Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

US 'Cash for Clunkers' Scheme = Automotive Genocide

Views : 2799

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2009, 18:23   #11
AcidicDavey
Younger Member

that is plain murder!! and genuinely difficult for me to watch, looked like a perfectly good motor to me but hey it could of had 'box trouble or anything.
AcidicDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 18:30   #12
LankyTim
Missing the point

Clearly that Volvo is NOT the kind of vehicle the "cash for clunkers" scheme is aimed at. Its a victim of a well intentioned but poorly thought out dogs brakfast, similar to what were having to deal with over here.

No doubt it will be picked clean of every usable spare to keep other volvos on the road rather than just crushed.
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 18:31   #13
James A
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidicDavey View Post
that is plain murder!! and genuinely difficult for me to watch, looked like a perfectly good motor to me but hey it could of had 'box trouble or anything.
I almost stopped watching it half way through, but forced myself to carry on in the interests of stupidity research
2014-Date: 1992 940SE Turbo automatic estate 'Wentworth' - The Wentworth
James A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 18:33   #14
willv70

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A View Post
I agree with you, Will. The air is notably cleaner, especially in London, than it was in 1989.

I can't help thinking that much of the 'green' stuff is simply a WorldGov ruse to keep the populace in fear and to raise taxes.

We know it dont we!!! I cant help thinking about the victorian industrial era or infact the uk's industry up untill the late 60's. Everything had made in Great Britian on it .The skies were black and we even had SMOG !!.Look at lowery's paintings of you want to see polluted skies!!!! yes we still had the cold winters and hot summers ,,,I remember the summer of 76,,i was working for bricklayers, we started at 5 in the morning and finished at 11 because of the heat...Then in the winter if you hung a pair of jeans out to dry they would be stiff from frost......

I think in 100s of years time in schools that will be teaching kids of the biggest tax con in history, where governments made the public accept the blame for mother nature doing what it does every few 1000 years and heavily taxing them for it.....Just like i learnt about people being taxed for having the luxury of windows in their homes..

I like to point out to people that the great deserts of the middle east were once great lakes,as were where the pyramids were built, by a nation that didnt even have proper wheels let alone 4.2 V6's..........................
willv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 09:57   #15
keithyboy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willv70 View Post
The Uk scrappage scheme is a load of B******s. Most people driving a 10yo car or older cant afford to buy the cheapest new car at the best of economic times!!
Apparently, most private buyers who buy new cars often have stuff to trade that's quite old. I guess there must be an element who buy new but intend to get their money's worth out of it. for those though, the scheme makes no difference.

My blog
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
LOOK AT MY RUBBISH BLOG
keithyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 10:07   #16
Grendel

Personally I thing schemes like this are so ungreen that it is ridiculous, far better to keep an older good vehicle on the road than boost the economy by pumping out more new vehicles. its ungreen also because here in the uk they are crushing them, so the availability of used spares to keep similar vehicles on the road for a few more years is reduced. On priciple I never buy a new vehicle - I have settled on Volvos as a great long lasting car that is a pleasure to drive.
Grendel
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 10:18   #17
IC
S60R/V70R

Edited Post

VOC Speed Challenge Champion 2007/08/Joint Winner 2009
Motor Sport Challenge Winner 2008/Joint Winner 2009

<font size=2><font color=RoyalBlue>
</font></font>

Last edited by IC; Aug 2nd, 2009 at 10:27. Reason: Changed post
IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 10:43   #18
Tibbsey23
NineForty Nuts!

That is a horrible video!

I cant believe though that they would sanction this as a way of removing cars from the road... I mean running cars flat out for 4 mins and then having it spew its fluids directly onto the floor - environmentally surely there isn't a worse way to do it? And why? Anyone who has taken a car to a scrap yard will know that when the grab comes along the car is no longer drivable! Surely they need independent verification that they have done this to the engine, so why not verify instead that the shell isn't straight?

Is it because the government knows that kids at junk yards will get a thrill out of killing luxury cars? Is it because the junk yards know that a complete car with wrecked engine in a "pick n pull" is worth more than a wrecked car with a good engine? I just don't see the point!

Although I do take everything Greenpeace say with a pinch of salt I do agree on this one, its likely that richer families will still replace their cars like they always did, poorer families who have had to scrimp and save to grab this farce of a "deal of a lifetime" wont buy another - it might help the industry now, but its not really a long term strategy. It will however cull a lot of old cars which on paper in terms of like for like CO2 looks good - and if I swapped my 940 for a similarly speced model that was 10 years newer I would be giving the government an extra £250-300 a year tax too.

And hey, if the new car is produced in Korea and I'm driving it here and putting out less CO2 then in terms of CO2 England wins right?! "The leaders of the G8 join together in condemning Korea for the environmental damage its car production causes..." I can see it now

Tibbsey - driving a 1996 Volvo 940 2.3 Turbo Estate and looking to keep it that way.

Distant Past: 1988 745 GL B200E
Past: 1993 945 S B200F
Present: 1996 945 CD B230FT
South West Volvo Group
Tibbsey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 10:58   #19
GTMaster

Totally useless destroying good cars....

Last edited by GTMaster; Aug 2nd, 2009 at 11:07.
GTMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 12:10   #20
Alpha206
S60 Reg Keeper (Retired)

That hurt...

As to this climate change b*ll**ks (IMHO) - the weathermen are saying temperatures will be higher etc etc in 50 years...yet they couldn't even get it right 3 months out...?

MY05 S60 2.0T SE...no more
MY16 V60 T6 Polestar
MY71 H.S.121-3B-101

http://www.savethetrident.co.uk/

Campaign to save G-ARPO, the last surviving Trident 1C
Alpha206 is offline   Reply With Quote