Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 Engine Tune

Views : 2435

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 18:01   #1
JimmyMac

Does anybody know how much a engine chip from volvotuning is likely to cost?

I have been caravanning for many years and have recently bought a 2003 XC70 D5(163bhp).

It is a magnificent car i must say but my only niggle is due to the increase in weight over my car before this (2004 V70 D5 163bhp) and my towing requirements i am considering having the engine ECU upgraded.

I belive the new ECU upgrade can increase torque and BHP up to 197bhp?

Does anybody know if this is geniuine, and has anybody anymore information about prices, reviews or has anybody had it fitted themselves?

Any information greatly appriciated! Jimmymac
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 18:16   #2
imac
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac
Does anybody know how much a engine chip from volvotuning is likely to cost?

I have been caravanning for many years and have recently bought a 2003 XC70 D5(163bhp).

It is a magnificent car i must say but my only niggle is due to the increase in weight over my car before this (2004 V70 D5 163bhp) and my towing requirements i am considering having the engine ECU upgraded.

I belive the new ECU upgrade can increase torque and BHP up to 197bhp?

Does anybody know if this is geniuine, and has anybody anymore information about prices, reviews or has anybody had it fitted themselves?

Any information greatly appriciated! Jimmymac
Rica do a 204 or 210bhp map @ £590 I think.

BSR do a map which costs £560.

Powerklick do a tuning box for around £240 who are meant to be very good and worth a try possibly?

I'm going to try a Powerklick on my D5, and then try a RICA demo car and decide if the RICA is worth the extra money.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 13:33   #3
edzmicro

I have the 163bhp D5 XC90 - new June 05 - remapped after 3 weeks by Chip Tuning - involving a remap of the ECU - no nasty box or connectors involved whatsoever.

I drove the car for about 3 weeks prior to remap - and allowing for the new tight engine was "ponderous and relatively noisy" due to the extra work asked of pulling the heavier geartonic D5 - previous car was the manual S60 D5.

After the remap the car was transformed - Quiter - faster - smoother and slightly more economical - average over the last 9 months with very few longer journeys is 30.6 mpg.

I have tried 2 other D5's at the dealer since and they appeared to be different cars to mine - the mechanic who tried mine not knowing its remap history could not understand why it was so different to the other new cars tested.

Chip Tuning is contactable on 01527 577710 - www.chiptuninguk.com.

Be aware though that the V70 will be extremely quick with this remap as it boosts the power of the XC90 D5 Euro III 163 from
163 to 204 / 210 bhp
340 to 435 / 475 torque
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 18:27   #4
tj101c70

I also have a 05 year XC90, (my 4th)
All the previous 3 ran a PSI tune box, along with my current one, an improvement on the standard 163bhp,, until Christmas,, when I downloaded a RICA upgrade to the ecu,(£590) Certainly now pulls much better than standard car, and noticeably more that the powerbox,
98 Defender 50th V8
87 240 GLT Est (Red Man)
tj101c70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 16:42   #5
stevec

Hi,
don't know if this helps or confuses but I fitted a "tuningbox" to my xc90 d5 (163), which greatly improved torque low down but whenever I really put my foot down e.g. overtaking when towing and revs > about 3500 rpm I received a warning message "engine service required", closely followed by "URGENT - engine service required" (eek!) and the car went into limp mode. Dead embarassing when having to abandon an overtake going up motorway hills etc!

All reset fine by stopping the car and switching engine off and on again, but before it was fitted the car revved freely to 4500 quite happily?1

Will take up with supplier and seek refund as I have removed the box now, used to have a PSI on previous car [suzuki] and had no problems with that.

...should've gone for the RICA in the first place....I was a cheapskate!!
stevec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 17:18   #6
imac
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec
Hi,
don't know if this helps or confuses but I fitted a "tuningbox" to my xc90 d5 (163), which greatly improved torque low down but whenever I really put my foot down e.g. overtaking when towing and revs > about 3500 rpm I received a warning message "engine service required", closely followed by "URGENT - engine service required" (eek!) and the car went into limp mode. Dead embarassing when having to abandon an overtake going up motorway hills etc!
Oh dear.

I've had my tuning box on now for about 1,000 miles with no problems whatsoever. I did heavily research beforehand though and went with a well-known and proven name!
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 17:20   #7
imac
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edzmicro
- no nasty box or connectors involved whatsoever.
Purely out of interest, since I have one, what is nasty about the box or connectors?
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 16:23   #8
yeoman
Master Member

Has anyone heard of( Diesel tuner.co.uk )or used their product?
A mate recommended them.
Is an ECU remap not detectable by a main dealer?
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 19:02   #9
DCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by edzmicro
After the remap the car was transformed - Quiter - faster - smoother and slightly more economical - average over the last 9 months with very few longer journeys is 30.6 mpg.
Hi,

Is your XC90 a manual or Geartronic gearbox?

It will be interesting to see how well the transmission, differentials etc. cope with the extra power and torque. With the extra loadings, there are obviously higher stresses on the various drive train components which has to reduce their life to some extent. However how much different is their life with normal driving? If any Volvo experts know of any weak areas on the XC90 drive train, I would like to hear about them.

Otherwise, the whole thing sounds great, and if the fuel consumption improves as well, the conversion will even pay for itself eventually.
DCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 19:32   #10
tj101c70

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoman
Has anyone heard of( Diesel tuner.co.uk )or used their product?
A mate recommended them.
Is an ECU remap not detectable by a main dealer?
Not used on of theirs, always ran the PSI, (over 30k, on various D5,s,,,V70,XC70 & 90) not had any problem,

The Remap is not detectable by VIDA (Volvo tool) until driven !
!
Fuel usage is not easy to tell, as only 9000 miles so still running in,The D5's do get much better,as the miles climb,,

Current XC90 was on a PSI box from 1000 miles, to 8000, so only 1000 on the remap, so far have a feeling a little worse than the PSI box,
The box returned very little mpg figures with it fitted or not, only went for the remap, as the XC needs all the help it can get when towing etc
Brother runs a V70 D5 05 year, also with a remap, and has seen no difference in mpg
98 Defender 50th V8
87 240 GLT Est (Red Man)
tj101c70 is offline   Reply With Quote