Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake Caliper Brand

Views : 405

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 26th, 2024, 14:33   #1
MWMan
Master Member

Default Brake Caliper Brand

Hi all
I changed my front brake calipers a few years ago, and also changed the discs and pads. The Calipers were non branded, but the discs and pads were Pagid.

I had a good look around this last week and the pads and discs are still in really good shape. (I only put a few thousand miles a year on the V70). However looking at the calipers, the seals look very badly cracked. The pistons are still free, and it may still pass an MOT, but I would like to take the opportunity to put some new calipers on this summer.

This time, I want to put good quality ones on there, so they last a good while. I'm not that familiar with all of the brands, but some names stick out, when I look through the likes of AutoDoc - Brembo, ATE, Febi Bilston, Bosch, etc. Can anyone suggest a brand that they have used and the seals have lasted well.
Many thanks
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 15:53   #2
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Default Hi.

Why don`t you refurbish what you have ?
Seal kits are readily available.
Or , You could get hold of second-hand Volvo calipers and refurbish those ready to fit .
VOLVOBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 09:30   #3
MWMan
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOBOY View Post
Why don`t you refurbish what you have ?
Seal kits are readily available.
Or , You could get hold of second-hand Volvo calipers and refurbish those ready to fit .
This is a good point. I did however try to this with the original calipers. I bought a Big Redd caliper repair kit, but could not get the seals to fit onto the caliper. See this thread I posted at the time. https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=288568

Having just read the original post however, I realise this was 2016, so the calipers I fitted have lasted longer than I thought.
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 11:01   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWMan View Post
This is a good point. I did however try to this with the original calipers. I bought a Big Redd caliper repair kit, but could not get the seals to fit onto the caliper. See this thread I posted at the time. https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=288568

Having just read the original post however, I realise this was 2016, so the calipers I fitted have lasted longer than I thought.
Its highly unusual to have to refurbish a volvo caliper even going back 40 years and even on the cheapest 340. The 340 from 1988 in the family still has all it's original brakes and linings ( as well as everything else ) at 80,000 miles.
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 11:02   #5
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Interesting to read your old post .
I`m surprised that you had so much trouble with the tightness of the fit .
i`ve used Big-Red stuff myself and not had too much trouble .
The trick with the outer dust seal is to fit it dry . Clean the rim where it sits to bright metal and trial fit the dust gaiter with the piston out . It should just pop over the lip after working it on around the diameter . Sometimes they wont stay on and pop back off so what i do is...
Fit the hydraulic seal to the piston.
Fit the gaiter to the piston.
Lube the hydraulic seal and insert the piston into the bore.
Put four small drops of super-glue evenly around the lip.
Work the gaiter over the lip and hold until the glue cures.

I agree that parts are not the quality that they once were.
Maybe try a different supplier or , if you are really lucky, you may get hold of some Volvo calipers where the the original gaiters can be re-used .
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 11:09   #6
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

I`ve found V40 rear calipers which were so rotten on the outside that they needed replacing . I`ve also found V70 front calipers where the piston was stuck due to corrosion and was badly pitted .
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 12:04   #7
MWMan
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Its highly unusual to have to refurbish a volvo caliper even going back 40 years and even on the cheapest 340. The 340 from 1988 in the family still has all it's original brakes and linings ( as well as everything else ) at 80,000 miles.
As I recall, the only reason I wanted to change the calipers, was the state of the outer seals. The caliper and piston were OK.

Quote:
Interesting to read your old post .
I`m surprised that you had so much trouble with the tightness of the fit .
i`ve used Big-Red stuff myself and not had too much trouble .
The trick with the outer dust seal is to fit it dry . Clean the rim where it sits to bright metal and trial fit the dust gaiter with the piston out . It should just pop over the lip after working it on around the diameter . Sometimes they wont stay on and pop back off so what i do is...
Fit the hydraulic seal to the piston.
Fit the gaiter to the piston.
Lube the hydraulic seal and insert the piston into the bore.
Put four small drops of super-glue evenly around the lip.
Work the gaiter over the lip and hold until the glue cures.

I agree that parts are not the quality that they once were.
Maybe try a different supplier or , if you are really lucky, you may get hold of some Volvo calipers where the the original gaiters can be re-used .
It's some time ago now, and my old memory isn't what it used to be, but as I recall, I spent quite a bit of time playing around with these to get the seals on. In the end I gave up and fitted new calipers. Its probably my skill set not being good enough. With the current ones I have fitted, as they are not Volvo original, I think I would prefer just to buy a quality set of aftermarket ones and fit those. Hopefully, they will outlast me!
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 12:32   #8
JohnHenley

I had exactly the same problem as @MWMan fitting the outer seal. The caliper manufacturer, ATE I think, have a special tool to press the outer seal into place for a large sum of money.

In the end I bought some rebuilt calipers and fitted them.

Chance would have it, I came across this on ebay the other day, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335300826861?_ul=GB

Hope it helps someone.

Last edited by JohnHenley; Apr 27th, 2024 at 12:36.
JohnHenley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnHenley For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 13:38   #9
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

OK . I understand ...
If you want quality or near to OE then i would suggest ATE / TEVES or TRW .
Did you replace the front caliper hoses last time round ?
If not , then i strongly suggest you do as they have a habit of degrading on the inside .
The Following User Says Thank You to VOLVOBOY For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 05:06   #10
MWMan
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHenley View Post
I had exactly the same problem as @MWMan fitting the outer seal. The caliper manufacturer, ATE I think, have a special tool to press the outer seal into place for a large sum of money.

In the end I bought some rebuilt calipers and fitted them.

Chance would have it, I came across this on ebay the other day, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335300826861?_ul=GB

Hope it helps someone.
This looks like the tool I could have used the Big Redd kit !!!!!!!

Quote:
OK . I understand ...
If you want quality or near to OE then i would suggest ATE / TEVES or TRW .
Did you replace the front caliper hoses last time round ?
If not , then i strongly suggest you do as they have a habit of degrading on the inside .
I was leaning towards ATE, so thanks for that. I hadn't thought about the caliper hoses, but after 20 years, I'm sure changing them would be a good idea. Thankyou.