Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Manufacturers recommendation for water pump change?

Views : 674

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 16th, 2023, 09:21   #1
VolvoRob38

Default Manufacturers recommendation for water pump change?

Hi all,

Does anyone know When Volvo recommend changing the water pump on a Volvo C30 2009 1.6d?

Just wondering because I called my local volvo dealer to ask for a price for cambelt change and she said I'm looking at £1000! Lol. I've already had a price of £429, so this was just out of curiosity.
I know dealerships are always priced over the top, but when I said I assume that includes aux belt and water pump, she said not the water pump, it's not a requirement when changing the cambelt. But surely if at the location after stripping everything down it makes sense to do it at the time, and not waiting another year or two only to find the water pump fails and have to strip everything out again!?

Or am I missing something and volvo have some kind of super superior water pump fitted?

TIA
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 10:35   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoRob38 View Post
Hi all,

Does anyone know When Volvo recommend changing the water pump on a Volvo C30 2009 1.6d?

Just wondering because I called my local volvo dealer to ask for a price for cambelt change and she said I'm looking at £1000! Lol. I've already had a price of £429, so this was just out of curiosity.
I know dealerships are always priced over the top, but when I said I assume that includes aux belt and water pump, she said not the water pump, it's not a requirement when changing the cambelt. But surely if at the location after stripping everything down it makes sense to do it at the time, and not waiting another year or two only to find the water pump fails and have to strip everything out again!?

Or am I missing something and volvo have some kind of super superior water pump fitted?

TIA
The water pump on the Peugeot/Citroen 1.6D engine is nothing special , they can weep over time and leave a stain which will be noticed when the cambelt is changed. if no weep no change it will be ok until the next inspection. they wont mechanically fail unless seriously neglected over many miles and inspections,..

The VOLVO engine water pumps generally last forever.. they were first introduced on the 6 cylinder 960 in 1990 so have had plenty of testing!
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 18:46   #3
PNM

£1000 is a ****take, especially considering this volvo main dealer will do it for under £500 https://www.volvocarspoole.co.uk/off...elt-kit/114730
PNM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PNM For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2023, 11:06   #4
VolvoRob38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The water pump on the Peugeot/Citroen 1.6D engine is nothing special , they can weep over time and leave a stain which will be noticed when the cambelt is changed. if no weep no change it will be ok until the next inspection. they wont mechanically fail unless seriously neglected over many miles and inspections,..

The VOLVO engine water pumps generally last forever.. they were first introduced on the 6 cylinder 960 in 1990 so have had plenty of testing!
This is interesting, because one of the reasons I am getting this done is because my cambelt pully wheel is rusting, started off as a stain but looking quite bad now. I was wondering what might be causing this as everything in that general area looks sound. A weeping water pump would make sense. Although wouldn't I notice this elsewhere I.e. needing to top up water more regularly? Which I'm not needing to.

Do you know if the kits come with a new pully wheel, or are they extra?

TIA
Old Apr 17th, 2023, 15:00   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
This is interesting, because one of the reasons I am getting this done is because my cambelt pully wheel is rusting, started off as a stain but looking quite bad now. I was wondering what might be causing this as everything in that general area looks sound. A weeping water pump would make sense. Although wouldn't I notice this elsewhere I.e. needing to top up water more regularly? Which I'm not needing to.

Do you know if the kits come with a new pully wheel, or are they extra?

TIA
Assuming you are using volvo coolant there will be an obvious crusty white/green stain from the source of any leak around the underside of the water pump. Yes a pump comes with the toothed pulley.
Old Apr 18th, 2023, 12:00   #6
VolvoRob38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Assuming you are using volvo coolant there will be an obvious crusty white/green stain from the source of any leak around the underside of the water pump. Yes a pump comes with the toothed pulley.
Not white or green, more a rusty red (photo attached)
Spoke with a few garages now and got the price down to £390. This guy said he doubted the crank pully will be rusting/need changing because they are made of hard steel and extremely durable to things like rust. I just assumed rust because of the colour. Bare in mind I took this pic a while ago when changing the alternator, so looks a bit worse now like.

Actually looking at this again it does look more like a stain than rust. Rusty water maybe!?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210926_171733_600x800.jpg (101.5 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by VolvoRob38; Apr 18th, 2023 at 12:02.
VolvoRob38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2023, 12:12   #7
BlueDevil

No expert here, but.. remember how disk can develop rust spots literally overnight, when there's rain or much moist in the air? This looks much like that to me.
Especially since majority of "rust" is near the lip where "smaller cog" is protruding from the bigger one - my idea being that the moisture form the air condenses (which is normal, of course) but it remains for longer on that lip, since it creates something to "hold on to".
Old Apr 19th, 2023, 00:22   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Not white or green, more a rusty red (photo attached)
Spoke with a few garages now and got the price down to £390. This guy said he doubted the crank pully will be rusting/need changing because they are made of hard steel and extremely durable to things like rust. I just assumed rust because of the colour. Bare in mind I took this pic a while ago when changing the alternator, so looks a bit worse now like.

Actually looking at this again it does look more like a stain than rust. Rusty water maybe!?
That is metal dust which has rusted I would say the rubber bonding is coming away, the parts of the pulley are bonded together with rubber and If neglected it will eventually fall off and wreck the engine. so best fit a new lower pulley..

Tags
water pump