00 worth) and more to the point if your engine lets go etc then you have an excellent chance of Volvo covering the cost if you have a full Volvo history and that may save you £10,000.

To answer your question I wouldn’t be concerned to drive your vehicle with my family in it with pattern parts, you don’t really get the life of Volvo stuff but it’s not dangerous.

Anything from ATE, Brembo, Pagid, Icer will be good quality. Bosch etc.

Perhaps ask them what brakes they will use and ask here.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 21:30   #3
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

I'd agree with XC90.
Looking at it if non manufacturer parts were 'dangerous' given the number of businesses selling them there would be carnage on the roads if they didn't work, they will be made to meet or exceed the minimum requirements and probably be better than that, they may not give you the 110% you'd get from Volvo but they should be safe (assuming your garage aren't absolute cowboys). Also worth remembering that car manufacturers don't actually make a lot of components themselves, as I recall when I changed the rear calipers on mine they had Ate moulded into the castings.
But as XC90 says it may be worth a quick enquiry with Volvo either your local dealer or the likes of FRF in the Traders section here as for some parts they can be surprisingly cheap.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2022, 13:53   #4
Darlo 1
Lunatic.

I did the front discs and pads on my s60 d5 for less than £60, got the parts off ebay, no issues at all, not even a random squeal.
S60 D5 2004.
I vape therefore I am.
Darlo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2022, 14:18   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

It's been said but no...

You might find the pads don't have as good "feel" or are very on/off but it's safe to assume they wont be dangerous in any way.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 19:15   #6
StanC
'Mature' Member

Many years ago Volvo ran a series of advertisements for their genuine parts, using a strap line something like 'if you don't use genuine Volvo parts your car will (eventually) cease to be a Volvo'. This, of course, is strictly true but if replacement parts are high quality does it matter?

Stan.
StanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 20:49   #7
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Ask the garage what they intend to fit ? Some will give you a choice.

I took a previous Audi in and when they offered Brembo, I said I preferred Pagid from previous experience. They said they could either source or fit what I provided.
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 09:29   #8
concrete

I used to own a shogun and it needed a cam belt. My mate said he usually used Gates belts, but in this instance he’d fit a genuine belt, just in case it should snap, I’d have some comeback with Mitsubishi. The belt was twenty quid dearer and when it arrived the the Gates stamp and Mitsubishi stamps were side by side on the belt.
concrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 17:20   #9
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

I'm getting very cynical about garages and their fitters (do any have mechanics these days?). I think that there is a higher risk that they won't replace the disks than the components being faulty.

BTW brake disks are classed as cylinder cast by scrap yards. Phone your local one, you may be surprised by the price they offer on the old ones.
Offgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 19:14   #10
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Talking

The thing with this is if you buy Pagid brake parts or Mann filters you are buying the same parts the OEM bought to fit to their cars new without the individual branding,

Even the cheapo Eisher ones you can get from a certain motor factor are up to task having used them myself before,

Same applies with tyres, a lot of these unknown brand tyres they sell at 30% of the cost of a premium brand tyre last just as long, sometimes return more mpg, the one I won't touch which is no longer seen as a budget is the Nexen, great until it rains, on the flip I always liked a Barum and there are a few premium brands who make their own budgets under different names.

LingLong, inspiring isn't it
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote