Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What is the 480 series like to own/drive?

Views : 2506

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2003, 20:40   #1
Ben H

Default What is the 480 series like to own/drive?

I'm starting a new job soon that will involve at least 40 miles a day of commuting to a nearby market town. My beloved 16v is a bit too mint to use for this sort of mileage and it's a bit optimistic to expect my 340 to give much additional faithful service.

The laws of demand and supply in the car market seem to be on my side though - some really excellent but unpopular cars seem to languish at the bottom of the car market. Along with cars like the Citroen ZX Volcane TD, the 480 is a firm favourite in the £0-£1,000 price bracket as a replacement for my 340.

Basically:

1. What are they like to drive? (I'll save my Valver for thrills)
2. Is a £0-£1,000 example going to be a nightmare?
3. What are the most common faults?
4. At what sort of mileage do they become uneconomical to maintain?
5. Is the 1.7 engine a Renault unit?
6. How much Renault is there in the 480? (am very familiar with Renault!)

Help much appreciated :)

Old Apr 16th, 2003, 04:46   #2
Steve Hogg

Default RE: What is the 480 series like to own/drive?

1. What are they like to drive? (I'll save my Valver for thrills)

Comfortable, economical and fun, buy a good turbo and you will sell the Clio.

2. Is a £0-£1,000 example going to be a nightmare?

Look for one with service history, my turbo has done 185,000 miles and still drives very well.

3. What are the most common faults?

Water leaks (look for rust trails in the boot area), failed info-centers (can be repaired) and braking systems on cars which are not used regularly.

4. At what sort of mileage do they become uneconomical to maintain?

At 185,000 mine is not a problem.

5. Is the 1.7 engine a Renault unit?

With subtle modifications.

6. How much Renault is there in the 480? (am very familiar with Renault!)

Not much.

Steve Hogg

Volvo 480ES
Volvo 480Turbo
Volvo 760GLE Estate
A few non Volvo's
Steve Hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 08:07   #3
Ice Man

It's a great car to drive esp. the Turbo. Great fuel economy, a well looked aftered car can easily do 200K without major problems.

My 480T had done 145K with original clutch and Exhuast. They need to be cared for, so make sure you get one of an enthuiast.

I think my car was the only one in the world which did'nt have electrical problems or a leak into the truck !

IceMan
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 09:54   #4
Dan F
Premier Member

>5. Is the 1.7 engine a Renault unit?
>
>With subtle modifications.

Just to add that the head had input from Porsche to get it to Volvos specs. It was improved upon throughout its cycle as well, so the later model you can get the better.

Cheers,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 09:55   #5
alfonzobonzo

I recently bought a 480 ES 2.0L 1994, looks awsome in black (no stripe)

I love it, although sometimes I wish it had a bit more torque. although top end speed isnt a problem, takes alot of consentration not to do a ton on the motorway, its easily done without much extra efort on the engine.

I'm sure there must be a way of unlocking a bit more power out of this beast,

anyone got any ideas on this? I know you can get chip mods for the turbo versions but what about non turbo???

:oP
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 16:35   #6
Ben H

>1. What are they like to drive? (I'll save my Valver for
>thrills)
>
>Comfortable, economical and fun, buy a good turbo and you
>will sell the Clio.
>
>2. Is a £0-£1,000 example going to be a
>nightmare?
>
>Look for one with service history, my turbo has done 185,000
>miles and still drives very well.

Thanks guys

I wasn't immediately keen on a turbo as turbos tend to be expensive to fix when they go wrong in my experience (ex-GT Turbo owner) even though we're talking about a Volvo. But if they'll do the best part of 200k miles, even given the Renault DNA, then I might change my mind! I'll reserve judgement on the "driving thrills" until I have a blast in one, but can't see it threatening the homologated 16v/Williams chassis which is very different from run of the mill Clios (runs for cover from angry 480 fans!).

Seeing as my budget will probably only stretch to an early 1.7 or a moth-bitten turbo, what sort of mpg do these deliver? And what are parts prices like? I already have a trusted Volvo specilaist to hand.

Thanks
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 18:33   #7
C6REW

Hi Ben,

Where do you live? You could come to the 480 meeting on 19th April at Chirton, Devizes, Wilts. I have put a message elsewhere but you can contact me for details. chris@swi.org.uk

There will be a number of 480's there with a gang of well informed guys to chat with.

Regards

Chris
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 03:13   #8
ChrisB

I bought a 155K miles '93 K 440 Turbo recently for £500 recently couple of scratches and whatnot on it, but it's a bargain for what they go for.

Euro Car Parts and GSF are good for common parts. Turbo engines are strong if oil changes and general servicing is kept up.

Turbo is £200 to recon. Clutch is £90 for Sachs. Both annoying to change so labour is the stinger unless you do it yourself.

I get 35mpg ish on motorways at 75-80mph. Late 20's round town if you go easy.

PS, mine will be up for sale very soon. With a few uprated bits and lots of spares. ;)
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 07:59   #9
Ben H

Thanks for the replies.

The idea of going to a meet sounds great as I know it's a good way to get to know a car and coincidentally, my girfriend's parents have a house near Devizes (well, Amesbury!). But I'm well and truly chained to my desk in Bristol at the moment as I have to had my Masters reserach in this coming week. I may well also be interested if your car does come up for sale Chris.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 08:38   #10
C6REW

Hi Ben,

As you know Amesbury is only 10 or so miles down the road. Perhaps you will need a break for a couple of hours over the weekend, drop in to the meet on the way through to your prospective in law's.

Nice to see you if you can.

Regards

Chris