Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Cardiff - is this reasonable behaviour

Views : 1978

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2021, 19:53   #1
TeamG
Master Member

Default Volvo Cardiff - is this reasonable behaviour

I believe that I’ve had a poor experience with Volvo Cardiff, but wanted to explore whether others think this is normal/fine or whether others consider the behaviour to be poor for a main dealer.

I have an XC60 subject to the seatbelt recall. I have not received a recall letter despite receiving one for the V70 I sold last summer (I’ve had my XC60 since May 2019, so not a recent change in owner).

I have called Volvo Cardiff a number of times to query this. Before December, they didn’t want to know. I called last week to push the issue and it took 6 calls over two days to get a booking:-

Call 1 not answered and rang out.
Call 2 answered, put through to service department and cut off after being put on hold.
Call 3 answered, put through to service department and rung off.
Call 4 put through to service department and rung off.
Call 5 put through to service department, after a minute of ringing receptionist picked it back up, said the service department was ‘in a part of the building I cannot see’, said she’d email them to call me back v shortly (this was 0930ish and they didn’t call back).
Call 6 the next day, eventually got through to discuss, they checked my reg no and said no recalls. I said this didn’t match the DVLA data saying I had an outstanding recall. They checked again and said seatbelt, no probs, can you come Monday at 1400hrs and we’ll do it in 20 mins and you can wait with it. I checked that the 20 mins was accurate as I had a meeting at 1500hrs and they said ‘easy, 20 mins no more’.

Turned up on the Monday. Wanted confirmation that it was def 20 mins as I had a meeting at 1500hrs. They said ‘20 to 30 mins’. I said ok, go ahead. They sat me in a socially distanced chair and said they would get me when it’s done.

30 mins later, receptionists behind service desk still gassing with each other and no news. I approached them and said ‘is it ready’. The one got all flustered and said ‘It’s just gone in and won’t be long’. I explained that I could see my car behind her through the window and it hadn’t moved, I couldn’t wait any longer and please could I have my key.

No apology, and surprised that I wanted to leave despite my explanation previously that I had a prior engagement.

Reasonable or unreasonable?
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TeamG For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 20:00   #2
js90
VOC Member

Honestly I wouldn't say it was either reasonable or unreasonable - merely 'expected'.

Doesn't matter what you say to a main dealer, they work at their own pace.
js90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to js90 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 20:03   #3
garethXC

That really sounds like poor service. I would be thinking of taking my buisness ( even for a FoC recall) elsewhere....
garethXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 20:20   #4
TeamG
Master Member

It’s disappointing to hear that this is ‘expected’ of main dealers. My expectation in life is absolute precision in timekeeping, following a career in the Royal Artillery where every man’s watch on the battlefield is set by the Artillery Officer’s watch. Anything less than 10 minutes early is considered late.

I have had an email response from the service manager who explained that they do ‘aim to complete the repair within the hour’.

I’ve responded to say that whatever the time is (20, 30 or 60 minutes), then that’s fine but when we do agree on a duration then I expect timeliness. I have asked if alternatively they would supply the parts for me to fit at my leisure.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 20:27   #5
Zebster
Upstanding Member

You're right to be disappointed. Don't ever go back.
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 20:29   #6
TeamG
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
You're right to be disappointed. Don't ever go back.
Do you know any Volvo UK dealers that do the recall by post?
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 20:32   #7
Cull06
Master Member

Frankly I agree with js90. It’s the level of incompetence I have come to expect.
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 20:58   #8
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cull06 View Post
Frankly I agree with js90. It’s the level of incompetence I have come to expect.
I think Volvo make great cars but you will only ever get ‘acceptable’ service (Barely) when you purchase a Jew or used vehicle.

After that expect shear incompetence. I think that goes for most premium brands however.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 21:02   #9
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamG View Post
Do you know any Volvo UK dealers that do the recall by post?
I'm not sure exactly what you mean? Similar to other recent recalls, I received a recall letter through the post, but it came from Volvo UK rather than a local dealer. I then arranged with my preferred dealer (Volvo Cars Shrewsbury) to have it done during an upcoming service. Didn't seem to take very long.
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 21:04   #10
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamG View Post
It’s disappointing to hear that this is ‘expected’ of main dealers. My expectation in life is absolute precision in timekeeping, following a career in the Royal Artillery where every man’s watch on the battlefield is set by the Artillery Officer’s watch. Anything less than 10 minutes early is considered late.

I have had an email response from the service manager who explained that they do ‘aim to complete the repair within the hour’.

I’ve responded to say that whatever the time is (20, 30 or 60 minutes), then that’s fine but when we do agree on a duration then I expect timeliness. I have asked if alternatively they would supply the parts for me to fit at my leisure.
I agree with you. That's appalling service but must say I have never received service like that at either of the two main dealers that I use. Everything has been spot on. Fair to say that they are not just treating you this way. I'm sure Volvo wouldn't be happy about it!
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote