Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your 850/X70 today???

Views : 149611

Replies : 929

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 18th, 2021, 09:20   #671
Rich850R
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
Pics please! I'm also interested in how you wired the US indicators up? I know it generated some interest when you mentioned it initially
Hi mate, they came with the bulb holders, so as already said, simply plug and play!!!!
Rich850R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich850R For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 09:39   #672
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Finally got around to doing the fixing this -

Not too bad a job in the end. I fitted a Nissens one rather than Behr. It came with the foam and o-rings, and thankfully doesn't smell when you put the heat up to max like some replacement matrix apparently do

The original one had started to corrode in a few places, and condensation was appearing when I started the car in the morning - so the time had come.

RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2021, 00:34   #673
RaelG

Fixed the rear seat belts which weren’t pulling out
Cleaned the rubber floor mats up
Hoovered it
And the best bit…figured out what was making a horrendous noise at around 60+ and fixed it. It was the trim piece thingy that runs up the outside of the A pillar then all the way along the roof. The paint (or is it a plastic cover? I can’t tell) has come loose and was vibrating at speed so I stuffed some number plate stickers down there and hey presto it’s sorted. It did lead me to another issue though, the trim piece on the drivers side is not attached to the car at any point along the roof…does anyone know of this is fixable? Does it attach with clips or something?
Old Aug 22nd, 2021, 08:41   #674
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaelG View Post
It did lead me to another issue though, the trim piece on the drivers side is not attached to the car at any point along the roof…does anyone know of this is fixable? Does it attach with clips or something?
Yes, it attaches with spring steel clips. They're horrendously expensive from Volvo or PFV, so if you find a decent supply at a sensible price can you let me know? If you can only do this by buying a large quantity, I'd be happy to split the cost with you.... Cheers!

I ask because this trim had to come off when I had the windscreen changed a few years ago, and most of the clips on mine had rusted to nothing, so mine is hardly held on with anything at the moment, and i'd like to clip it down properly.
Old Aug 22nd, 2021, 09:35   #675
RaelG

I did notice the rusty corroded dying remnants of some metal but could not understand what they used to be but they must be the clips. Thanks Mr Luxobarge. I’ll keep an eye out and do some research but will let you know if I find some at a good price (or invent a solution!)
The Following User Says Thank You to RaelG For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2021, 23:19   #676
RaelG

Today (and yesterday and in fairness a lot of the day before) I used some Forever Black colour restorer stuff on the bumpers and side trims and I have to say I’m pretty happy with it overall. Some bits it’s just not stuck to, I have no idea what the previous owner did but I think he’d somehow started smoothing the bumpers or tried to treat it with something. Either way some bits have not gone black as well as others but overall good. Much better than the other stuff I used that was expensive and did not stick at all…can’t remember the name now but it’s liquid with some funky alphanumeric name of some sort.
Old Aug 25th, 2021, 09:56   #677
Rich850R
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaelG View Post
Today (and yesterday and in fairness a lot of the day before) I used some Forever Black colour restorer stuff on the bumpers and side trims and I have to say I’m pretty happy with it overall. Some bits it’s just not stuck to, I have no idea what the previous owner did but I think he’d somehow started smoothing the bumpers or tried to treat it with something. Either way some bits have not gone black as well as others but overall good. Much better than the other stuff I used that was expensive and did not stick at all…can’t remember the name now but it’s liquid with some funky alphanumeric name of some sort.
often find stripping the bumpers of any previous trim restorer etc works best before applying additional products, i got fed up of 1. heat gunning them every month as the sun dries the plastic out 2. fed up of applying every single different trim restorer known to man.

WURTH plastic dye is the best bet for these, not great to apply but mine has lasted 3 years, and it sits outside all year
Rich850R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2021, 09:59   #678
tactcom7

Changed the gearbox oil, not as easy as I thought without a jack/axle stands/ramps/funnel. A length of plastic hose and inverting the container like a hospital drip worked, eventually.
tactcom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2021, 00:08   #679
RaelG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich850R View Post
often find stripping the bumpers of any previous trim restorer etc works best before applying additional products, i got fed up of 1. heat gunning them every month as the sun dries the plastic out 2. fed up of applying every single different trim restorer known to man.

WURTH plastic dye is the best bet for these, not great to apply but mine has lasted 3 years, and it sits outside all year
I did use the supplied cleaner concentrate but evidently it wasn’t quite enough. Let’s see how long it lasts now but appreciate the info of another product. I did say to myself before I tried this most recent product that this would be the last I tried before just spray painting them either matt black or the colour of the car because like you, I’m bored of having to try different things!
Old Aug 27th, 2021, 09:45   #680
RaelG

Gave my car a little pat on the dashboard because he got a nice compliment while parked up at work
The Following User Says Thank You to RaelG For This Useful Post: