Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Full time LPG

Views : 3714

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2010, 15:09   #1
Numnuts

Default Full time LPG

Hi,
I've just converted my 240 to gas and every is hunky dory thing apart from lumpy tick over.

I've saved £50 in fuel in my first week, which stared me thinking, is it possible to dump the petrol all together.

I'm guessing there will be starting problems on mornings when its -20. Apart from using a blow torch on the vaporiser is there any systems available to pre-heat the vaporiser, perhaps similar to glow plugs on a diesel.
Numnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 15:21   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I used to run my 340 LPG only with no petrol system remaining at all and have now done the same with the 240 estate. My dad has been running his etste LPG only for quite some time now also. There is no need to fit any kind of preheater to the regulator unless you live in a extreamly cold climate.

All you need do is start on LPG as normal and just let the engine tick over for a short time to allow it to warm up.

Something worth considering would be a kenlow preheater designed for reduceing engine wear caused by cold running. It a heater that is powered by the mains and taps into teh heator hoses to warm the coolant before starting. You dont need it for LPG only but as LPg increases engine life this would be a step closer to an engine that would not realy wear out at all.

The lump tick over is probably the injector seals if you 240 is K jetronic. If not check the inlet manifold gasget for leaks.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 16:41   #3
Numnuts

Hi,
Now, how cold is cold, bit of a frost trap here, regularly see -10 in a normal winter. This year it fell of the end of the garden thermometer at -25 don't know how accurate it was, but its not been the same since. I'll have to invest in a proper weather station.

I shall have to experiment with cold starting on gas.

When you say no petrol system at all. Is that tank, pumps and injection gubbins removed. That would save a ton of weight.

How big a gas tank do you think you could fit in the space left by the fuel tank?.
This has set off a whole new train of thought, mmmmmmm!.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 07:04   #4
stevesvolvo

I am slightly puzzled by this - the other day on my lpg Vectra ( sorry for the cross forum debate!) my car stopped as if it had run out of fuel . This was despite the fact I had about 40 litres of lpg on board. I had actually run out of petrol so when I put a gallon in it started and was fine. I always keep a bit of unleaded in the tank and all is OK.
I s that correct that you need some unleaded just to start and run the car?
Thanks
stevesvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 10:31   #5
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numnuts View Post
Hi,
Now, how cold is cold, bit of a frost trap here, regularly see -10 in a normal winter. This year it fell of the end of the garden thermometer at -25 don't know how accurate it was, but its not been the same since. I'll have to invest in a proper weather station.

I shall have to experiment with cold starting on gas.

When you say no petrol system at all. Is that tank, pumps and injection gubbins removed. That would save a ton of weight.

How big a gas tank do you think you could fit in the space left by the fuel tank?.
This has set off a whole new train of thought, mmmmmmm!.
Russia is cold and freezing is a big problem for them but even scotland should be warm enough run LPG only. When it is very cold below -5c then the trick is to let the engine idle for a few moments to warm up before setting off. You do need a good regulator to run from such low temperature and not all makes are up to it. I use a carb switch so it automaticaly starts on lpg but you could just fit a safety car (rpm sensor) and have no switch.

No prtrol system mean non of it at all filler gone, tank gone, fuel lines, pumps and metering head all gone.

For you tank options it would help to know if it is an est or sal you have. In place of the petrol tank you can get a 35lts cylinder to fit. It is a bit more but nothing huge.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 10:35   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesvolvo View Post
I am slightly puzzled by this - the other day on my lpg Vectra ( sorry for the cross forum debate!) my car stopped as if it had run out of fuel . This was despite the fact I had about 40 litres of lpg on board. I had actually run out of petrol so when I put a gallon in it started and was fine. I always keep a bit of unleaded in the tank and all is OK.
I s that correct that you need some unleaded just to start and run the car?
Thanks
This is realy for another thread tbh but I'll answer the question here.

Provided your vectra has the correct type of system for it ie multi point injection then it will need petrol to start. Some systems actualy are set to run on petrol on idle full load or if you have a gdi then small amounts are injected all the time.

For typical cars once it has switched over to LPG it stays on LPG untill you either switch off or fun out of fuel. With most systems it is possible to emergancy start on LPG. The method for doing that will depend on the system fitted. For modern multi point injection cars I would not recomend running LPG only but it can be done.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 12:04   #7
Numnuts

Thanks classicswede,

Tried it this morning started after 4 or 5 seconds and it was frosty.

Its an estate I've got and currently have a 110l tank between the wheel arches.
Obviously I loose the load area with this, which has started me thinking about loosing the fuel tank and utilising the space. With a bit of cutting and welding perhaps raising the floor a little I could squeeze a couple of 50l cylinders in there.

I shall have to get underneath with my tape.
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 22:05   #8
johnnyboy01

Hi All my car has LPG but it starts by default on petrol Recently I had problems with the fuel pump which rendered stuck had to get it recovered. Would be interested to find out how it starts on LPG.
johnnyboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 22:39   #9
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

If You tell me what make and type of LPG system you have I can explain how to start on LPG
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 23:28   #10
johnnyboy01

Thanks classicswede I have a Bi Gas multi point system fitted in a Range Rover
johnnyboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote